If they take restrictions from avx i buy it

Xeon user here! E3 1231V3
I bought mine many many years ago quite cheap, it was quite popular in gaming communities back then.
Still running strong, aoe4 Beta and stresstest ran smoothly on it.

I wanna add that I have been working for multiple years until I was able to buy some decent hardware.
I’m not complaining either that I can’t afford a Ferrari ever in my life.
I just move on and find something else to do/buy which I can afford and makes me happy.

In all these years when I had only a pc from the stone age, I just didn’t think about playing new games, whereas everyone else enjoyed them because they could afford it.

1 Like

I’m with you on this and I was in the same boat until my early adult years myself. I do sympathize 100%. And yes, your Xeon is still decent given that it’s not that old and supports AVX.

1 Like

I totally understand the frustration of not being able to play the game you love due to not being able to afford it. A country like Brazil for example even a basic computer can be worth months of salary, hopefully things will improve on these countries.
I think the devs did what they could and probably went out of their way to make the game as playable as possible on low end pcs but there is so much they can do unfortunately

Games can run fine without AVX, look at Horizon Zero Dawn, at launch it needed AVX, then it was patched out, and the game runs perfect without AVX. So if a game this complex does not need it, AOE IV does not need it either.

Horizon Zero Dawn is only more complex in graphics not gameplay.
You could have made a game with the same exact gameplay on a PS2.

AVX is a CPU extension not an GPU extension. It affect gameplay not just graphics.
Things like path finding can be done much more efficiently with AVX then without.

This whole discussion is kinda useless anyway. The developers have very good number of how many people have computers with AVX, especially ones that are powerful enough in the first place and how many don’t.

Making more threads about it doesn’t change that. It’s not like they are surprised how many people don’t have AVX.

2 Likes

I’ve been there, OP. I’m also from Brazil. It’s 2003 and I’m playing competitive shooters running, on a good day, at 15 fps. As a kid, I know it can be frustrating – all the time in the world, but the fun isn’t quite 100% what you had hoped for.

Unfortunately, the consensus is this game went above and beyond (in detriment of graphic quality even) to work with a large amount of specs.

You sound young, and I mean absolutely no offense by that. I just mean there will come a day when you’ll have great hardware, which you finally can afford, and less time to enjoy it :sweat_smile:

Good luck/Boa sorte

2 Likes

Horizon Zero Dawn is not calculating pathing for 1600 units.

1 Like

Just installed the game and can’t play because of this strange issue. Using an i7 970, 12 threads, 4 ghz. Playing smoothly Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefront 2, but can’t run these cartoon graphics. Outrageous.

I mean, the 970 doesn’t hit 4GHz at stock (or even turbo) speeds, and it’s over a decade old.

Anyhow, ultimately, it’s not the game’s fault. It’s advertised as requiring a CPU with AVX support on Steam, and you bought it anyway. This sounds harsh, for sure, but I don’t know how else to phrase it.

2 Likes

Yes, the stock speed is 3,2, it’s OC.

Of course I had to read the requirements better. But couldn’t imagine playing those AAA without a problem and then this, what looks technically much simpler, stops my joy. Definitevely not renewing hardware for it.

Cyberpunk fixed the AVX though a mod, I hope it will happen here too.

I mean, the CPU isn’t used for rendering the graphics so how they look doesn’t really mean a whole lot.

Additionally, clock speed is a nearly meaningless stat so calling it out really doesn’t have any relevance to what CPU commands need to be supported by the CPU.