[Idea] Quality of Life Suggestion (Protoype / Demo included)

Thank you for elaborating! So maybe the totally imba strategy did not work, because I never bothered pressing F. Well, I guess I have to try this in a few games and report back to you. :slight_smile:

It’s G btw.

F is the default on HD

Show some recs to this guy from cyan alvein using macros for deselecting monks in the User patch, so he gets an idea how broken monks are in hands of someone that knows how they work, in DE is 10 times easier to do that because the unit response, in fact in the current DE monks<light cav and eagles.

That is why projects like this shouldn’t see the light, using macros or writing a code to get extra help to play the game should be forbidden.

1 Like

Couldn’t find them, if you’ve the links or the youtube videos somewhere saved, you should post them. That is exactly what I was going to show at first, but then relied on the Viper video, since it’s “similar”.

2 Likes

Played 6 games with an “improved” deselect command which also instantly issues stop after deselecting a unit. (So it’s even better than the version which should be implemented). Monks are undeniably stronger, than before. Still not broken imho. They are also substantially more fun to use. And I cannot even describe how much more fun they are.

If only one player has an advantage, it’s unfair for sure. If both have it, I don’t see the problem:

You are suggesting that a (buggy) unit is potentially op and balanced by a wonky control scheme solely. This is not a status quo worth protecting! Balance can be achieved in many ways and gameplay / mechanics should be in focus.

If Viper is able to take a game off of an opponent with monks only
 Well, I have seen him win games without building a single military unit
 And while the cyan clip demonstrates, that monks can be controlled comfortably, it does not tell too much about balance, because a) his opponent apparently does not have this functionality and b) the fight seen in the video is already over anyway (10 monks, rams, cavallry and vills against a mostly undefended base).

You fail to see the point, when the counter unit (scouts) turn irrelevant when people can micro it better than Viper due to the new function, it causes a change in the whole meta of the game where other units become irrelevant.

Everyone who is even decent at the game will understand this once they see how monk + siege pushes etc. function.

Monks are by standard unfair units, they don’t only remove an unit from you but they also give the opponent the very same unit. So each knight you lose to a monk means you lose the resources worth of one knight, but also your opponent gains the resources worth of one knight over you.

If you fight army vs army, both of the armies lose units and one comes out on top, so standard unit efficiency is not one sided ever, where as monks are one sided in terms of their efficiency when used correctly.

If you make using monks easier, it gets ridiculous really quickly and the whole meta shifts.

2 Likes

I like your implications.

And if it gets ridiculous and a unit is clearly op, you adjust it by balancing the monk. There are many ways to keep balance.

Increase conversion time = Monks become useless on their own and in monk + siege pushes, which means that kills one part of Arena/bf metagame as well as makes countering elephants hard/impossible, thus changing the meta altogether again.

Increase monk cost = FC monk builds become harder and worse, while making them ten times stronger, if you’re able to pull it off.

Increase the building cost = again dealing with elephants etc. becomes much harder, monks are ten times stronger still.

Move monks to imperial age = Elephants again impossible to deal with, monks are still many times stronger against cavalry armies.

There is just no solution inside current meta.

If you say so.

It’s a complicated topic which, without data, is extremely difficult – and from this point on, probably useless to discuss. In the vivid tournament scene which is flourishing at the moment, I do not want the devs to simply implement a potential meta breaking feature. I believe we both share the same opinion here. This brought me to another idea: [Idea] Experimental Featureset Button (similar to PTR)

I want AoE to be the best game it possibly could be, rather than a great game which is stuck because the devs are scared to cause an uproar within the community. I see room for improvements and would like them to have a chance to be considered.

1 Like

I wish there was a way to include the deselect button in the game, it’d be so handy in so many different ways. But simply making monks broken makes it a no go.

What comes to the experimental features, sure it could work
 But it’d be hard to get capable players testing it. Pros mostly don’t care about stuff.

1 Like

this change would add more problems than solutions, you would have to rebalance monks and monk civs completely

maybe you could make this not work with monks, but that would be inconsistent and confusing