Improvement in the build of the units in the game (Do as red alert)

I think that age of empires could have a menu of building units and fortifications like in red alert.

In red alert, you do not have to select the barracks to build the soldiers. Just choose units from the menu, even if you are away from your central base.

This makes the game more dynamic, less tiring, more strategic and more focused on battles than on the agility of selecting barracks and building soldiers.

As with red alert, the number of barracks would only influence how fast the units are built. The more barracks, the faster the unit is ready, obeying a certain limit, obviously.

No way this is going to happen, we want to play AOE, not C&C.

in RA your units are trained trough one building. (further more buildings only reduce training time.)
In AOE you build units from all of the buildings. if you press longswordman Which barrack does the unit come from?

Do it like in AOE2 instead. Hotkey for each different building to cycle trough them.

In theory, you could let the units be built at the nearest building to the current map position, but this would drastically change the gameplay. Hotkeys for buildings are already sufficient.

Red Alert has way too simple base mechanics. It’s not enough to keep the interest of more casual players who like to tinker with and manage their little base. That’s why people play aoe1/2 random map for decades while they throw c&c games away once the campaign is done -> because of advanced base micromanagment that appeal to players of all skillsets. If you streamline aoe base mechanics you kill the main feature that made is so successful in the first place.

@Hum said:
I think that age of empires could have a menu of building units and fortifications like in red alert.

In red alert, you do not have to select the barracks to build the soldiers. Just choose units from the menu, even if you are away from your central base.

This makes the game more dynamic, less tiring, more strategic and more focused on battles than on the agility of selecting barracks and building soldiers.

As with red alert, the number of barracks would only influence how fast the units are built. The more barracks, the faster the unit is ready, obeying a certain limit, obviously.

This takes away from the amazing game play of AOE1.

In C & C Red Alert, we can choose the primary building. Then, military units are created from the primary barracks. But if this suggestion is not to the taste of the majority, then leave it there. I really like AoE since the first classic, but this way of building units was the only thing I found annoying, because I thought it could be optimized, so we could focus more on the strategy of battles, city building, defenses and harvesting of resources.

At the very least, I would suggest that a plan for building military units be created. So, we could make a plan to a barrack always build a soldier to replace another who died in battle, obviously this option would be optional and you could change or cancel the plan at any time.

I can see where you’re coming from @Hum but it is very different than the mechanics used in AoE and Blizzard RTS games among others.

Sure, it is very tedious to scroll around one’s base looking for production buildings and then clicking a bunch of times on a unit portrait…but to be honest if you hotkey your production buildings and learn the keys for each unit (which will be really easy if AoEED uses the ‘qwer’ portrait order method of hotkeys) you can queue tons of units and rally them to a battle while still microing your units.

@pate623 said:
in RA your units are trained trough one building. (further more buildings only reduce training time.)
In AOE you build units from all of the buildings. if you press longswordman Which barrack does the unit come from?

Do it like in AOE2 instead. Hotkey for each different building to cycle trough them.

This is already in base RoR, no way would Chowar have been possible otherwise…

Okay, I will not insist. But at least do as AOE2 and AOE3:

AOE2 => hotkey building
AOE3 => build up to 5 units at the same time

Stated at e3 2017, “new and improved gameplay”. Who knows maybe there will be some menu of structures. Dunno, just have to wait it out and see.