I'm having a blast with DE!

This week-end I could finally play to my heart’s content AoE DE, and I must say that I am really loving it!
While this game stills has quite a few issues (buggy vills, pathfinding etc.) when I start playing somehow I can forget about it. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful and plays even better than the original AoE 1 :slight_smile:
While the balance still needs much more improvement, I like it much more now than it was in the original. When the devs solve the most urgent issues (pathing, crashes, improving the lobby, add ELO rating etc) I would however ask them to consider some quality of life improvement:

• Multi-unit queue in buildings

• Some very basic formation/group command. I am not asking for anything as complex as formations in aoe, just some command to make the units advance in a less chaotic. This is not even a matter of microing units as many people seems to think, because with the current pathfinding melee units end up getting stuck within your ranged units no matter what you do (unless you have a very small army).
    This issue is made even worse by the fact that there are a lot choke-points in the maps, and sometimes you have no choice but fighting there, with an horrible umanageable mess as result.

• You should really consider adding gates, and I count this as QoL improvement. Why? Because we can already do what gates do, albeit in a wasteful and inefficient way. You just need to destroy a section of your walls, let your units out and then rebuild the well section again. It works, but it feels really stupid to have to do that.

• Farm queues: again, while the farm issue has been improved, I don’t see a point in having to do this in a 2018 rts. This is not microing your units, this is adding complexity for the sake of complexity (or should I say APM for the sake of APM?).

• While this is not really that important, I think the technology of shared exploration should be moved down in tool age, having to wait until bronze age to know what your allies know is way too long. The vast majority of team games I am playing

Regarding balance instead, while I did not play enough to give detailed feedback, but there are some points which I think I can already state at this point:

• Towers are way too weak (with the exception of the ballista tower). In tool age they are easily destroyed by slingers (actually I would say by everything really), in bronze age by stone throwers. I think boosting their damage and range by a little bit would really help, although it is not my wish to make them overpowered and having everyone start tower rushing…I am just saying that a wall with some towers behind should be a viable defense, not a complete waste of resources.

• Some units really need a bronze/iron age upgrade: I am talking about slingers, axemen and bowmen for the bronze age, and camels for iron age. I am not saying to make them as strong as chariots of course, I just wish for the gameplay not to be the usual one-dimensional chariot spam in case the game is lasting long and the map is out of gold.

• Trade on land: again, this would be relevant only for very long matches, but since we have trade on water, why also not on land? There’s even a trade workshop bulding in the editor :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, that was a long post, but I think this is all I wanted to say for now. I just wish to conclude by saying that this game is really good, but it still needs some extra work before it can really reach its full potential. There is much more to be done, but good job devs!

There’s been a fair bit of discussion about farms/gates/formations. You state the case better than most, and you’re right that for a 2018 RTS those features would make sense. People coming to AOE1 for the first time would agree, but I don’t think it’s going to make any big waves as a 2018 RTS regardless. Most people are here for the nostalgia, and I think they’ve struck a pretty good balance with that.

It’s understandable that AOE2 players want it to play more like AOE2, but I imagine there’s a fair few things from AOE3 you wouldn’t want to see in an AOE2 DE!

@Sargon said:

• Towers are way too weak (with the exception of the ballista tower). In tool age they are easily destroyed by slingers (actually I would say by everything really), in bronze age by stone throwers. I think boosting their damage and range by a little bit would really help, although it is not my wish to make them overpowered and having everyone start tower rushing…I am just saying that a wall with some towers behind should be a viable defense, not a complete waste of resources.

I disagree that towers should be a viable defence in themselves. They already function well as a support to armies in defence, but they shouldn’t be an alternative to an army altogether. Turtling until iron can be fun in beginner games, but it’s not a playstyle that should be encouraged by balance changes.

@Sargon said:

• Some units really need a bronze/iron age upgrade: I am talking about slingers, axemen and bowmen for the bronze age, and camels for iron age. I am not saying to make them as strong as chariots of course, I just wish for the gameplay not to be the usual one-dimensional chariot spam in case the game is lasting long and the map is out of gold.

Being able to turn tool age units into bronze age versions would remove most of the risk from tool rushing. Committing to a significant tool army should involve the risk of having your units outclassed if your opponent makes it to bronze, rather than give you an advantage that snowballs into the next age.

Most games don’t last until the gold runs out (partly because towers aren’t too powerful), so it’s not a huge issue. Perhaps all civs should have access to at least one of either chariots or CAs though, so they’re not completely helpless if the game does go there.

@Sargon said:

Being able to turn tool age units into bronze age versions would remove most of the risk from tool rushing. Committing to a significant tool army should involve the risk of having your units outclassed if your opponent makes it to bronze, rather than give you an advantage that snowballs into the next age.

Disagree with that, once you the enemy hits bronze age any tool age unit is complete garbage. While I am not saying that the upgrades they should be on par with bronze age gold units, they should at least be able to stop them if you have the numbers. Right now a 2-4 of cavalry units can completely annihilate any tool age army.

I hope at least to see mod support in the long run, so everybody can play as they want :stuck_out_tongue:

the trade on sea requires you to have gold, so what if you run OUT of gold, thats it u cant trade anymore and the game just ends in a stalemate (if its a long game).

I think this game needs both land and sea trade as a secondary economy, or a new building the generates resources over time, anything that allows u to gain resources once everything is consumed on the map

what? you dont need gold for trading on sea. All you Need is a dock from another player and food/wood/Stone to trade with. Always only trade food btw

@Sargon said:

@Sargon said:

Disagree with that, once you the enemy hits bronze age any tool age unit is complete garbage. While I am not saying that the upgrades they should be on par with bronze age gold units, they should at least be able to stop them if you have the numbers. Right now a 2-4 of cavalry units can completely annihilate any tool age army.

I hope at least to see mod support in the long run, so everybody can play as they want :stuck_out_tongue:

massed upgraded (stone upgrade) slingers can take 2-4 cavalry

@Sargon said:

@Sargon said:

Is complete garbage before gold run out.

@AngryCAT9411 said:

@Sargon said:

@Sargon said:

Yeah, a huge number of them (if the pathing of the cavalry works correctly, that is). You can also take down a centurion with enough axemen, but this doesn’t mean it is a good idea to try to do that!

@Augustusman said:

@Sargon said:

@Sargon said:

Is complete garbage before gold run out.

I am talking about the time you hit bronze age, how does this anything to do with gold running out? If that happens, it happens much later and even then, you spamming chariots is the way to go for sure.

@Sargon said:

@AngryCAT9411 said:

@Sargon said:

@Sargon said:

Yeah, a huge number of them (if the pathing of the cavalry works correctly, that is). You can also take down a centurion with enough axemen, but this doesn’t mean it is a good idea to try to do that!

you cant take a centurion with axeman lol
dont underestimate slingers, they are powerful

you can, if you have an incredible amount of them :stuck_out_tongue:
they still do 1 damage

@Sargon said:
you can, if you have an incredible amount of them :stuck_out_tongue:
they still do 1 damage

But still inefficient.