Ideas for a cavalry bonus for Poles

So what’s the point of them then? Being totally useless and not balanced?

1 Like

would be accurate too right? i rly hope this is the case, or at least something like cuman mercenaries. but all i want is the elite hussar

Which is exactly why I won’t be a fan of this unit.

Also a non-elite Magyar Huszar is stronger than a Hussar. I don’t get why you want Imp Hussar stronger than even elite one.

Why do you think that Winged Hussar would be an upgrade to normal Hussar?
Historically Winged Hussars were heavy cavalry.
Hence Winged Hussar could be replacement for Cavalier or Paladin.

2 Likes

I don’t think they should be an upgrade to the hussar line. They should be more like steppe lancers actually, but of course better.

But looks like Devs made the decision to give them at least a special hussar appearance and don’t make them a UU.

As Poles did actually comparably well against german AND various eastern forces which often featured a lot of cavalry archers, they might give them a bonus against cav archers or something which makes them stronger specifically against them As the obluch is obviously targeted against teutons and bulgarians heavy infantry, they need something to deal with cav archers, otherwise their campaigns would be a complete mess.

Well, pretty obvious they won’t get paladin. But I see no reason to remove cavalier. Maybe even a specific bonus to them, to make it a viable choice over the winged hussar in some situations.

2 Likes

I never thought that in the first place. I think it is just a reskinned hussar only for Poles (and maybe for some other Eastern European Cavalry civs).

We’ve already seen that they have knights and cavalier.

I think the exact same.

I don’t think this will be the case either as it will be very likely a steppe lancer like tech tree decoration unit.

1 Like

Sometimes I want to change the game in such a way that things become historically accurate without changing the actual balance.

Like I would interchange the position and stats of Knights and Cavaliers. So basically Cavaliers → Knights → Paladins. Lancer (model same as Steppe Lancer) becomes an upgrade for Light Cavalry (replacing the Hussar upgrade) with same stats.

The Paladin is a bit vague since it is mostly French or German and exclusive to Western Europe. Cavaliers be upgraded to Winged Hussars for Lithuanians, Slavs (theoretical), Bulgarians and Poles. These Winged Hussars are just a reskin and rename of Paladin. Obviously these Winged Hussars are heavy Cavalry as they were in late middle ages.

1 Like

definitely don’t want to open this can of worms. we change paladins and then it becomes “what about archers and infantry” and soon the entire game looks much different and you have to remember 10 different versions of every unit.

2 Likes

What about a regional unit - Paladin, exclusive to HRE, Franks, Spanish and possibly Bohemians. Of course the middle east also opens a lot of problems with Persians, Byzantines and Cumans also having Paladins.

still not a fan of it at all, I’d rather just leave it alone and leave that type of stuff to mods that aren’t part of the base game. like i said - once you start changing stuff in the name of “Historical Accuracy” everyone is going to jump on that train and soon the game will look and feel vastly different.

That would be more historically unaccurated. Why ? In some languages Cavalier direct translation means Horseman. But in reality Cavalier is higher ranked knight. ( if You are intrested I can send some text )

Also Lancer as Light Cavalry is bad choice IMO. Medieval knight main weapon was spear/lanc so knight should be already Lancer ( like in AoE II beta, also can send picture if intrested ). If so the Lancer in game could be just “Camel Raider” ( anti-cavalry cavalry ) for Europeans, but I thinks It’s fine as it is now.

1 Like

Everyone on horseback used lances, especially Winged Hussars. Yet they are shown using swords. I was just using an already existing model (Steppe Lancer) to make something good. Even the Paladin is shown wrong. If you get the chance, see the Frankish Paladin sprite. It uses a lance, which looks stronger than the lances of Huszars and Lancers. So you can guess it is a heavy Cavalry unit.

3 Likes

We already have mods to reskin units according to civs or region. I don’t wanna ruin the simplicity of the game by making those reskins official. If someone wants to add historical accuracy, s/he can download mods for that.

Sandy admitted in an interview that it was a mistake to change the lances into swords. I think it is fine as it is now. We already have a lot of cavalry units that use lance and some people can’t differentiate them easily.

2 Likes

agreed 100% with this.

1 Like

Yes, I know. Game doesn’t need to be 100% historically accurated. It’s great as it is now.

Seems like they did it in AOE IV. Every single melee cavalry units uses a lance, charges and breaks it, then magically summons a sword and continues fighting.
The only exception I found so far is English starting scout. It uses a bow to hunt and a tiny sword/big knife to fight similar to AOE II villagers.

We need the wings removed for the general Hussar unit. Only the Polish hussar should have them. The Magyar Huszar can have them I’m not too fussed.

2 Likes

How can you distinguish Light Cavalry from Hussar then?

Also how this thread turned into discussing a reskin for light cavalry and hussar instead of discussing a bonus for that unit line specific to Poles?

1 Like

Hell no. Leave base game content alone please, especially when it comes to unit identifiers. The Polish Hussar already looks different enough.

3 Likes

LC bonus? I would like more a heavy cav bonus… in My mind the poles should have the Best cavs from eastern europe and not the liths, I Guess why can only wait and see

3 Likes