Is it technically even possible to make a Spiritual successor by Age of Empires 4?

@IamDalv said:
Don’t worry, Microsoft learned their lessons after AOE Online. It’s highly unlikely a company bases their next product on one of their failures. They want to succeed, not to flop again.

Regarding the Spellforce 3 graphics, they look nice but they have that 3D RTS problem where things aren’t clear enough to tell what’s going on. I personally don’t want it to look like that.

@“Andy P” said:
Yes. AoEO made a number of mistakes. But if we are going to provide critical commentary – and we are – it should be as informed as possible. AoEO was created by much of the same people who created the other games. The game’s bones are strong. The early choices about paywalls and so forth were terrible. It wasn’t as accessible as it’s forebears. It is confusing. It bogs new players down in weird ways such as leveling and withholding civs. But the game itself feels very much like a furthering of the AoE model. It expands and improves on the franchise in a number of ways.

But Age of Empires Online was so obviously bad, its like say an adult person who does touch fire, will learn from his mistakes. All of the people/companies who are involved on Age of Empires 4 right now,

do have a pre history for making several times bad games and most of them do lack even basic knowledge of Age of Empires Series. And we know how it goes each time, once they presented something put randomly together, it’s too late to fix it.

So before we end up by another failure, like Age of Empires Online, it cant be wrong as constructive criticism simply to remind them to take a look at the source material.

I know out of context it sounds harsh, but Microsoft can give OK to bad games and games from new developer team did lack even basic options for Strategy games like Game speed controls or send resources to allies.

So we might end up with a game, where their outsourced team does simply put some Knights and Castles into outdated Company of Heroes engine and Microsoft won’t even notice it does miss basic features.

But Age of Empires Online wasn’t obviously bad in every respect. It was obviously good (or better than the other Age games) in a number of respects, frankly. Did you play Age of Empires Online? I have never met someone who has played it who has criticized its gameplay.

At any rate, as far as I know, there is not a single human being at Microsoft or Relic who is working on AoE4 and has previously worked on AoEO.

@“Andy P” said:
But Age of Empires Online wasn’t obviously bad in every respect. It was obviously good (or better than the other Age games) in a number of respects, frankly. Did you play Age of Empires Online? I have never met someone who has played it who has criticized its gameplay.

At any rate, as far as I know, there is not a single human being at Microsoft or Relic who is working on AoE4 and has previously worked on AoEO.

But why would anybody play a game that is so ugly like Age of Empires online even for free, if you have a beautiful game like Age of Empires 3 and even Age of Empires 2 looks better? It doesnt matter who was behind that product, point is the “Art/Graphics” choice was simply bad and main reason why that product wasn’t successful. So Microsoft is out as any kind of Quality testing.

The new Studio, which is working on Age of Empires 4, their last good designed new game was Company of Heroes and thats more than 10 years ago. So for 10 years they did make some kind of reskin of that game and the last version Company of Heroes 2 ended with so many micro transactions and pay2win faction, it just not enjoyable if you did pay only for the base game, to see that so many is behind a pay wall.

Their games are set on completely different setting and on different mechanics.
They did always make some kind Space ships or ground Squads games, but it does not fit into Age of Empires.

@“Andy P” said:

So we have a Studio that has no knowledge how to make large amount of single controlled units.
So we have a Publisher that is blind or something. Age of Empires Online is unforgivable mess up.

So are there any people left who worked on Age of Empires 2 or 3 ?
And worst of all, we have maybe nobody who made Age of Empires ?

I mean why shouldn’t it happen again ?
They Present Microsoft something like Age of Empires Online 2,
Microsoft does say “Wayne this is fine as usual”,
some people say “hey dudes Age of Empires 1 is better”
and forum is filled with a lot of different posts.

So the game does arrive, maybe here and there some changes,
but the fan base does say, it is not what they wanted and does lack this or that basic features Age of empires game should have, but its too late to fix, because they used an engine that can’t do it.

I would like to see a good Age of Empires 4,
but I have huge doubts if this completely new people knows how to do it and what to do.

Allegedly they do receive insight/feedback from AOE2 community members and expert players, so they aren’t out there in pitch black. Former AOE 1 and 2 developers are also in the Forgotten Empires team which will be bringing AOE1:DE, I’m sure they offer their insight too. And I personally think Relic is good enough to make the switch to the classic AOE gameplay style from their style with the needed help/guidance.
Just think about it, Relic was the only well established studio for such a project, it was the only choice, you couldn’t just pick an indie studio for such a project.

@Huge5000RTSFan :
hi, do not think that Relic does not have all the knowledge you have described. Who does not know the AoE brand in the RTS sector? of course, they did not do the previous chapters, but they know very well what made AoE 1,2,3 games much loved by people all over the world … certainly they were also their AoE franchise players. However I understand your doubts and in part, none of us will ever know until something more will come out on AoE4!

@IamDalv said
Relic is definitely one of the best choices that microsoft could have done, but I would have chosen the Creative Assembly. The CA is expert in historical games and in the characteristics of the units. His games in total war, are rts in turns, but in the multyplayer rooms there are several games played exclusively in real time, in which each moves his own units at the same time as the opponent. Do not look at Halo wars 2, that game was born for Xbox console and then adapted for PC, but if you notice, HW2 is certainly not a total war style game … it’s a real time RTS.