If AoEIV is not a success, AoEII will be next

AOE4 isnt connected to AOE2.
RTS’ have their community, they don’t try to catch people which don’t like strategy games.
If they win money with AOE2 community, what’s the point of killing their own game?

1 Like

RTS must reach more people if they want to be relevant like MOBAs do.

AoEIV is the key and I hope the AoE community is aware of it.

1 Like

That’s right, not only the AoE series will die, the entire RTS genre will most likely die, as this will be a signal that investing any money in it is simply not profitable.
Yes, unfortunately, many fans of the old parts are sure that they can continue to successfully play the developing AoE 2, but support will slowly stop and the main project will fail. After all, AoE 2 DE and AoE 3 DE were essentially a marketing move before AoE 4, so there will most likely be no content. Unfortunately, not everyone understands how much remasters are connected with the new game.
But this is not the worst thing, I repeat once again, if this failure happens, it will be the last nail on the cover of the RTS genre.

2 Likes

If you change RTS so it reaches more people then it will no longer be RTS. A traditional RTS is just too hard for kids nowadays who mostly play MOBAS and FPS

3 Likes

Have you forgotten what happened to AoE2? It basically died, it was on life support, then Forgotten Empires showed up and brought it back to life. Modders will keep the game alive if (and I highly doubt it would come to this) support ends

4 Likes

Aoe4 is shaping up to be a big success, but let’s asssume it doesn’t for a second, why would Microsoft stop investing in the aoe franchise? Aoe2 de and to a lesser extent aoe3de have had success so why would they quit working on those games when they still have active player bases?

3 Likes

By support, I mean injecting big money into tournaments and events. Note that something is constantly happening in AoE 2. And with the loss of Microsoft’s interest, the frequency of any events will either drop completely or become much less.
It seems to me that the community simply does not have the strength and resources to support AoE 2 at the same pace of life as Microsoft and its money do.

1 Like

It’s hard to said if the RTS genre will die if aoe4 is a failure because frozen giant is a studio in creation designed to make RTS game.

I would like if Frozen Giant make the next aom2 :smiley:

2 Likes

On the other hand, let’s think about what might happen if AoE 4 is successful.
This could be an indicator for other big studios that the RTS genre is still making money and can be invested in.
Perhaps EA wants to revive the C&C series and we will have Red Alert 4 or a restart of the Tiberium saga. AoE 4 is a chance to bring RTS back to the market.

5 Likes

I think both will do just fine and they will keep dumping money into both of them.

5 Likes

Well, maybe you have to change the RTS genre little by little to attract more audiences.

As I said, it would no longer be RTS. I’d rather it stay a niche genre and be true to its origins than morph into something completely different just to become mainstream

3 Likes

Nobody has said that it is not an RTS or that it has to be radically changed because SC is also an RTS too and is played very differently. It is a very conservative and unambitious vision.

1 Like

EA already wanted to do it, they got C&C 4, it was terrible. Classic RTS is the genre of games that is difficult to be innovative, it is too stuck in the established rules of the genre, this does not mean that we cannot add interesting features to the existing core, but fundamental changes cause the effect of C&C 4.

3 Likes

SC still feels like an RTS. Even then, AoE2 has a slightly larger playerbase

2 Likes

I think they should have not used Age of Empires branding at all. They could have called it AOM, Age of Medieval, which would communicate its a spiritual successor of the Age of Empires series, but its a whole new franchise. Adam Isgreen was very clear about that from the beginning. But unfortunately the marketing + branding strategy failed because in the end most AOE fans took it as a remastered or modernized version of AOE II which its not supposed to be at all.

But I do see this AOE IV effort as being detrimental to the RTS genre and Microsoft/World’s Edge should release this IP to Relic, Forgotten Empires or another RTS maker in the case this doesn’t meet the commercial sales number they are expecting.

1 Like

The thread looks like " threat".
U are opening questionable topics on the forum, but if aoe4 will fail everything will end. → so stop writing “criticism”. That’s not how it works.

PS 90% sure it’s only imagination and not the intention.

Sorry? In the worst days of SC2 it still maintains a playerbase that rivals AoEII by equaling or surpassing.

There are many who live in an AoE bubble.

1 Like

Both games can co-exist just like how Starcraft Broodwar and Starcraft II did. The older game will garner to ones who are accustomed to its peculiarities (warts and all) while the newer game will have the better potential of attracting new players as long as it adheres to what makes AoE great.

2 Likes

Wow… if “AoE2 has a slightly larger playerbase” which implies that it’s more popular then why wasn’t it the first RTS e-sport and why were its competition not shown on mainstream TV (compared to SCBW that was both)?

Can AoEII boast something like this:

Like, really? AoEII > SC? really??!!