Improving Advanced Building Cards

Just a quick aside, I’m not talking about Advanced Arsenal or Advanced Trading Post as these see play. I’m purely referring to the economic building ones, such as Mills and Estates. My idea is simple, make these cards act more like Advanced Arsenal and the unique church technologies. I say unique church technologies as you would simply be making the cards that civilisation currently has available and turning it into a tech once the Advanced card is shipped.

For example:

Advanced Mill:
Remove additional hit points and cost reduction. Provides a free mill wagon, and unlocks the below technologies depending on your faction.

• Food Silos (Team): 100 Wood & 100 Coin. Resource cost is multiplied per player on team. For example 2 player teams would be 150 Food & 150 Wood, and a 3 player team would be 200 Food & 200 Wood. Available to the Germans.
  • Food Silos: 150 Wood & 150 Coin. Available to Dutch, Ottomans, and Russians.
  • Sustainable Agriculture: Requires Age II. 150 Wood & 150 Coin. Available to Britain, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Ottomans, Portuguese, Russians, Spanish, and Mexicans.

Advanced Estate: Remove additional hit points and cost reduction. Provides a free estate wagon, can be built any age, and unlocks the below technologies depending on your faction.

• Rum Distillery (Team): 350 Food & 350 Wood. Resource cost is multiplied per player on team. Available to the British.
  • Rum Distillery: 400 Food & 400 Wood. Available to Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Russians, Spanish, Swedes, Mexicans, and United States.
  • Cigar Roller: Requires Age II. 400 Food & 400 Wood. Available to British, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Russians, Spanish, Swedes, Mexicans, and United States.
  • Textile Mill: Requires Age III. 500 Food & 500 Wood. Available to British, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Ottomans, Russians, Spanish, Swedes, Mexicans, and United States.

Advanced Market: Provides a +20% buy/sell factor, and unlocks the below technologies depending on your faction.

• Exotic Hardwoods: 150 Food & 250 Coin. Available to British, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Ottomans, Portuguese, Russians, Spanish, Swedes, Mexicans, and United States.
  • Establish Ironmonger (Team): 75 Food & 75 Wood. Resource cost is multiplied per player on team. Available to Ottomans and Spanish.
  • Establish Ironmonger: 200 Food & 200 Wood. Available to British, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Portuguese, Swedes, Mexicans, and United States.

Advanced Livestock Pen (New Card): Provides a free livestock pen wagon, and unlocks the below technologies depending on your faction.

• Llama Ranching: 100 Wood & 100 Coin. Available to Portuguese and Spanish.
  • Ranching: 100 Wood & 100 Coin. Available to British, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Ottomans, Russians, Swedes, and United States.
  • Stockyards: 100 Wood & 100 Coin. Available to British, French, Germans, Italians, Maltese, Ottomans, Russians, Spanish, and United States.

Why Are Some Cards Absent?

• Certain cards that add additional yields on existing resources I feel are too powerful to be combined. Such as Furrier, Spice Trade, Silversmith, and Sawmills. You could probably argue that Sawmills could also be added to the Advanced Market due to wood being the slowest resource to gather.
  • Eco cards that provide benefits for all sources of that resource type are too powerful to be combined. Such as Refrigeration and Royal Mint.
  • I believed Fulling Mill was too powerful to be combined with Ranching and Stockyards.

Other Notes:

• Resource costs are purely examples. I just based them off of similar technologies.
  • The scope of this would be expanded to Native American, African, and Asian Civilisations. I just didn’t have the time to include everyone.
  • Fish Market and Rendering Plant cards could have a similar treatment by being added to Advanced Docks.
  • Another potential new card could be Advanced Native Embassy combining the Native Lore and Native Warriors cards.
  • Removing the increased hit points and decreased construction cost from Mills and Estates could indirectly buff the Improved Buildings & Land Grab cards.

I’m not sure about your proposals, but I think that “Advanced Mill”, “Advanced Estate” and maybe “Advanced Market” cards could allow to research all their upgrades in any age (in addition to other effects). I don’t think it’s necessary to complicate things further, just make these cards really useful for certain strategies.

That might work for the Estate, but the Mill and Market upgrades cap out in Age III. So unless you’re having a super long Age II you’ll likely get them eventually. Which could happen in a 1v1 but is less likely once you start getting into teams or treaty.

Most players, at least in 1v1, typically avoid woodcutting as much as possible. Preferring crates instead, so the market tier III woodcutting upgrade being available earlier won’t make much of a difference.

A discount to the upgrades would also help. Advanced Artillery should also discount upgrades since that card is completely useless if you don’t send it before age 4. It could also enable Monitors too.

For the Mill 1 solution is to remove the card “Sustainable Agriculture” (Villagers gather food from Mills 15% faster) and add it as a Mill technology for the IV age by default. Then with the “Advanced Mill” card, all Mill technologies can be researched at any age.

Reducing the cost of technologies can also work well for the “Advanced Market” card. The “Hamiltonian Economics” card reduces its cost to 0, so “Advanced Market” can reduce the cost -50%.