Indian DLC for AoE2 and if it means anything for us

Ok this is interesting. But surely not a difficult problem to solve if the new Sowar is a reskinned horse.

Nor is it that so many changes are necessary to the civ of the Indians, considering that they are 1/3 Mughal empire, 1/3 Maratha Confederation and 1/3 East India Company, they could put a dlc of Southeast Asia with Burmese and Siam type The Rise of the Rajas and the Indians put new cards and put new units (some reskin that was valid) and already …

Of course, I couldn’t have said it better…

Of course, I couldn’t have said it better…the work in aoe 3 requires much more effort than in aoe 2, since a minimum change that you make misadjusts a whole civ, making it very op or useless…

Well you’re 15 years late to realise it. I know it’s a not a great representation, but if the Indian explorers aren’t monks in any way, then that means they would have to lose their healing ability which makes a big difference (French explorer needs a card to do that). I say this because the native american civs are still able to gather coin through some way, the community plaza is an overhauled firepit and the warchiefs are still able to convert human treasure guardians. All these changes don’t remove the original design completely.

Once again, too late for that but name changes could work. I personally feel Gurkhas add some authenticity to the civ but that’s just my opinion.

Why does it matter if you’re able to build the wonder in American and African lands and not exactly where they’re supposed to be built? Anyway, if it’s just a name change or reskin for better representation, I guess that’s fine.

Idk how to explain this… but where were all you guys 15 to 17 years ago?

Or we can take a step back, and realize that fictional depiction of an empire in a game with some made up and fantasy elements, isn’t detrimental to the playing experience in anyway.
Just think of it as an alternate timeline civs, where urumi swordsmen fought together with gurkhas. Or lakota fights Japan in Korea, or USA can have an astronaut roaming in 1850s.

4 Likes

This! This needs to be preached to the entire forum.

We are better off playing age of mythology then.

3 Likes

Lol, even in AOM they break mythology rules. How are greek gods fighting egyptian gods? Or how is chinese pantheon is made to fit into the same hierarchy system as greek, norse etc.

We are better off playing a game which has good gameplay mechanics. I like the current gameplay mechanics if Indian civ, which is tank musk, goon enough skirm and spain - lite melee units and no cannon. It is a unique civ design and I feel great when I get a win with it. I would like more historical inaccuracy if I will enjoy it more.

Mishmash of units and cultures is feature, not a bug. That’s what I feel. I mean which other game allows you to blow native archers into atmosphere with giant otto bombards.

2 Likes

Yep, aoe 3 was never meant to be historically accurate, it’s a history based game. And also, other games in the franchise don’t do any better at this.

You can try and make a fully fledged historical accuracy mod and see if it’s fun to play. I swear you’ll be disappointed.

Ah well gonna send my natives to pray so i can use thunder strikes on the british minotaurs.

1 Like

We can have suspension of disbelief/belief but there are limits. I want to play an India that feels Indian, not some British knockoff India with sepoys and green jackets and red coats. I want Indian India! I want units that I can barely pronounce. And making things outrageously inaccurate doesn’t add value to my gameplay. People make the same argument for organ guns and Portugal. I don’t want some fake ■■■ unit. I want to use actual Portuguese stuff!

And for God’s sake just give the Sowars a horse it’s not hard.

2 Likes

15 years ago I was a kid who didn’t know better.

15 years hence, there is a definitive edition, a forum that the devs read and other civs getting tweaks etc. So it’s the right time to say these things.

6 Likes

Mate for people who are actually Indian, chinese, japanese, lakota, haudenosaunee etc, its actually very cringe to see your own people shown in some stereotypical way.

If some very minor changes can make it less cringe, why not?

6 Likes

This is not being directed at anyone in particular in this thread but it has to be said.

If some ahistorical civ design concepts bother you so much that it makes the game unenjoyable to play then you were never a fan of the game, to begin with. Again, I’m not accusing anyone of this but it does need to be said.

AoE was never meant to be a historical simulator. If it helps introduce people to history awesome, but it is a game first and foremost.

As I said before, the addition of camels ad elephants is the result of people loving those units in AoE thus they made India an umbrella civ to order to add them at the cost of historical accuracy. BHG developed TAD, not ES and consequently soon after TAD was released the game was abandoned.

All I see is people throwing out rework suggestions like it’s nothing. I never would have imagined a decade ago this game would be supported the way it has. The black sheep of the AoE franchise. A black sheep I have had to defend for 17 years.

In short, let’s wait and see what tweaks each cv will receive before throwing out larger suggestions. There’s a big difference between tweaks and huge reworks. The fact we’re even getting these civ updates is amazing. Everything requires patience.

I realize I’m being harsh here but that’s not the intent.

8 Likes

Please dont gatekeep.
Liking something does not mean you cant be critical of it.

1 Like

This thread is mostly about tweaks. Not complete reworks.

If you see my suggestions, no change was made to the unit roster. Just reskins/renames.

… and remove pet tigers!

4 Likes

Oh please.

I’ve been discussing this game on the forums since 2005 and have interacted with ES devs directly. And I can assure you not all of it was positive.

1 Like

Then no reason for the previous post.

I did read them and none of them are unreasonable.

Perhaps that rant was misplaced in this thread. it was more of fatigue of the same topics made by the same people suggesting the same things over and over again as if the devs can magically snap their fingers and correct things of the past. There’s a problem of a lack of patience and unrealistic expectations. Many of us remember what state this game was in for years after it was abandoned.

Let’s not turn into entitled AoEII fans.

1 Like