Is it worth my money?

I loved AoE and i still play AoE2 sometimes I have fond memores of the orignal but i am wondering if I am just looking throught rose tinted glasses. now I usally play Total War and Civ do you think that i would enjoy the game or am I better off sticking with RoN AoE and Civ.

Should I buy AoE DE?

If you played the original, and enjoyed it , then I would get this game. It is fun to play and the graphics are amazingly modern.

If you loved the original AoE then yes of course you should get it. A few patches (to fix pathfinding and numerous other minor issues that all combine to make it somewhat frustrating, just like the original) and this could be a masterpiece.

I’d recommend you to wait and see what else they update this game because right now it’s not worth paying for this game, and this is coming from someone that loved the original game at that time.

Positive feedback:

• Great soundtrack! This remastered orchestra is really something else! Well done!
  • The graphics are beautiful!

Negative feedback:

• I expected and wanted more out of a remastered edition, of today’s standard and not from 1997.
  • Crucial features such as: Gates, Group formats, better path finding, etc. is missing from the game.
  • The game is close to not playable on Multiplayer due to the lag issues.
  • Granary option: Pay X resources of Wood, so farms can automatically get renewed.
  • Civilizations doesn’t feel very balanced. Some has great advantage over others.
  • Windows Store only, while this is a minor issue it’s still a big demand for players to play it on Steam.

This is just a few of my thoughts currently of the remastered edition of this game, while I do understand that they wanted to capture the feeling of the original game, which they have done but I was also expecting features, improvements of the original game that wasn’t able to obtain back in 97 which is now! This is just a missed opportunity given to us to make AoE as great as it once was. Let’s hope they keep update this in to the game.

Take care!

See you later!

@Fyrapan said:
I’d recommend you to wait and see what else they update this game because right now it’s not worth paying for this game, and this is coming from someone that loved the original game at that time.

Positive feedback:

• Great soundtrack! This remastered orchestra is really something else! Well done!

Negative feedback:

• I expected and wanted more out of a remastered edition, of today’s standard and not from 1997.
  • Crucial features such as: Gates, Group formats, better path finding, etc. is missing from the game.
  • Granary option: Pay X resources of Wood, so farms can automatically get renewed.
  • Civilizations doesn’t feel very balanced. Some has great advantage over others.
  • Windows Store only, while this is a minor issue it’s still a big demand for players to play it on Steam.

This is just a few of my thoughts currently of the remastered edition of this game, while I do understand that they wanted to capture the feeling of the original game, which they have done but I was also expecting features, improvements of the original game that wasn’t able to obtain back in 97 which is now! This is just a missed opportunity given to us to make AoE as great as it once was. Let’s hope they keep update this in to the game.

Take care!

See you later!

This isn’t AoE 2. No reseeding by granary, only right click.
Steam release itself don’t going to fix the issues, check previous releases.

@Augustusman said:

@Fyrapan said:

Positive feedback:

Negative feedback:

Take care!

See you later!

First of all I’m very aware of that this isn’t AoE 2 but it doesn’t change the fact that this is just a copy paste of the original game, so what’s the point on doing a remastered rework of this game when not doing anything productive?

I loved the first original game but let’s face it, the game hasn’t aged well and in today’s standards it has a lot of issues, and all of them are with this so called remastered edition.

And yes I only brought up Steam because I know a lot of people want to play it from there. And yes you are correct it wont fix the issues, but it’s a **minor ** issue as I wrote in my earlier post.

$20 isnt a big deal, I would say it is.

If you enjoyed the original AoE then YES, IT’S TOTALLY WORTH IT

If you like aoe games then aoe definitive edition is a good choice. People who complain about no formation/ no gates don’t really understand how the game is meant to be played so it really isn’t an issue.

@Fyrapan said:

@Augustusman said:

@Fyrapan said:

Positive feedback:

Negative feedback:

Take care!

See you later!

First of all I’m very aware of that this isn’t AoE 2 but it doesn’t change the fact that this is just a copy paste of the original game, so what’s the point on doing a remastered rework of this game when not doing anything productive?

I loved the first original game but let’s face it, the game hasn’t aged well and in today’s standards it has a lot of issues, and all of them are with this so called remastered edition.

And yes I only brought up Steam because I know a lot of people want to play it from there. And yes you are correct it wont fix the issues, but it’s a **minor ** issue as I wrote in my earlier post.

Why not, Linux and Mac?

If you play mostly multiplayer, then it’s worth it, but if you prefer singleplayer then I’d wait for a few patches to arrive before buying it, since right now the OG runs better.

@Fyrapan said:

@Augustusman said:

@Fyrapan said:

Positive feedback:

Negative feedback:

Take care!

See you later!

Because that’s what a REMASTER is lol. A remaster is NO MORE THAN a copy and paste of original games with updated graphics and sounds. If new features get added, it turns from a remaster to a full on remake. The goal was to try to keep it as true to the original as possible but with better graphics. Hence the use of the term remaster over remake. They added what QOL improvements they could but wanted to keep it true to the original. Path finding is definitely something that should be looked at, but gates and formations are definitely NOT a necessity, especially since, while they did exist in the period the game takes place, only really major empires used them. They weren’t common at all. Most powers of the time simply built walls and staged soldiers at each end to keep invaders out. Greeks and Egyptians weren’t exactly huge gate builders, but they did build a lot of walls.

@ExportedClown72 said:

@Fyrapan said:

@Augustusman said:

@Fyrapan said:

Positive feedback:

Negative feedback:

Take care!

See you later!

Because that’s what a REMASTER is lol. A remaster is NO MORE THAN a copy and paste of original games with updated graphics and sounds. If new features get added, it turns from a remaster to a full on remake. The goal was to try to keep it as true to the original as possible but with better graphics. Hence the use of the term remaster over remake. They added what QOL improvements they could but wanted to keep it true to the original. Path finding is definitely something that should be looked at, but gates and formations are definitely NOT a necessity, especially since, while they did exist in the period the game takes place, only really major empires used them. They weren’t common at all. Most powers of the time simply built walls and staged soldiers at each end to keep invaders out. Greeks and Egyptians weren’t exactly huge gate builders, but they did build a lot of walls.

That’s why isn’t a Remake.

You should not buy it (yet anyways), becouse whole game is broken.

It’s a fantastic classic, brought lovingly to life. Get involved in the multiplayer, the best money per hour you will spend.

@Doogerie said:
I loved AoE and i still play AoE2 sometimes I have fond memores of the orignal but i am wondering if I am just looking throught rose tinted glasses. now I usally play Total War and Civ do you think that i would enjoy the game or am I better off sticking with RoN AoE and Civ.

Should I buy AoE DE?

Hell yes, buy it! I played Age of Empires for 20 years and now playing Definitive Edition is like “¿oh my godness, is this real?”. The graphics… the remastered soundtrack… of course it has some negative things, but 20 bucks is nothing in order to enjoy this game.

Btw, love Civilization too!

@Nipasd said:

Same happens with AoE 2 HD.

$20 is really cheap considering the amount of work that has been done here. I’d say definitely worth a buy.

No, it’s not worth the money. It’s buggy, the unit pathing is atrocious and XBOX live is the biggest pos I’ve ever seen.

@Nipasd said:

“whole game is broken” really? some people will allways just cry something stupid