Is this game a AOE copyright infringement?


#1

I recently saw a game advertised on Facebook that looks very nearly identical to Age of Empires 2. I was wondering if you had heard about it. It may be a completely different game underneath, but it looks on the surface like a copyright infringement issue.


#2

That Aztec Castle with the farms…


#3

No. It’s a separate IP with “Empires” in the title, inspired by Age of Empires II.


#4

No, you never ear about Empire Earth? Or 0 A.D?


#5

Okay, I know a game can be completely different in mechanics, play style, and coding.

The similarities in artwork made me a little suspicious.


#6

I think some buildings could be similar to the AOE ones because it is inspired on them. I remember one of the devs saying he liked to play AOE so…


#7

@“Fritz Kolbe” said:
Okay, I know a game can be completely different in mechanics, play style, and coding.

The similarities in artwork made me a little suspicious.
I don’t see any similarities , the faction are same based in same timeframe and architecture, where is the problem?


#8

Have u played Legion’ one of slitherine games. Its awesome too. Squad based battle It was done well before rome total war.


#9

@Yeshna12 said:
Have u played Legion’ one of slitherine games. Its awesome too. Squad based battle It was done well before rome total war.

Yes I remember praetorians have those squad/battalions system.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LcgVUcnRWGg/VA0S4uYqL3I/AAAAAAAAG60/UMIdvYAZz-w/s1600/praetorians%2Bgame%2Bscreenshot%2B2.jpg


#10

@Yeshna12 said:
Have u played Legion’ one of slitherine games. Its awesome too. Squad based battle It was done well before rome total war.

The studio did this Empires Apart is indie. Slithering is only the publisher. I’m beta testing this game too.


#11

@Augustusman said:

@Yeshna12 said:
Have u played Legion’ one of slitherine games. Its awesome too. Squad based battle It was done well before rome total war.

The studio did this Empires Apart is indie. Slithering is only the publisher. I’m beta testing this game too.

You’re not one of the beta discord regulars are you? We’re having a good time in there. :wink:

To be serious about the topic: Jurassic Park couldn’t license T. rex for exclusive toys because it was a real thing, and the same goes for historical civilizations and units. Game mechanics are hard to protect as well, as they’re usually not specific enough.

Aside from that I can’t say too much because non disclosure agreement, (they have begun a marketing push so I can tell you as much as you could reasonably have figured out from the stuff on youtube and such,) but there are actually some nice differences between EA and AOE that set the two franchises apart enough that one could enjoy both as their own thing. It’s not a bad project to keep an eye on if you enjoy the aoe games (but aren’t married to the one true path), which you do, that’s why you’re here. On the other hand EA is not a substitute for AOE4. It’s a much smaller project, not nearly as epic a scope, but it knows what it wants to be.


#12

@“Pan Calvus” said:

@Augustusman said:

@Yeshna12 said:
Have u played Legion’ one of slitherine games. Its awesome too. Squad based battle It was done well before rome total war.

The studio did this Empires Apart is indie. Slithering is only the publisher. I’m beta testing this game too.

You’re not one of the beta discord regulars are you? We’re having a good time in there. :wink:

To be serious about the topic: Jurassic Park couldn’t license T. rex for exclusive toys because it was a real thing, and the same goes for historical civilizations and units. Game mechanics are hard to protect as well, as they’re usually not specific enough.

Aside from that I can’t say too much because non disclosure agreement, (they have begun a marketing push so I can tell you as much as you could reasonably have figured out from the stuff on youtube and such,) but there are actually some nice differences between EA and AOE that set the two franchises apart enough that one could enjoy both as their own thing. It’s not a bad project to keep an eye on if you enjoy the aoe games (but aren’t married to the one true path), which you do, that’s why you’re here. On the other hand EA is not a substitute for AOE4. It’s a much smaller project, not nearly as epic a scope, but it knows what it wants to be.

I don’t have time to chat. Only spend my time in this and other RTS forum. The Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus existed but Jurassic Park make some differences in those specimens . But still haven’t copyright.

I play mostly similar franchises like 0 A.D open source and free, with high accuracy and immersion, Empires Apart basically OAK in 3D engine(unreal) and AoE franchise. there were others like Empire Earth.


#13

It really looks like AOE, but AOE is a classic :wink:


#14

@“Luis Miquilena” said:
It really looks like AOE, but AOE is a classic :wink:

No isn’t. Look like a generic low poly game.


#15

Looks kinda like AOEOnline from a distance


#16

@sonictimm said:
Looks kinda like AOEOnline from a distance

Less content, more faction but less diversity of maps, even haven’t a map editor. Low poly using unreal engine and poor optimized. Only good thing a mix of Blizzard rats with AoK.