If the Town Center automatically built villagers, would the game be better?

I don’t believe developing a carpal tunnel should be a game mechanic. At least give us a button to queue villagers by x5 or x10. It’s even more needed when buying/selling resources at the market.

Holding shift queues 5 of the unit.

4 Likes

Seems like you actually play the game. Everyone else here (including me) just posts on the forums instead.
:smile:

2 Likes

As the 10% of grey hair on my head suggest, I’ve had this game since the CD AOK version :wink:

2 Likes

No grey hair, but I’ve still got my manual denoting the days where spears ended in pikes and scouts ended in LC.

1 Like

Yes, but you usually don’t have free 250 food to invest in one shot

If you don’t have 250 food available to queue, it’s hard to envision how arthritis would ever set in when you don’t have a surplus to spend, which is what he was commenting on.

2 Likes

Auto build (not just for villagers) is not only about making bad players better at the game it’s about just making the game more enjoyable for casual players.
Most people don’t play this game competitively so why not add it as an optional feature to the lobby?

Giving people more peace of mind when they causally play with your friends when you don’t constantly have to think about producing villagers or keeping up unit production.
Accidentally producing too many villagers is less of an issue when you play with 500 population which many people do when they do coop vs AI or something like that.

You can’t add it to ranked because then medium skilled players start crying because apparently the only thing that makes them better then low elo players is being able to keep up villager production.

1 Like

I think those who don’t support making the game more accesible are in certain grade selfish, because it would make their learned skill a little less important.
Is an extreme example but, is like asking for make chess more dificult by forcing players to move pieces with their feet.

I honestly, prefer to win a game because I made the right choises and the right timing instead of wining because my opponent forgot train vils…

3 Likes

Once in the Castle Age it’s often the case, and for several TCs.

i don’t know… You usually use food for upgrades, army (only assuming ranked game meta). If you are booming then we are speaking of 150 f every 25 secs… food rarely tends to acc umulate until post Imperial age…

1 Like

Okay, why not also add monk auto convert, then? and let archers pick the weakest units, and make it possible to assign pikes to automatically guard mangonels.

While we are at it, let’s just assign vils to resources at TC, and they will automatically do it the most effective way. Let them automatically build mills near berries, and make farms.

What else would you like for “accessibility”? Make the game play itself?

It’s even simpler than that. We have played the game a certain way for a long time, we are used to it, and we don’t want it to change. Additionally, you can already queue like 14 vils if you want , if you have the food for it.

Lastly, one of the reasons for RTS games to have a good skill ceiling is the careful and timely management of resources, and production of units. You are asking to change one of the core parts of a 20 year old game and in my opinion, it is a terrible idea.

3 Likes

You are push it to the extreme, look, I can do it too:
"Okay, why not also remove the units IA, then? and make units only attack if the player commands it.
While we are at it, let’s just remove the vils IA, so they will not longer put to work inmediatly after finis a lumber or miningcamp. And why we need formations? Let me put the units in the place I want. I want to micro EVERYTHING.

What else would you like for “challenging”? Make my self code the game?"

Let’s be measured. Auto queue vils, or even any unit (with a drawback, like auto-scout), doesn’t crash any core mechanic. Simply moves the focus in a more interesting direction, because more players would have more free APM for more interesting actions, like military ones.
You think that because I support an eco auto feature then I want the game play itself.
Check my answer here:

We, who? I play this game since the release and celebrate most of the new QoL features added in DE.
The game is still evolving, so, evolve with it or go play HD or Voobly. Everybody happy.

2 Likes

The difference is, I am not the one asking for a change, you are. The grounds you are asking it on is convenience and accessibility. My example highlights that those reasons in of themselves aren’t sufficient. That was the point of stretching it so far. You stretched it to prove that… you can stretch it in the opposite direction, I guess?

Me and most of the community who agree with me. You are pretending like this change is going to happen, which, even in the best case scenario, is unlikely. If you so desperately want this change, go play another game which has it, or make it a datamod and play it with people who enjoy it. Everybody happy.

3 Likes

I just support and promote the idea hopping it would be applied in a good way to make the game more enjoyable for most people. You can still play the same game as nowdays because is only and addition, not a replace.

1 Like

If you bind your market sell resource to a hotkey, you can hold down the hotkey to continually sell resources. It might depend on your repeat key settings in Windows/WINE(Linux/Mac) however

I find it very interesting, in the same spirit with the @Thomas2Tommy proposal:

The already existing automatic farm reseeding & automatic fish trap rebuilding are in practice this thing I believe, and nobody is complaining about those.

To me it’s a fair QoL feature for the players, to actually let them be able to put an order no matter how big it is.

It’s not a way to save players from their tactical obligation to make what’s necessary to keep the food supply, and to stop villager production when needed. It is a way to save them from the current awful, repetitive action to put a vill every few seconds, for all the time your food stockpile is close to zero (nearly the whole time, if you want to stay competitive, as well as in danger to develop carpal tunnel).

Maybe can be expandable to every production building of the game.

This:

1 Like

This is just wrong, honestly. Many RTS games (Ashes of the Singularity, Command and Conquer series (iirc) ) use this function for production buildings and it’s basically no different from auto-reseed farms.

This wouldn’t remove skill from the game, just change the focus of what skills matter in the game. RTS games need to do this to evolve and stay relevant, and AOE already does this all the time. For example, remembering to re-task villagers was once really important to avoid idle vills, now shift-tasking makes it so that anyone can be good at that; and ofc auto-reseed is another example.

These changes didn’t remove skill from the game, they just made that kind of skill less important, and things like army comp and tactics more important, which are frankly more fun things to focus on.

But most importantly, allowing more players to play the game better is ALWAYS a good thing for PVP games. It means there are more people to play with at higher skill levels where normally the player pool shrinks. The only people who think it’s bad are people who simply want to limit the number of players who can challenge them, and that’s so lame.

1 Like

A continuous, just-in-time production (JITP) system can be a great addition to the game. In other RTS games that support it, the production building will try to use the resources to create a unit continuously one at a time after you activate it for that building/unit. if there aren’t enough resources for the unit at the time of creation, the building stops producing and the player has to manually reset production. So there is still some micro management involved. You also have to make sure to turn it off to not waste resources.

The opposition to a feature like this is just strange. If you feel like it would make the game less fun for you, or mess up your strategy, then don’t use it! Not wanting other people to have access to it probably means you just want to limit the number of players that can challenge you by forcing them to play how you play.

I’ve been playing AOE2 since 1999, from BattleZone, to Voobly, and now. I can remember many players on Voobly banning Multi-Queue(!), a feature no one complains about today. Games change and evolve, and allowing more players to play the game better is ALWAYS a good thing for PVP games.

Nobody who wants to be good at the game, would like to have food surplus, to put 14 vills order. The objective is to keep the stockpile low. You should know this, while speaking on behalf of others who “are used to it for a long time”. I consider that not a sincere recommendation.

Currently, in order to keep the stockpile low, you have to repeatedly put the same TC order, zillions of times/game.

It is clear, and apparent I would add, that the concept of a future “automatic villager training” (or “automatic knight training”) does not interfere with the timely management of resources… because the timely management of resources is part of the actual management of the workforce; when & how many will go where, how long will stay there.

1 Like