Is not age of empires 3 the best game of the saga?

I enjoy playing aoe 3 much more then aoe 2
It is way easier to find balanced game in the casual lobby’s then 2, aoe 2 it is impossible to find a casual game where everyone is not really good players, even noob lobby’s 85% of people I have played with are definitely not noobs
I just find aoe 3 to be more enjoyable and players are much more laid back

8 Likes

AOE2 made it’s actual playerbase out of the HD version. so it’s irrelevant. + once again the AOE2 DE version went out before the AOE3 DE.

There was literally two remaster of AOE2 before AO3 get his first one. So of course it has the bigger playerbase.

I mean, you both act like there is a superior and an inferior game. I just say both games are great and people choose the one they rather, and none is better than the other.

Come on guys, the difference is not 100 000 players for AOE2 and 50 for AOE3, and you both choose to ignore all the things that helped to increase the AOE2 playerbase and all the things that didn’t help AOE3’s playerbase.

The simplest things is that when AOE3 went out, there’s a lot of fans that just couldn’t played it, because they had a potato computer that could just run AOE2. And they never retried it. That was literally one of the main problem at the launch…

8 Likes

AoE2 sold millions before HD. It was a masterpiece when it was released. People had high hopes for AoE3(i even got it 1 day after release). You’re talking as if people didn’t play AoE before the HD/Definitive Editions. They were both a commercial success.

Something, does it run crysis, something. Yea but eventually games will be played if they are good enough. I’d assume that the majority that play AoE2 had atleast tried AoE3 at some point.

EDIT: doesn’t this make it hard to compare anything in this world? I’d imagine that the worst game even has 1 guy that enjoyed it - still doesn’t make the game good. All those video game scores/critics are basically just a statistic over the opinions of multiple people. Thats how we measure “good” games. People generally tend to go for the better product if both are easily available and the price isn’t that much differnt.

I just reply to the thread, OP stated that AoE3 is superior in every aspect. (which is basically the whole meaning for this thread)

I don’t hate AoE3, in fact i still play it sometimes, but AoE2 is just the better game(objectively speaking). You can’t deny that the majority prefer AoE2 (for good reasons). In the end it doesn’t really matter what the majority of the playerbase thinks, if you enjoy AoE3 DE more then go for it. But if you have to give an unbiased objective point to this thread - i wouldn’t dare to say that AoE3 is better in every aspects, nor would i say that AoE3 is the best game in the franchise.

2 Likes

I have been trying to get this through, yet he just says I hate AoE3.

1 Like

The dude in top of you saying AOE3 is superior is as objectiv as you from his point of view.

Nobody is objectiv here to be honest. Because there’s no reason to say one game is superior, all you do is comparing the sales and the playerbase.

AOE2 sold millions at the top era of RTS games, AOE3 sold millions too, but the fame was for MMO and FPS at the times it went out. You only compare what go with your argumentation, that’s not what being objectiv is.

What would be an objective point for you? We are comparing basically an art product - we can only go with statistics over the whole community, taking one’s opinion for a ground truth doesn’t work here. When the majority of the AoE community( >50%) says AoE2 is better - then its better. This is the most objective viewpoint that you can get on this topic. In this consens - popularity and “goodnes” of a game are the same.

And if we should take one opinion to heart, then the one from the creator of the franchise, who called the game “a huge mistake”. He wanted to name it differntly because it was not an age game, however because the franchise had such a huge following microsoft said nope. AoE3 is a great game, but not a good age of empires game - thats my answer to this thread.

4 Likes

So what ? Sandy Petersen said Age of Empire 3 is the best AOE ever made, and his opinion matter more than all the others. This is an argument of authority, it’s not a good one.

Would you ask the majority for what good music is ? Food ? Painting ? Movies ?

Pop music is selling millions more that the best pianos compositions.

It’s biased, it’s not maths, there is not a yes or a no. You just can’t admit that there’s tousands players that thinks AOE3 is better than AOE2. And there’s more that thinks the other way around.

There’s no answer cause it’s not a fact, it’s just feelings.

3 Likes

The question of AOE2’s popularity is not a question of quality but rather a question of human psychology.

1 Like

How are “drop off buildings” something to defend?

2 Likes

Lol no!

A work’s value is determined by it’s users, not the creator.

1 Like

Ultimately, I’m inclined to agree with Sandy Peterson. AOE3 is the far better game for the following reasons:

• Faster-paced
  • Unique civs
  • Greater depth due to home city and card systems

Age 2 is great as well but comparing it to AOE3 is akin to comparing checkers to chess.

As I alluded to above, AOE2’s popularity is a psychology question for the ages (of empires). There are many possible reasons for AOE2 greater playerbase but inherent quality (if such a thing exists in subjective entertainment) is not necessarily one of them. After all, Fortnite and COD are played far more than AOE2 but that doesn’t mean they are “better” games. The MCU has sold more tickets than many classic movies but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are “better” movies.

Some reasons AOE2 was/is more popular:

• More affordable due to being playable on potatoe computers
  • More affordable due to being free in boxes of cereal
  • Came at the peak of RTS popularity
  • More PC re-releases and more recent expansion packs “resurrected” AOE2 long before 3 (big head start)
  • Nostalgia
  • More accessible due to its simplicity compared to AOE3
25 Likes

You could 1v7 HD hardest AI? It may have not been good but fighting 7 of them is still hard

I haven’t seen a single ad for any Age game, lol

Personal preference. I read this whole argument and the conclusion is personal preference. The facts can state what game is better (playerbase, reviews, metacritics, ect) and then you can have personal preference to what you think is the best. There could be people that think Aoe1 is the best game of the franchise and most likely, there will be some that will think Aoe4 is the best when it comes out. It all comes down to personal preference.
Btw, I don’t like mainstream pop music, I love anything from pop rock to Metal. I could do what you are doing and say Metal is the best genere of music because me and others love it. Metal is a very small genere in fanbase, but that is what you are doing. Claiming Aoe3 is better because you THINK it is is not logically correct.

1 Like

You should reread the whole thread.

They both are saying AOE2 is the far superior game.

I’m saying there is no superior or inferior game and it’s all a personnal preference.

For some reason I thought your profile pic was of the OP, lol.

According to the playerbase, it is.

1 Like

well, I’m not gonna repeat the 50 messages that was posted, you can read if you want people’s answers to that biased argument.

1 Like

Are you not biased as well? You say neither is superior because you think that. It isn’t a fact, it is…personal preference Like I said

These all decide which game is better. I am not saying anything about playercount, simply what the playbase has claimed.

67 ratings when steam estimate the selling at several hundreds thousands…

• the negativ comments don’t come for AOE3 for what I’ve read, it’s all from the Oktober launch where everything was buggy. People were raging cause they couldn’t play a game they liked apparently, that mean they wanted to play AOE3 actually.

That’s so biased…

aoe2 is better.

1 Like

I thought you didn’t care about playercount? :slight_smile:

The Metacritic score doesn’t come from the October launch, yet Aoe2 still has a higher Metacritic score

Aoe2 DE has a decent amount of bugs at its launch, that is a poor argument

If you are so neutral than why do you continue to argue? Leave us thinking that Aoe2 is better instead of trying to convince us otherwise. Doing so makes me think that you do not actually believe they are equal games

1 Like

AOE2DE’s people first year score at launch :

Then the devs fixed it and people could enjoy it, and he got better notes.

Well, the topic is someone here saying AOE3 is way better and he doesn’t understand why people like AOE2 more.

You are actually the guys arguing for AOE2 and not letting the other liking AOE3 more on the AOE3 forum lol.

5 Likes