Illyrians and other Civilization?

How many technologies that are in game they did a research?

@qweytr24 said:
Most of the civilizations suggested here are outside of the AoE1 timeline. Polynesia, Cahokia, Angkor, Franks, Hephthalites, Vandals and Goths all came long after the time period of the game.

Well, my understanding of the first AoE has always been that it covers the period commonly refered to as antiquity, whilst the second game covers medieval times. There is of course a space of ambigiuity between these two eras, which stretch between the decline of the western roman empire and the rise of early feudal kingdoms in Europe (like that of Charlamagne)/ the islamic conquests. I am interested in seeing this space discovered further in games in general.
I don´t feel as though covering late antiquity would feel out of place for a game such as AoE, since it aims to recreate relevant historical narratives within the bounds of rts, and late antiquity is in general a relatively obscure period often poorly portrayed in popular culture - even though it is in fact a very subversive period in history.
Late antiquity is also part of antiquity.
Even though the original game actually features campaign content set in late antiquity, I´m not expecting a remastered game to feature any new factions or units - and I hope I do not come across as entitled. I am in fact very grateful to see my favourite game of all time be remastered. This is in fact the only reason that I am so interested in potentially seeing some DLC in the future! :smile:

Roman Campaign covers late antiquity.

@VainWarlord said:

@qweytr24 said:
Most of the civilizations suggested here are outside of the AoE1 timeline. Polynesia, Cahokia, Angkor, Franks, Hephthalites, Vandals and Goths all came long after the time period of the game.

Well, my understanding of the first AoE has always been that it covers the period commonly refered to as antiquity, whilst the second game covers medieval times. There is of course a space of ambigiuity between these two eras, which stretch between the decline of the western roman empire and the rise of early feudal kingdoms in Europe (like that of Charlamagne)/ the islamic conquests. I am interested in seeing this space discovered further in games in general.
I don´t feel as though covering late antiquity would feel out of place for a game such as AoE, since it aims to recreate relevant historical narratives within the bounds of rts, and late antiquity is in general a relatively obscure period often poorly portrayed in popular culture - even though it is in fact a very subversive period in history.
Even though the original game actually features campaign content set in late antiquity, I´m not expecting a remastered game to feature any new factions or units - and I hope I do not come across as entitled. I am in fact very grateful to see my favourite game of all time be remastered. This is in fact the only reason that I am so interested in potentially seeing some DLC in the future! :smile:

I’m not against having some civilizations from late antiquity. But antiquity is generally considered to have ended at the fall of the Western Roman Empire and Franks, Goths and Vandals were not very significant until after the fall of Rome. During late antiquity the most important German tribes included ones like Cherusci, Chatti and Marcomanni.

I’m also pretty sure there will not be any new civilizations in the game at release, but there is a possibility of new ones being added later by DLC.

@qweytr24 said:
I’m not against having some civilizations from late antiquity. But antiquity is generally considered to have ended at the fall of the Western Roman Empire and Franks, Goths and Vandals were not very significant until after the fall of Rome. During late antiquity the most important German tribes included ones like Cherusci, Chatti and Marcomanni.

I’m also pretty sure there will not be any new civilizations in the game at release, but there is a possibility of new ones being added later by DLC.

I would have to disagree. Whilst peoples such as the goths did not neccesarely posses great empires in the same sense as romans, persians, huns and others before the colapse of the western roman empire, they were hugely influential forces before they came to have kingdoms of their own. Their great migrations sometimes give name to the period itself, as they came to shape the character of the late roman empire and army, and eventually aid in it´s demise. I would love to see a DLC focus on the wars of late antiquity. Campaigns could focus on the ravagings of Attila, the wars of Stilicho and Alaric, the vandal invasion of Italy and Africa, Belisarius´ wars for reconquest of old roman lands.

I agree that it´s highly unlikely for any new civs to be added in the game at release. I assume most discussions on this forum regarding possible new civs are speculation on future dlc.

@qweytr24 said:

@VainWarlord said:

@qweytr24 said:

Call them Germans, why don’t split Greek by cities or clans?
Or Macedonian successors?

@VainWarlord said:

@qweytr24 said:

I would have to disagree. Whilst peoples such as the goths did not neccesarely posses great empires in the same sense as romans, persians, huns and others before the colapse of the western roman empire, they were hugely influential forces before they came to have kingdoms of their own. Their great migrations sometimes give name to the period itself, as they came to shape the character of the late roman empire and army, and eventually aid in it´s demise. I would love to see a DLC focus on the wars of late antiquity. Campaigns could focus on the ravagings of Attila, the wars of Stilicho and Alaric, the vandal invasion of Italy and Africa, Belisarius´ wars for reconquest of old roman lands.

I agree that it´s highly unlikely for any new civs to be added in the game at release. I assume most discussions on this forum regarding possible new civs are speculation on future dlc.

Attila and Alaric are in AoE II campaigns.

@VainWarlord said:

@qweytr24 said:

I recomend Atilla: Total War.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
I recomend Atilla: Total War.

One of my favourite games :slight_smile: