I LOVE the campaings ... pls do more :,)

OH MY LORD! i only played the first campaing and im loving it!! for me the campaings are the best narrated and fun to play of the saga . i never had the same fun making nice looking citys and destroying my enemies in a campaing , They are nice looking , nice narrated and dont forget! they are fun to play .

And now my question… would you make more? for new civs that comes in new dlc for example? Would you make more campaings for them? it would be great. but i know that making a campaing in aoe4 is FAR more difficult to make than a aoe2 campaing because cinematic CGI and more.

20 Likes

Are you talking about more campaigns for the base Civs or new Civs? I’m sure they’ll add more in the DLC, but for the base factions I doubt it (although it would be really cool).

I would like both …

here is the live-action documentary part is difficult to do (recordings, interviews, etc …) but the rest (narration, maps, etc …) seem to me “” “” More feasible “” “”

I have to admitt that I enjoy the campaigns too. I’m not usually a campaign player, but due to the fact that missing features make the game unplayable for me in PvP, I actually started playing the campaigns instead until serious improvements are made.

The Mongol campaign is my favourite so far.

What are the missing features? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Oh sorry , I wrote that wrong , I was asking if they were going to do more campaings in future dlc , like aoe2 did with the civs dlc that also added a campaing.

Oh, I dont want to start again here, come on, you’ve been following the forums all this time :joy:

1 Like

I had been offline for a few days haha , just visiting some topics and nothing more , do you have a thread to show me the missing features , I really would like to see them lmao

My favorite missions in the campaign are the ones where they have you do something other than play the game (IE build an economy and spam out units) to win, for instance the knight quest as the French that one was neat.

My favorite part about the campaign is the older build they use, I like it better for the most part. Not too sad to see the increased armor on knights tech go as they are already a super strong unit, but the feel of the crossbow damage and the slower fire rate made them feel far more impactful and less archer 2.0 but better. Same with the Hand cannon although I like the damage decrease they did in live build but it could use the attack speed reduction that it had in campaign as it currently is just crossbow 2.0 but better.

Edit: also the ranged units using melee is very nice and the ability to see their entire reload animations which are once again very nice.

1 Like

There you go, found a .doc file where I saved stuff like missing features and improvements needed, most of it is from WinterGaming, but I agree with his points, and some I added myself. It doesnt touch on civ balance needed at all, only technical stuff and there’s more out there, but this is my list:

Lack of proper custom hotkeys (cant bind extra mouse buttons, “go to building” hotkeys or “select all buildings of type X” hotkeys are totally missing, cant bind key combinations like ctrl + space etc); inability to see all individual units in the UI selection box and select single units rather than just an entire group of the same type; no higher ground damage advantage

Inability to see all individual units in the UI selection box and select single units rather than just an entire group of the same type;

No patrol function;

No unit stances;

No pause button, not even in single player;

No exclusive control groups, one unit can be hotkeyed to multiple control groups;

Hit boxes dont work properly;

Waypoint symbol is too big and blocks the view of what is going on in that specific place;

Can’t see waypoint in fog of war;

No indicator of shift queue/no attack move shift Q;

Weird 4 selection box building setup instead of Basic/Advanced or Eco/Military;

Upgrades icons all look the same and are in inconsistent order;

When you select multiple units, some (not all) abilities disappear (longbow+pikemen ex);

Cant ungarrison rams if one of them among the selection has no units inside;

Rams need to walk to a certain new point to ungarrison instead of doing it just there;

Cant see market prices without hover, defeating half the purpose of hotkeys;

Traders dont show up on army supply/idle worker hover;

Always health bars are transparent sometimes for units but not buildings;

Selecting multiple buildings has seemingly random units able to build with some others/upgrades showing up in the box for completely different units;

Input lag in building things and issuing commands;

Alt key CANNOT BE UNBOUND and is forced to camera pan;

Clickable large box showing Chinese dynasty is nearly in middle of screen;

Objectives are always visible even when irrelevant and take up too much space;

Minimap is ridiculously cluttered and unreadable past early game, especially in team games;

No UI/minimap scaling;

No ability to garrison/ungarrison individual units;

Canceling a building is stop command, not delete or esc;

Reordering a vill to something else doesn’t clear that villager’s buildings foundations – you have to manually cancel the foundations yourself by clicking on each;

Hotkey functionality is again missing for Select all [Barracks, Stable, Archery, Market etc);

Only have production queue when clicking on building, no global queue;

Production queue is showing units individually INSTEAD of grouped together in the same type with a number. There’s no point to list them individually in the production queue, one click should cancel one unit, shift click should cancel all. They got this the exact wrong way around with the UI selection panel written bellow;

UI selection panel doesnt show units selected individually, INSTEAD shows them only in groups of the same type shown with a single icon and a number. So exactly the way they should have been shown for the production queue written above, they are shown on the UI selection panel instead. This makes it impossible to micro units properly from the UI selection panel e.g. cant draw low HP unit back, cant ungarrison only 1 villager from a tower etc. It makes it easier for casuals to do a general micro from the UI selection panel, but we should have the option to choose between the 2 types at least.

