If you could have an Aoe 3 unit in 2, which one would you want?

Was suggesting that AoE DE get the same support but realized that the units in that game are scaled weird.
This is why AoE2 DE is also better.

This a generic “Bombard Cannon” from AoE 2:

This is an Ottoman Empire-only Giant Bombard, INEXPLICABLY and shockingly ignored by AoE:

Are you able to tell how different the two are?

(Hint: It’s NOT +1 attack and a slightly different skin)

5 Likes

Such super-sized bombards had been employed in Ottoman warfare and in Western European siege warfare since the beginning of the 15th century.

from the wikipedia article on the Dardanelles Guns

so not exclusive to the Ottomans.
also please stop trying to turn every thread into a ‘please improve Turks’ thread

5 Likes

No, I mean the specific design above, plus the fact there are hundreds of them (only the Ottoman Empire had this many to make a difference in warfare).

2 Likes

first one is Russian, second is Habsburg

so this specific design might be unique to the Ottomans, but ‘make a big cannon’ wasn’t a unique idea

2 Likes

AoE 2 totally needs this. How come they let this escape 20 years ago??

1 Like

Ok, cant you understand that the civ was designed in 1999 and back then the idea of the UU was a novelty on itself? They just decided that Jannissaries were a better idea.
Its not inexplicable nor shocking, you just arent reacting rationally.

6 Likes

Why not add it NOW? They did it with India.

1 Like

India was a terribly designed civ no one liked and they added a new UU by necessity with the ele archer change. They arent going to rework an OG AoK civ

And theres no reason to give them a secpnd UU

3 Likes

they have gunpowder siege that is created faster, with more hp and +2 range. So how exactly have rhey been ignored on that front?

Youre never going to get 100% historical accuracy in aoe2.

Is india and its civs 100% accurate? Or did they cover broad strokes judt like every other civ in the game?

3 Likes

because Turks is a fairly good all-around civ, which is really good in some situations. why mess with its balance by adding more units?

yes, because Indians had one of, if not the most useless unique unit. they were struggling to balance the civ for ages and even then they only reworked indians because they split the civ

3 Likes

from what i could find only large-caliber guns were first invented in Europe, and then transferred to the Ottomans.

this was because in Europe they started using iron cannon balls, which were more efficient. In Europe afterwards they only made a few for showing off.

So if a unit like this were to be introduced it should have:
-lower movement speed
-lower damage
-lower firing rate
-higher upkeep cost

@MatCauthon3

I just want to have the Ottoman Giant Bombard in the game. I want to have the unit, and I strongly believe this should MOST DEFINITELY be in the game. Can I? Is this a crime?

With 1% pick rate?? Ok, so we all play to lose huh? What kind of joke are you trying to make here?

1 Like

Reminds me that Daniel Pereira added new sounds of gunpowder on PCM lll

some civs get over-picked (for a variety of reasons), that doesn’t mean the remaining civs are not good all-around civs.
Turks are a decent pick on pretty much any map:
-water maps: probably their weakest map type. even here they are missing fast fire ship, but have an otherwise complete tech tree. free scout-line upgrades and a good UU allow them to have above average landings
-open maps: strong scout bonus, bloodlines. only thing holding them back is a early game eco bonus.
-closed maps: absolute top tier

their only major weakness is their over-reliance on gold.
why would anyone want to change this civ? this is the kind of balance every civ should have: be decent on all maps, while excelling on a few.

there is even a mod which replaces the bombard cannon with the great bombard from AoE III if you just care about the visuals

1 Like

@TwerDefender Ok ok ok everybody agrees with you.
Pick rate = 1% is a super strong all-around civ ok (people play to lose). Very persuasive!

Again:
I just want to have the Ottoman Giant Bombard in the game. I want to have the unit, and I STRONGLY believe this should MOST DEFINITELY be in the game. Can I? Is this a crime? Yes or No?

1 Like

that’s not what I said, please don’t put words in my mouth. I am saying that they are an all-around civ. not a super strong one.
counter example: Aztecs are super strong on Arabia, but utterly useless on water maps, I dont like this.

Yes

No

as above: Yes, then No

but I am also allowed to disagree with you. Can I? Is this a crime?

5 Likes

so instead of janissary? remember in AoK days civs only had one UU each (except for Vikings who also got a water UU)

Nah nah, of course both. Two unique units. Vikings had it. Now tons of civs have it. So why not?? Maybe even 3 nowadays, with Spahi? Age of Empires 2 deserves it totally.

1 Like

man, this would lead to a complete break in balance. AoE II has the best balance it has ever had (the new civs still need some changes, though)

not to mention that with about 40 civs it is becoming increasingly difficult for new players to learn the game. adding more unique units only adds to the complexity. this also leaves the question: how would these units differ from their generic counterparts.
eg. how would a turkish great bombard be different from the normal bombard cannon (and especially the turikish BBC with the unique tech)
how would a spahi differ from the knight line. this especially is difficult with boyars, leiciai, teuton knights with extra armour, coustillier, etc already in the game. the way these units will differ is becoming more and more gimmicky
(edit: I forgot the Tarkan, Magyar Huszar, War Elephant, Battle Elephant, Konnik, Keshik and Shrivamsha Riders)

so it’s nice to say ‘i want unit X’, but this needs to be thought through