Impossible to counter Gatlings exept with couleuvrins

You had a nice game design until sweden civ, but with this units you are ruining everything.
Please, for god sake, do something about this. It’s ruining the game for the casual players.

2 Likes

Everyone already knows this, and seems to be ok with the fact that only Culverins counter Gatling. I can’t explain it either.

Honestly it also breaks other… things that are already broken by now :grin:

Use Culvs or heavy cavalry, or even other cannons if you have a bunch.

Heck, considering range and armor, even a lucky bunch of skirmishers could take 1 of these down, though not recommended lol (Light ranged cavalry tag).

Not impossible mate :+1:

1 Like

Gatlings get taken down by all other artillery. Mix in some cav you should be good.

3 Likes

It’s because they’re weak to most other artillery. So any civ with artillery can deal with them relatively easily. Anyone playing those civs or USA themselves thinks gats are balanced. But any civ with restricted artillery or none at all simply doesn’t have a counter to them and gets shafted.

7 Likes

I haven’t seen a Gatling camels in months. Maybe it’s almost been a year. This unit has disappeared from use in 1v1 at my level

Gatlings can even melt cavs away. They at least need negative bonus against cavs.

6 Likes

de hecho… la tienen de 0,50 pero aun asi borran a la caballeria como si nada XD lo que necesitan es subirles el precio o bajarles la velocidad de movimiento y aumentarles la población

1 Like

They are not gatling guns
They are gatling gods
I hope they add negative bonus vs cavs to them or at least increase their pop cap a bit

2 Likes

Es que ya tienen un bonus negativo contra cav y es de un 0,50 pero aun asi no funciona xd

1 Like

That is right, I don’t understand why gatlings have to counter cav. Why? No other artillery unit in the game counters cav. Gatlings destroy muskets, skrims, goons, cav so quickly too. Why not make them have a heavy damage penalty versus cav and goons so they damage them super slowly but still counter musks and skirms super quickly? Inca is just utterly screwed versus USA, and don’t tell me chimus will work against 3 gatlings surrounded by muskets (which they always are).

2 Likes

el problema es que son muy baratas y valen poca pop, deberian ser una unidad lenta en entrenamiento y más caras ya que he visto juegos en donde el jugador solo hace gatlings y les sale más barato que un ejercito enemigo creanfo culebrinas, lo peor es que las culebrinas atacan cada 6 segundos asi que cuando las gatlings se acercan quedan jodidas

Gatlings are glass cannons; lots of attack but very low hp. They are 1 shot by culvs and are out ranged by falcs. All euro civs can counter them very easily but building culvs, which is a completely reasonable requirement. For non-euro civs, invest in the cards and abilities that help counter gats and adapt, making specific decks and builds. For India, siege else; for Japan, flaming arrows; for China, the mortars; for Lakota, use the big buttons to massively improve cav bonuses against artillery and add siege damage armor (the war chief 1 shots gatlings after this); for azzies, arrow knights; for Iro, light cannon or kanya; for Inca, chimu runners have the ignore-snare big button ability.

From a design perspective, it makes sense that cav don’t counter them. It’s a machine gun.

The unit is counterable and essential to the US design. It doesn’t need crazy changes or nerfs.

4 Likes

Gatlings are vulnerable to Artillery. Stop trying to swarm them with infantry which they have a bonus towards. Use hussars in flanks. So many players just spam infantry at them and wonder why they get deleted, or they let the american player accumulate so many gats that it becomes unmanageable(just like any artillery or really any unit btw). But hey better to blame it on the opponent than to self reflect on your mistakes, and learn from them.

7 Likes

The problem with Gatling guns is Cofee Mills card, that ability of non stop shooting it’s too much.
No other unit can do that, similar unit type like Organ Gun can’t do that either.

5 Likes

The Lakota ‘battle anger’ costs 900 resources, the gatling card costs nothing. How do you suppose Lakota is going to counter 3 gatling + 15-20 musks in age3? Iro light cannon is in age 4, and kanya don’t have a chance in hell versus 3 gatling +20 musks in early age 3. And chimu get deleted also. They don’t counter gatling + musks. Try it. Then we move on to African civs, which don’t have a counter either, it takes too long to get enough influence and get culvs before the early age musk gatling combo arrives. On top of this, it is much easier and cheaper to just keep clicking on the unlimited gatlings card than it is to build an artillery foundry and produce culverins.

2 Likes

May I remind you all that AOE3 design philosophy is to have each unit be countered by at least 2 other unit types? This absolutely does not apply with Gatling guns on even levels of micro once Coffee Mill Guns are shipped because they can obliterate cavalry as well if massed, or at worst come out even.

It’s even worse in team games when you can more or less just spam Gatlings while a teammate covers you with Dragoons.

An option could be to nerf their ranged resistance to 0.5 or even lower, making them a glass cannon and allowing for ranged cavalry to trade properly with them, accounting for their artillery multipliers.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Gatling Guns chewing through cavalry is pretty realistic so I think it’s okay to have them able to do it better than other artillery. But if that’s the case, they need a different weakness. Reducing their ranged resistance is probably the best way since approaching them with melee units is nearly impossible once coffee mill guns is sent. Shooting them with Dragoons still wouldn’t be ideal, but it would be a lot more doable than suiciding into a ball of Gats surrounded by Regulars.

This is a disgrace. Neomex is trolling. Gattlings are the weakest unit of the game. That’s why i need 30 of them to wipe out everything.

4 Likes