I think a lot of old and middle English sentences are grammatically incorrect

Greetings Guys!

Just saw a few beta multiplayer matches on YouTube, featuring the English nation, and I think I’d heard a lot of grammatically incorrect sentences. :slight_smile:

Just a few examples: present participle forms of verbs (-ande, -ende) are used where they shouldn’t be, incorrectly forming some kind of weird present continuous tense that did not exist in that time period. Or wrong form of the verb is used after the wille(n) auxiliary verb, omitting the -n suffix from the end of the infinitive form of the second verb, and such like.

I can imagine that there is only a bunch of people whom are disturbed by these noticeable-only-to-a-few errors… but it would be nice to check those old and middle English lines and consult with some experts, because it is a veeeery good direction where this game is going, and that level of language variety adds so much to the immersion!

Keep up the good work, can’t wait to see more of the newest chapter of this legendary franchise!

Regards,
K4pitany

4 Likes

Wow, I’d be very curious to see a breakdown of what they are saying, what that means, and what would be grammatically more accurate. I’m a bit of a nerd about civ vocals in this franchise but not in any position to translate old/middle/early modern English (at least I assume that’s approximately what languages are being spoken).

2 Likes

Is the OP actually a connoisseur of old English language? I’d be impressed if that was the case.

2 Likes

Hi there! No, by any means, I’m just a hobby linguist. :slight_smile: I spent a few years learning old and middle English, but I’m very far from an expert. I’m not 100% sure about what I heard, but it struck my ears, and if they do say what I heard, then I think it’s incorrect. :slight_smile:

But of course this is the 1001st thing on the checklist following bugs, balancing and other stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like