If the Byzantines get added, which civ should they pair up with?

Of course, that’s why I put the gothic huskarl, that would be the replacement of the Man at Arms…

Of course…it would be:

1. Dark Ages (Sasanid Empire) (498-651) (Fights against Byzantines and Arabs)

2. Feudal Age (Ghaznavid Dynasty) (977-1186) (Fights against Gurjaras and Ghorids)

3. Castle Age (Ilkanid Dynasty) (1256-1335) (Fights with Crusaders against Muslims)

4. Imperial Age (Safavid Dynasty) (1501-1576) (Fights against Ottomans and Mughals)…and from there after a period of chaos of 12 years, it would connect with Abbas I (1588-1629) already in AoE 3…

Based on the available options I have to go with Bulgarians if only because of the Ivaylo compaign.

1 Like

None. I would rather spect two possible choices. First off a stand-alone of the Byzantines DLC which includes the Civ along with a “Fall of Constantinople” Campaign or Scenario. Either that or another not that related civs like the one wey justo got, with Byzantines + Asian Civ or hopefully the Norse.

1 Like

Venice became an indipendent dux after the longobard invasion, which isn’t really the same thing as a vassal.

As for an ally, I would say that Venice always had interests in the Eastern Roman Empire for its entire life since the fall of costantinople, in fact the only allies that the empire had in that crucial moment were venetians and genoese.

On the other side, the venetians were also the first to successfully siege and take costantinople, and when it was still an empire, and not basically a city state.

Personally I believe that since the fall of the wester roman empire, and until the fall of the eastern roman empire, costantinople and the Italian peninsula were deeply linked one to the other, and something that happened inside one, it had repercussions on the other, just look at the whole religion theme.

My only problem is that I don’t want an Italian civ, but just to pick 1 state.

I wish Japan would show up

1 Like

Of course,and the First and Second Bulgarian Empire too…

1 Like

I would go with Italians as successors of ancient Rome

The question is, how to implement Italians in AoE4

Or , I would pair them with Etiopians

2 Likes

Serbians and Bulgarians for sure.

You don’t… you choose 1 state/culture and go with it, then maybe add some small feature that refer to other Italian states, but you mainly focus on just one civ.

If I would have to choose 1 that would pair up with the eastern roman empire I would pick either the papal state or the venetian republic.

1 Like

Funny, because Serbians don’t even deserve to be in AoE2.

In AoE2 it’s possible yes, it belongs in the 50-55th civilization range. In AoE4 no way.
AoE2 civs are just a skin and a unique unit anyway.

I was waiting for you my fellow weev. Banzai!

There are multiple ways

/ 1 Italian civilisation with references to various italian states, which does not realy fit AoE4 civ concept
/ 1 single medieval italian state - for example Venice
/ multiple italian civilisation with share mechanics - Venice, Genoa, Sicily

1 Like

Because game is kinda dead they made a free dlc to keep players. Byzantine would be best seller so they didnt add it and Ottomans sacrificed imo (idk if they have big fanbase in aoe).

Adding Persians in aoe4 doesnt make any sense. Ghaznavid , Seljuks , Aq and Qarakoyunlus , Safavid are Turkic Sultanes while Ilkhanate is Mongol. Having for example Safavids as new civ would be nice but naming it Persia and using other states are absurd.

The Persian identity did exist during this timeframe. Having Ghaznavids and Seljuks all be separated from the Persian civ would be fine.

still very COOL dlc-…

They have a massive fanbase in AoE. If you browse the forums a bit you’ll see countless people asking for turks/ottomans and explaining how to design them. The truth is that there is a large AoE community in Turkey

1 Like

Another solution could be to choose a single Italian state, and then having a building similar to the aoe3 asian consulate, to choose other states to ally with.

But no, I prefer a single state and dwell into its history and culture.

1 Like