Iam afraid about the next patch

hAvE sOmE pAtIeNcE.

5 Likes

I am done with this game realy, i played against Rus and Mongol too much recently and i canā€™t wait until Mars to get, maybe, a balance update.

PPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS i donā€™t know who is in charge of this game but FIXE IT. This need to be 1 patch / 2 week at least for a young game like that, not by decadeā€¦

1 Like

Completely wrong. But people will believe you anyway, because the position of ā€œIā€™m not a fan of the gameā€ forgives any criticism of it generally, however inaccurate.

Essence was a new engine for CoH, or rather, as new as game engines get, with a lot of new tech baked in from whatever they kept from DoW. DoW was based on the Impossible Creatures engine, which is a very different creature to what they used for Homeworld (from memory). I didnā€™t mod Homeworld, but from what Iā€™ve seen of it, itā€™s pretty different structurally to anything I did with DoW when modding it (or DoW II / III).

Technical turnover is a reality in any software company, and turnover in games is particularly brutal. Itā€™s not unique to Relic (or Paradox, etc). And sure, it can result in a situation where newer hires have less understanding of legacy systems and toolchains. But the issue there is maintenance and documentation of legacy systems, and the training of new hires in it. Not the new hires themselves. It also depends on the resource allotted to any one project, which ultimately comes down to ā€œbusiness decisionsā€, as distasteful as they can be. Nothing players really need to be concerned about, generally, unless they want to understand why the industry is what it is.

But certainly, your engine speculation is completely off-base. DoW III had no technical issues in the version of Essence they were using and the game ran fantastically (even though it made some trade-offs for the sake of performance, like a fixed camera angle). DoW IIIā€™s issue was the core gameplay not sustaining a multiplayer community (first and foremost).

3 Likes

Aoe4 made me realise how incredible aoe2 is. There is a physical little world built within the engine. Arrows are actually travelling through the space. In aoe4 the damage from a ranged unit is just calculated as it fires and a pretend animation plays to make it look like it is moving through a physical space, it isnā€™t. Thatā€™s just one little example but yeah, aoe4 made me love aoe2 even more.

7 Likes

Nobody wants to face the same two boring op civs for months. Most people donā€™t want to play them every game either and those that do are sweat lordā€™s that just want to abuse the most broken stuff for a chance to win. Team games are trash because most people choose china and just try and spam fire lancers. Late game is trash with siege WW2 simulator. People that complain about these things donā€™t care so much because they lose to them a lot but the fact itā€™s boring as hell to do/play against. Every sweat lord and his dog picks mongols and rus and even if I beat them itā€™s still boring because I know Iā€™ll just face the same two civs every game that do the same stale and boring strategy.

1 Like

Completely wrong. But people will believe you anyway, because the position of ā€œIā€™m not a fan of the gameā€ forgives any criticism of it generally, however inaccurate.

Essence was a new engine for CoH, or rather, as new as game engines get, with a lot of new tech baked in from whatever they kept from DoW. DoW was based on the Impossible Creatures engine, which is a very different creature to what they used for Homeworld (from memory). I didnā€™t mod Homeworld, but from what Iā€™ve seen of it, itā€™s pretty different structurally to anything I did with DoW when modding it (or DoW II / III)

I think you might have interpreted me wrong. If you play some Dow 1 and Homeworld original you will see that yes they are not using the same engine, not sure why you would think they are? The way both games feel and the way you control the user interface as well as the hotkeys has many similarities. These similarities are then also adopted into the Essence engine later on with coh. But they are not the same engine, no one stated they were.

My point was that the original engine was developed by the old Relic staff in the era of coh1 that have since moved on and the new Relic staff are still using the Essence engine that we see today. The bugs that are the strings attached when Aoe4 was released then later on with the Spring patch is probably because of this inexperience of the new staff and poor adaptation of the Essence engine into Aoe4. If Relic could fix these bugs & balance issues then why donā€™t they just do it? Why is there no patrol function added? Because they are not part of the original engine which someone else made and its taking the new team forever to figure it out, this is just me speculating.

But certainly, your engine speculation is completely off-base. DoW III had no technical issues in the version of Essence they were using and the game ran fantastically (even though it made some trade-offs for the sake of performance, like a fixed camera angle). DoW IIIā€™s issue was the core gameplay not sustaining a multiplayer community (first and foremost).

Okay? But what has that got to do with what I wrote? What technical issues regarding Dow3? Ran fine for me, I actually really enjoyed the game. Iā€™m very aware of Dow 3ā€™s shortcomings and why Relic discontinued supporting the game although thatā€™s a bit off topic. What Relic did was hinted at changes to Dow3 that would make it more balanced and playable, then later on saying they had a surprise coming but they instead released some new Hero units that no one wanted. This is when I stopped.Then shortly after Relic officially abandoned the game. And I see the same patterns here in Aoe4. Who knows what we will get with Aoe4 moving forwards.

