Is this game near cancellation and death?

Way too early to be in panic mode…

And for all the flak Relic gets as having “FAILED AT EVERYTHING!”, lets remember that the only critical botch has been DOW 3. Before that, they ONE fairly mediocre release once upon a time in the form of Impossible Creatures, but they recovered from that just fine. I do not doubt they can recover from the DOW 3 fiasco as well.

The lack of news is not exactly an ill omen either. Again, they only announced that it was production last year. By contrast, Doom (2016) was announced shortly after Doom 3, around early development of Rage. We only ever saw anything of it by 2015, and the game itself turned out to be AMAZING.

Now, that game did in fact have a terrible development cycle, but note one thing; the devs were aware, and took the time to course correct. Which brings us to the point where, IF things are in fact scary at Relic, they may be quiet right now just as a means of assessment and course correction, which is a good thing.

Again though, I still think that being convinced there’s a disaster brewing is the height of pessimism. Relic has more successes than failures as a developer, and more good in their catalog than bad, so lets give them some credit.

I think they wanted to wait out the Definitive Edition release and the time after (maybe 1-3 months), before they inform us about AoE 4.

I also think or hope, that we get more information at E3 all the latest.
I would recommend you to check their social media sites, where Relic made some posts about Aoe2 and the Definitive Edition. I don’t think, that they tweet about Aoe, when they want to cancel Age4.

Such a move after announcing one of the most popular RTS games would be a huge loss of confidence for Microsoft, so I think it’s unlikely this will happen.

Nope. Don’t start rumors man. I waited so long for a new AOE.

I would expect gamescom 2018 to be the most likely moment for information. E3 could have a small teaser like some screenshots.

Yeah its very near like AoE 3 DE. We don’t have announcement in months.
–Sarcasm off—
The game must be in pre- alpha. I prefer devs work calm and without any great advertisements all f#### days.

AOE IV in E3 2018!

About the rumor in this topic:
“Is this game near cancellation and death?”

For a moment i almost bought it…

But microsoft, or SEGA(the mother company behind Relic entertainment), would never do any business with any company that is even close to bankruptcy. Which is basically rule number one in business.

@BAJOLI said:
About the rumor in this topic:
“Is this game near cancellation and death?”

For a moment i almost bought it…

But microsoft, or SEGA(the mother company behind Relic entertainment), would never do any business with any company that is even close to bankruptcy. Which is basically rule number one in business.

Guy, source please. I don’t believe believe, without a source. Please.

Is MS still investing in it?

As long as Relic still has its community managers streaming AoE, we know they are still under contract. Nobody ever said we’d see anything in 2018. Don’t let E3 feel like a missed milestone.

LOL, really!?!? Some of you want this game to not happen? Really!? Don’t assume and spread any rumors until the official words come from Microsoft and relic. We should boost the morale for community. Sure they missed E3, but it was announced last year, and the worst thing that can happen is game get delay(But at least we should have seen AOE 2 remake). So patience my friend be patience.

Its a conspiracy theory.

Seriously just stop with all the doom and gloom threads already the game only showed a title screen meaning it’s very early in development, It’s like people crying for Metroid prime 4 to be showcased at Nintendo Treehouse right now. When a game only shows the title and nothing else it’s way far off release and has nothing tangible to show or talk about I get the wish to see stuff but please be a bit more patient and don’t post assumptions like this. As @“Andy P” Points out, we have the DE:s to keep us occupied. I’ll go out on a limb here and say that we won’t see anything AOE4 related until AOE3 DE is finished for the simple reason that they don’t want to obershadow the DE Products and i’m fine if that ends up being the case because I want AOE4 to be succesful.

As for AOE 2 DE we might get a full reveal of that at this years Gamescom if not a bit earlier than that.

Relic and M$ could both win awards for worst developer communication.

@AAHale said:
Relic and M$ could both win awards for worst developer communication.

I don’t see any problem, I prefer the silence than those developers are pure smoke and promises.

I really hope this game isn’t canceled. It’s possible that they were doing this announcement to judge what the response would be. It’s important that they know that the community really wants this!

This forum reminds me of the forum for Command and Conquer Generals 2… people were dismissing concerns and saying that “more was coming” right up until the very end.

So just so we are clear, Vermi1lion Hawk, it is your position that AoE4 has been cancelled?

sincerely guys, what do we have in hand to say that there is a bad communication of Relic / MS with the entire community of AoE? or worse yet, what certainties does anyone say that AoE 4 is close to death?
Let’s analyze certain points: we have a trailer that announces AoE 4 … enough! we do not know an exit date; we do not know in what stage of development the game is found. Now, only time can answer the questions, doubts and concerns that we have at this moment! If at this year’s gamescom they will show an AoE4 game at an advanced stage of development, then yes, we could say that there was a willingness on the part of Relic / MS not to confront (at least directly, because they could have read any of our comment here on the forum) with the AoE community! But if we are still in the early stages, we can not expect them to tell us about life, death and miracles of AoE4 !! do not forget, they also announced the DE of AoE2 and AoE3 and so it is obvious to think that the game AoE 4 can not be released together with the final editions of AoE … otherwise you would buy AoE 2/3 DE with the upcoming release of AoE4 ?? so, do not shout to the scandal if we do not know anything about AoE4! wait, wait to find out more …

Yes, I totally agree with CostlierParrot3. I don’t think, that Relic would pin her Age of Empires 4 post on Facebook, if they had stopped working on the game.
Besides, the last Relic Twitter Retweet about Aoe was the 17th May 2018, so don’t panic.