There is actually no button to bring up menu, only escape or f10;

Escape also is how you cancel commands but if you click twice it brings up menu animation;

Default camera is zoomed in from max (which is still way too low);

No camera locations/camera hotkeys;

When you “focus” a selection, it averages the camera between them. If one vil is on each side of the map “focus” will show you empty space in the center;

Alt key is rotate camera – DEFAULT & UNCHANGEABLE/UNBINDABLE - alt tabbing for 2 seconds literally means your camera is off when you come back, let alone being functional for hotkeys/selection like AOE2/SC2;

Match ends and kicks you out of game immediately, no time to look over base etc;

Can’t see map after game finishes;

Game ends in custom games if host leaves the game, WTF???;

Production tab doesn’t exist in spectating games;

Sounds are from player perspective, especially annoying in teams - in spectating games;

Info tabs take up way too much of the screen for what they are (20% of screen to say player 1 has 3 total landmarks) - in spectating games;

Higher ground gives you no bonus anymore, makes vertical positioning pointless – still debatable if thisd is good or bad;

No “everyone” cam, locked to player perspective - in spectating games;

Following player view incredibly laggy, breaks on rotation - in spectating games;

No upgrades, units or “army value” info - in spectating games;

2 Likes

Holy ■■■■ , they are a lot . It will take me some minutes to read . But yeah thanks lol

1 Like

Added these 2 above, forgot about them:
Production queue is showing units individually INSTEAD of grouped together in the same type with a number. There’s no point to list them individually in the production queue, one click should cancel one unit, shift click should cancel all. They got this the exact wrong way around with the UI selection panel written bellow;

UI selection panel doesnt show units selected individually, INSTEAD shows them only in groups of the same type shown with a single icon and a number. So exactly the way they should have been shown for the production queue written above, they are shown on the UI selection panel instead. This makes it impossible to micro units properly from the UI selection panel e.g. cant draw low HP unit back, cant ungarrison only 1 villager from a tower etc. It makes it easier for casuals to do a general micro from the UI selection panel, but we should have the option to choose between the 2 types at least.

These are not missing features , these are problems (for those who thinks this is a problem) , and these are part of the game design

I think this is not going to be changed because this is a game design thing and also they would need to rethink the UI

Lies. In single player just press escape and the game is paused.

I think this is not a missing feature , this is a bug or a problem but anyways…

Again , not a missing feature , just a problem.

Same thing… not a missing feature , just a game design or a bug.

Game design , not missing feature …

Problem , not missing feature.

Yeah that’s the first missing feature. But it’s more like a problem

Problems , not missing feautures…

Problems… not missing feautures…

OH MU LORD FINALLY! The 2 missing feature!

Same thing but yeah , 3th missing feauture

Lol :joy:, yeah that’s clearly a problem .

4th missing feauture

5th missing feauture.

The first one is a missing feauture and the second one is a game design thing , I think.

Missing features, bugs, problems or whatever, call them what you want, but these are things they need to work on.

So I’m reffering to a pause function, where you can still see the game, not pressing escape and bringing the menu on the screen. You know, this is needed in multiplayer as well in case a break is needed, or especially in tournaments if there’s an issue and they need to pause the game. People, especially casual players, also need it in single player where they would pause to think about next move, check action/button descriptions, issue orders (ofc in MP you cant move camera or issue orders while paused) etc - this feature was present in every AoE game so far btw.

I’ve seen many many people complain about lack of a pause function.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying the campaigns too, having so much fun! And I really liked the part of the documentaries, they must have been a lot of work to do and must have been expensive, but they are great, very intelligent and instructive. I just didn’t like the stories very much, they seem not very exciting, and as each campaign shows a much longer timeline, there aren’t very deep heroes so far… This takes away a lot of the emotion we had in the classic AOE II campaigns . Another problem is the icons for evolutions, and for units. They’re simple, but it’s hard for you to know which unit you’re going to do with them without taking a moment to look at them. I remember that the icons in AOE 3 showed exactly its unit, not a spectrum of it, just with the visible outlines. Well, on the whole the campaigns are very good indeed, although not as exciting as the ones in AOE II. Maybe we gamers can make exciting campaigns and recreate some of the AOE II campaigns using this new technology?

2 Likes

yeah the can

but they are right? joan d arc , and the norman campaing

except on aoe3 , (multiplayer pause) in case it really exist please say me how because i want to save a lot of games with my friends

No continue smashing your enemy base with cannons and trebuchets after he/she surrendered.

That’s quite pissing me off lol

1 Like

I’m curious if the devs will continue using videos when they add more campaigns with DLCs. It seems like doing so would perhaps slow future additions? I wonder though if animated stories like AoE3 had is just as time consuming developing as live recording, which were continued in a timely fashion with it’s DLCs. If the devs did need to simplify DLCs to get them published, I’d probably be okay if they returned to the more basic AoE2 story mode with drawings and voice actor story tellers if it had the same emotion quality.