You put forward a theory. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with doing that. Iā€™m just saying itā€™s wrong (or I consider it so likely to be wrong that Iā€™m saying it simply is). Engine work is iterative. Age IV is on something like Essence 4.0 (with vCoH on the original Essence engine). Iā€™ve been around Relic games a long time. Iā€™ve even watched things like GDC presentations on how they adapted the Essence engine (into 2.0) for DoW II (mainly melee combat and related pathfinding, though there was a bunch of other stuff too). There are always new programmers, working on old code. This will have been a problem for Relic every time they made a new game. It wouldnā€™t be a problem unique to Age IV (which ties into my DoW III point at the end).

Programmers work with old code all the time. I work with old code on a weekly or monthly basis. Some of it my own!

I personally think they were rushed before Christmas to figure a plan of action out and then start implementing. Thatā€™s just a complete guess from my side of things, given the lack of patching up until November and then the relatively rapid patching before Christmas (three patches between November and Christmas, and I think none before then).

There are a lot of reasons why bugs donā€™t get patched in a timely manner. Itā€™s not good for the developers or the players, but there are many reasons why such a thing could happen. I dislike defaulting to inexperience, when there are many more possible reasons. Thatā€™s just me.

Because youā€™re talking about the employees currently working at Relic struggling to handle the game engine and / or maintenance of it. Therefore this criticism should also apply to DoW III - but it doesnā€™t. So either Relic have turned over a majority of their staff inbetween finishing work on DoW III and starting on Age IV . . . or your assumption is off-base. No?

They are on holidays , donā€™t expect a patch soon

Its a great disrespect for Relic gaming. I believe Mcirosoft hold rights for age of empires and gave contract to Relic. I am not sure how it works. But looking at things Relic has really damaged the legacy of AOE. AOE3 for e.g No or very few professional player played, I could see Viper sticking to AOE2 itself. I guess Relic might not have been a great choice for Microsoft. There is certainly lack of good research and execution. I hope microsoft take it into their own hands and recreate 4.1 or 4.2 something which does not have so many problems.

1 Like

hey guys we have new skins for you :smiley: haha !

Maybe they wanted to destroy legacy of Age of empires intentionally and put it to dust so that people switch to other RTS games made by Relic.

A good percentage of profit might be going to Microsoft for AOE.

Cut throat competetion.

1 Like

Total war 3 WarHammer coming in February and thereā€™s Sparta ancient wars definitive edition on Steam.

I think Relic Is a good Developer but not so good. (Creative Assembly are the best and also Grimlore are very good: they have released the last Spellforce3). I played CoH3 and itā€™s much Better than AOE4: Essence Engine Is Simply Great in CoH3. So my Guess Is The main mistake have been trying to make Aoe4 too similar to AOE2 and in this way Schlappi, the Art directory, done a very bad work and this Is the reason why the main gaming sites said the Graphic Is not good and this game Is not the Evolution of RTS which many people were waiting for.

1 Like

Not buying any other Relic/Sega games for doing this to AOE4.

2 Likes

Iā€™m playing It with Gamepass

Yea sureā€¦ Warhammer 3 is going to happen an will be popular for its singleplayer content.

Most of the players here are looking for a multiplayer RTS and Aoe4 is the only new game.

This tbh. I bought it on steam for Ā£50, I think thats $85ish Canadian dollars, I now have the game pass.

Jokes on me haha :smiley:

I donā€™t buy games since i have a monthly subscription for Gamepass PC at 14 euro. (I have Gamepass ultimate). The only things that i purchased were DLC for AOE2, AOE3de and Halo wars.

This will have been a problem for Relic every time they made a new game. It wouldnā€™t be a problem unique to Age IV (which ties into my DoW III point at the end).

Sounds like youā€™re agreeing with me but also not agreeing at the same time. Donā€™t really get you.

To me it seems that inexperience in the industry as a whole is the reason why these obvious balance issues are never fixed. Because anyone with any sort of RTS experience can blatantly see the balance issues and bugs this game has but they simply are not fixed in any timely fashion. Like I said before if Relic knew how to fix these isses then why donā€™t they just do it. Probably because the canā€™t or canā€™t be bothered.

Because youā€™re talking about the employees currently working at Relic struggling to handle the game engine and / or maintenance of it. Therefore this criticism should also apply to DoW III - but it doesnā€™t. So either Relic have turned over a majority of their staff inbetween finishing work on DoW III and starting on Age IV . . . or your assumption is off-base. No?

I think that Dow3 was a much better fit for the Essence engine and that it naturally worked. The engine adapted for Aoe4 has too many core RTS features missing that you see from games like Aoe2 and SC2. Not going to go to deep into these issues they are quite obvious, and they are all outlined in other threads.

Its almost like Relic just ported their engine over and thought, yeah itā€™ll be fine. But it isnā€™t.

1 Like

Yes, and the SP mode should be a fundamental thing for every game. The World map of every Total War game gives to players a lot of fine and every game could be very different: this Means longevity and popularity.

This features for Aoe4 would had been very important for the most of players: the casual players.

Weā€™ll see what the future Will reserve to us.