Increase Campaign Population Cap

It is getting really annoying having only a max pop cap of 50 playing through the campaigns. I usually have just 30 of that taken up by villagers, and its a very long and painstaking task to finish a campaign. I don’t want to be playing one level for 3 hours straight. I’m asking that maybe we can get an option to increase population cap, or maybe even make difficulties have their own, so: Easy - 125 pop, Standard - 100 pop, Moderate - 75 pop etc. I would be happy if 75 was the minimum.
Max campaign pop?

0 voters

5 Likes

Honestly why are population caps on campaigns even a thing

3 Likes

I guess best think they can do is just to create new campaigs that contain these kind of requests. Some campaigns’s scenarios were doing for just 50.
I really like the idea to rework the hittite and Yamato campaing because they were lame.

3 Likes

Yeah new campaigns would be good and easy

1 Like

We are talking about AoE 1?

1 Like

I think they didn’t change the pop cap in campaigns from Age1 for balancing reasons, maybe it would change ‘the way to play it’ in a bad way.

2 Likes

I say at least change the pop limit to a value of 100. Twice the number we have currently. It would already help a lot IMO.

Too bad you have to keep sending 20 more against the opponent’s 80 until you whittle them down–or wait until you have so much food reserve you can sacrifice most of your villagers and send maybe 40 at a time–or you can be patient and wait for them to come to you. All kinds of options! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

75 or 100, but 75 keeps more balanced.

2 Likes

I think water scenarios may have their population limit altered to 75, as both land and water forces are needed.

2 Likes

True. Population cap forces you to think about balancing your forces between civilian, infantry, cavalry and so on. A scenario which is hard with (and due to!) a population cap of 50 could become a piece of cake with a cap of 200… and lose its beauty.

3 Likes

Funny how I normally found matches easier with low population. Maybe it’s because the AI does not kill villagers in order to create military units instead?

Unique population limits by scenario and civilization, like in Age of Empires 2: DE would be really great. It is one of the things I’d love being implemented one day, like:

• Egyptians are limited to 33 population.
  • Sumerians in this scenario are limited to 100.

Cool to imagine…

4 Likes

I feel like people are playing this game like AoE2 where the “goal” is pumping out one hundred villagers to support non-stop spam of military units. You don’t need 30 villagers when the cap is 50. If you want a huge army, go for units from the barracks which take only 1/2 a population slot with the technology from the administration building. They are kind of weak compared to cavalry and the hoplite line, though. Most of the campaign missions are easy enough anyway, especially with the changes to the maps, with a few exceptions (Holy Man, phew). A higher population cap is also more forgiving towards tactical mistakes, as you can compensate for that with a bigger death ball.

I.e. keep it 50.

Discussion on Reddit:

2 Likes