Is the game balanced for Ending Age = Castle Age?

I am talking about Imperial Age.

That is an additional point of course. Yeah they would be worse than lithuanian knights, however Franks in Imperial Age have the weakness of lacking Hussars and both Imperia archer blacksmith upgrades, while Lithuanians get all of that. Teutons are indeed buffed in the same way though. Franks were just an example of how the castle age benefits cavalry civs over archer civs.

Thumb Ring is Castle Age tech. Bloodlines is Feudal Age tech.

I suppose throwing the arb+chemistry power spike out of the window sure doesnā€™t help.

Yes, itā€™s not ideal to lack those, but better just lack bloodlines/thumb ring rather than bloodlines + plate barding armour + literally every archer upgrade except chemitry and HCA.

I can tell you, right now, without any doubt, the Aztecs are horrible in castle age only games. Once the castles are up the aztecs canā€™t push, and if the Aztecs donā€™t push, the opponent masses pop-efficient units and wins.

Doesnā€™t matter, they donā€™t have an answer to LC raids. Practically the only way you can lose in Castle age-only games is by losing enough eco to not sustain units or by abandoning your castles to defend your exposed resources. Once the gold runs out the LC canā€™t be tracked, defend your eco or defend your castle. Aztecs have no options. They canā€™t raid and can be raided. Thatā€™s a losing matchup against anyone with a stable.

Yes, but now they canā€™t kill a castle to prevent their gold from running out before the end of the game. Having units that can kill a castle is really important, and no civ has that option in Castle-age only games. Itā€™s just way, way worse for meso civs, because when the gold does run out, which it absolutely will, they canā€™t answer LC efficiently. Their monks are pretty crazy but no Block printing in Castle age means it doesnā€™t make a real difference when castles control any position worth fighting over.

Cuman are the best civ then?

No, absolutely not. A bunch of civs are super geared towards imperial age play, so such civs are instantly trash tier. Many unique units are pretty useless in castle age, and only become viable once their Elite upgrade/UT kicks in. There are also some civs that will be kind of OP, because their imperial age is garbage, but have a really strong power spike in Castle Age.

Yeah the Capped ram is a serious problem unit, but Petards and Mangonels are just unmitigated terrors under a castle in castle age. Rams are the only unit that can assail a castle in castle age at all but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s effective since units tend to handle rams pretty well.

Thatā€™s why I think Mongols are probably unkillable. Best LC in the game + Anti-siege archer meaning you donā€™t even have to supply fragile anti-ram options like mangonels. You probably wonā€™t ever kill the Mangudai, and even if you do the LC raids are going to be absolutely vicious.

You know the best part? Celts lacking 2ManSaw is not a problem in Castle Age. Making them the best water civ and one of the best economies on land.

1 Like

Age of Empires 2 Meat Grinder edition

1 Like

Basically. A few friends of mine had a game of Castle-age ending age, and I didnā€™t participate. Fortunate for me, the game ran for four hours.

1 Like

Castle and Krepost HP needs to be reduced to make it easier.

maybe in games where Castle age is set as the ending age. Not generally. But definitely an option in that specific setting.

I donā€™t think they balance around such games. I mean, look at Cuman in feudal only games 11

1 Like

Who can beat Goths in dark-age only games?

Edit: Eventually running out of gold.

Burgundian can try to out eco them ig LOL

Soā€¦ Goths can make 20% more units for the same resourcesā€¦ But Mayans have 20% more resources to spendā€¦ But you canā€™t kill a TC with Militiaā€¦ But Doucheā€¦ But Defenderā€™s advantage to relocateā€¦

This mode was not made for human comprehension.

1 Like

They should have sprites with a tiny golden element. Like golden helmet, or golden shoulders, etc

One of my most disliked campaign scenarios are castle age siege. Civs donā€™t have good siege options for castle age. Beacuse of that every castle age game is boring - it is just spamming weak units against other weak units and avoiding castles, because those cant be taken down fast.

If castle age should be playable then siege units should be doing more dmg to castles, or castles HP needs to be reduced.

Petards. They can take out castles