Introduce Yourself

@GMEvangelos https://forums.ageofempires.com/c/off-topic-forum/

proceeds to literally excommunicate me in the middle of the forums
bruh

No young people in here? everyone seens to have a job/be in university, some even married! I’m only 19, but surely a lot of people here must be younger than that.

3 Likes

Unfortunately no… at least for me I’m well forward into my 26 years :rofl:

But I think that there are younger people here too.

1 Like

When you think of it, Aoe2 is over 20 years old, so it is no surprise that a solid part of the players are old time fans.

5 Likes

Excommunicatus Traitoris!!!

I am 31 years old myself.
This is an ancient game by now, so it makes sense that the most avid playerbase is also older.

2 Likes

Why the last 2 post where flagged?

I don’t know why but apparently talking about one’s favorite civs is flagged as off-topic.

2 Likes

Probably someone does not like it, or this is some misguided attempt at vengeance.

1 Like

I mean, it is a bit off topic, since we should talk about ourselves, but I think that if we limit ourselves to state the civs that we like without arguing about it, it should be fine.

However let’s be who created the topic to decide.

3 Likes

44 years old Staff Backend Engineer from the Silicon Valley, with a masters and MBA degrees.
Started late 90s with WarCraft RTS games, then moved to AOE1, then AOK in late 2000 after I moved to North America for graduate school. Got hooked on it while doing my masters.
2002, got married, and AOK was always the only reason behind arguing with my wife. After 6 months, she came in tears with the game’s CD, and told me to choose between them. I reluctantly chose to keep the marriage, and broke the CD :frowning:
Now every few years, a new release of the game comes out. I buy it, play it for a year or so, then fade away again. But it is less dramatic now that I have 2 boys playing video games 14 hours a day :slight_smile:

Other hobbies include 10K running, being a state-level soccer referee, playing fantasy premier league, playing card games like Poker and Estimation, camping and biking.

Favorite civs are currently Malay/Malians/Japanese/Berbers, but I plan a move towards Persians in the near future. I love random civs but they are never ever played competitively. I am around 1600 Team Game RM ELO.

5 Likes

Well, hey there.
This is Arshia Aghaei.
I’m 20 years old
I’m a Computer Engineering Student and I love programming. I was programming since I was 11.
In AOE2, I started to know the game at 2009, played for some 100 hours, then got bored (never touched MP 1111) and when I came back it had issues (weird colors) So I bought HD
DE is the only game I played MP with.

Favorite civs are: Persians, Khmer, Berbers, Franks.

8 Likes

Hi,

I am AGSP or GAP (steam) and I live in the Czech republic in the middle of Europe. I am working as a data analyst although by education I am an economist.

My first seen PC game was Doom, Doom 2 and Blood. My uncle played them and I sat next to him and watched his progress. Then I was promoted to press CTRL which was “shooting” :smiley: Later he started to play all the C&C games out of which I remember Red alert and Tiberian sun. Then (!) comes AoE 1. That was my first game which I tried to play alone. I remember how I spammed clubmen and suddenly AI brought its red chariots… I was wondering how the ■■■■ I should have countered them… I asked my uncle where the icon for age up is… well it was just below the icon to create villager :smiley:

After a few years I got my own PC and my first full game on it was AoE2 and there my passion for this game started. Even I did some scenarios and one I posted on Age of Heaven (I tried to convert it into AoE2DE but many errors appeared :roll_eyes:). Later I bought AoM, AoE3, all datadiscs (at that time there were no DLCs, just datadiscs).

In general 90s were completely different years than we see today: Internet was not common, it was a subject for IT fans, government and companies. Almost every game publisher released a demo before the releasing full verion of the game. I remember I tried to look for as many demos of AoE2 as possible in a hope to find a different accessible part of the game. Sadly, all demos were the same :smiley: (William Wallace campaign and one same standard game vs 2 AI (all English)).

Beside RTS I have played CoD (1,2,4,5, WW2), all Assassins, all CoH, Warthunder, TW, CK2, EU4, Sniper Elite 4…

Except for games I like history that is my primary hobby. I prefer medieval and colonial ages until let’s say 1900. So I read a lot. I am interested in stocks. I learnt to play guitar but I dropped because my teacher moved to Asia and I did not found any friend to continue :slight_smile: I like biking and skiing.

I love music I like classic and psychedelic rock (pink floyd, doors, hendrix, zeppelin…), jazz and classical music.

Favourite civs: Teutons, English, Vikings.

4 Likes

I’m only a year older than you

2 Likes

this game is for big boys… young people play no brainer game like gta … Im 20 tho

3 Likes

Hey y’all!
I got into AoE from a game design PDF review, showing the different types of game cameras of all things.
I took one look at the picture, and thought, boy, this game looks awesome, so I picked a copy up from Amazon and played it a lot.
I was terrible, but I found scenarios on Heaven Games, and was taken by the level of effort put into some of these scenarios by the diehards like Ingo van Thiel or Lord Basse putting tens to hundreds of hours making really fun games that took hours for me to beat.
I’m 25, so I found the game about ten years ago when it was in the Voobly age (never hopped on, didn’t want to install the mod hah). I played against the AI and sucked. Really bad. Part of it was the whole why build multiple town centers thing? I’ve got one, why would I need another? :rofl:
Recently I saw they had invites to a couple betas, so I signed up, was invited, and got on the forums. I’m mostly a beta tester, I haven’t gotten the HD/remaster versions yet, but it’s fun to be a part of the community!
Overall I think the community here is good, there are a few “the devs suck I’m playing threads” but overall I like it here. :smiley:

2 Likes

My name is geney boy. I want to participate in this forum more but, I’m learning my way through, and I’m awful busy this summer. Hopefully have more time in the next couple months. Love the game even with it’s faults!

3 Likes

I just got a puppy and we named her Bailey. My wife was afraid I’d give her some “age of empires name”.

Don’t tell her that a bailey is a medeival palisade… :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Hello, my name is Vinícius, I’m 23 yo, I’m from Santa Catarina, Brazil, and I would like to make friends and play together :slight_smile:

I’m elctrical engineering student, working as intern in Industrial Automation area. I like to listen songs, podcast, studying languages as english, german and french… Also programming, electronics.
In my free time I like to sleep hahah to eat, and watch movies or series.
I study and work hard so, I don’t spend much time in games, but is something that I like to do, just to relax.

I played AoE ll during my 11-12 yo, and since has been one of the games that I’m aways playing… Today, I guess that I’m more about AoE lll since this last game broght some interesting improvements.
And that’s it I guess haha, I hope to make friends and who knows have some group to talk and play together :smiley:

3 Likes

GTA is fun and all, but you ever played the OG Mafia? That was a banger

1 Like

Mafia is great! In September there will be a remake. Although not all changes are to better :slight_smile: