If the Byzantines get added, which civ should they pair up with?

yea i know but byzantine would sell more and if they put 2 civ that doesnt have big fanbase it might not be the right move. Im happy that Ottomans came even thou their current state is bad.

Me too, i would prefer single state, and probably pick the Venice - it was kind of medieval maritime empire

1 Like

This is how I feel too. It doesnā€™t look like these pairings will necessarily have a theme each time. I do think Byzantines would be neat to see since they were a significant power in the medieval Mediterranean and theyā€™re the natural antagonists for the Ottomans, but itā€™s no guarantee that theyā€™ll be paired up with a civilization that had anything in common with them.

Hear me out, what if they do Byzantines and Rajput Confederacy of India. The two things fans seem to want are big names like Byzantines, Japanese and Vikings along with asymmetric non-conventional civs like the Malians. Fans would come for the Byzantines and stay for the unique military lineup of the Rajputs. Plus they both had a common theme of being beat by Islamist civs so they are related historically. I just feel like Bulgarians, Italians, etc would have the same lineup as the other Europe civs with MAA, spear, knight, blah, blah. Imagine a unique lineup of Katar wielders, Chakram throwers, Feudal elephants and whatever else the dev/historians can dig up. Maybe even Urumi swords in Dark Age.

1 Like

As long as they add the Byzantines(ERE) Iā€™m happy. I donā€™t care who they pair them with.

1 Like

Yes,all can beā€¦

Yes,that why they need to do a Byzantine campaign in its power peak between 534 and 1116,because after that began the Byzantine decline and fall (Fourth Cruzade in 1204 and rise of the Ottomans in Bapheus -1302 and all of that)

Or two if they do civs very assimetricā€¦

Exactly,the ā€œItaliansā€ in AoE 4 could have Gothic Huskarl replacing the MAA in Dark Age,the Genoese Pavisier replacing the xbowman in Castle Age,the Elmetto replacing the Knight and the Venetian Galleazza replacing the Galleon in Imperial Ageā€¦

I doubt they do more civs after they reach 48ā€¦more of that would be a nightmare of unbalanced messā€¦

All can beā€¦

Yes,but very weirdā€¦

Yes,they would launch assymetric civs for the moderns RTS players (AoE 3,SC2,CoH3,etc etc) and civs more classic and similar for the AoE 2 playersā€¦

They need to add Byzantines yes or yes,if not;AoE 4 not be a ā€œreallyā€ medieval gameā€¦

1 Like

Ottomans are neither Arab nor African. Ottoman Sultans were the Caliphs of the Caliphate and used religion to wage war and gain something (just like any other government/nation/structure in history). I am not sure if that makes them a ā€œMuslim empireā€ though, as people from all around the empire came to the capital Istanbul to work for the government. It consisted of Hungarians, Greeks, Serbians, Bulgarians, Bosnians, Macedonians, Romanians, Moldavians, Egyptians, Moroccans and Arabs. Basically if you were successful, you could and would serve in the government.

Only Rashidun Caliphate can be classified as ā€œMuslim Empireā€ Others are Monarchies with laws based on Islam. Since authority doesnt change according to Islam laws Ottomans are ā€œTurkic Empireā€ before ā€œMuslim Empireā€. (They are muslim empire too but thats not the first place in classification)

And how about DLC with Byzantines only, but with own single player campaign?

just a suggestion

1 Like

To be honest, that DLC doesnā€™t just have to add the Byzantines but one other civ as well. I do agree that a Byzantine campaign can be added.

Having 2 civs + campaigns is what i hope for. Fall of Constantinople campaign would be awesome

Arab and African in the geographical sense, I know it was a Turkic empireā€¦

Yes, I had proposed a Byzantine campaign as well from Belisarius to Alexios I Komnenos (534-1116)ā€¦

Would be funny if they pair up the Byzantines with the Seljuk Empire, finally revealing why the Ottomans lack horse archers and any unique cavalry related upgrades.

Pair them up with the Songhai, Hausa or Berbers so that the Malians have somebody else to fight too :grin:

If they add Italians I really hope they add them as Italians and not individual city states

There is no Kingdom of Italy in the late middle ages. I think adding Republic of Venice or Republic of Genoa should suffice in representing the Italian states, but since we are pairing it with the ERE, Venice should fit the bill.

4 Likes

It would be very rare anywayā€¦ both empires share territoriesā€¦

Songhai occupied the same territorial space as the Malians, I donā€™t think they put them in the game if there are already the Maliansā€¦Hausa would not be bad, but they would have to rely on the rise and zenith of the Sultanate of Kano (1349-1565) to fit in the game (in AoE 3 Hausa civ goes to 1576 to 1810/1903,in AoE 4 must be before that) and Berbers obviously would have to be based on the Iberian Reconquista (711-1492)ā€¦

Yes, we knowā€¦it would be by people rather than by kingdomā€¦

1 Like

Italians - latins. The two had some pretty interesting interactions.

But please call them venice or Genua, or the Name HRE Makes No sence and should be Changed