Italians and Portugese

I like the idea of self trading.

Self training could be implemented by allowing trade units to enter the building. So a feitoria or a market may generate x gold/min per garrisoned unit. Clearly this needs an upper bound. Say, just as example,15g/min per trade unit up to 60g/min (so no need to garrison more than 4 units).

Still it would be a late game bonus, but, maybe, it can be tuned for other civs:

• turks: they could use a self trading mechanism at lower gold generation. Useful for the civ with the worst trash in the game.
  • Italians: the effect of the silk road UT should become a civ bonus. So actually it could make sense to train trade carts in feudal to boost your eco. Especially in pure land maps where you do have more wood since you do not build ships.

Thb, feitoria could be much cheaper and have a mechanics similar to the gardens of AoM.

In AoM you choose which resource the gardens generate. But you cannot have more than 10 gardens.

But balancing Portuguese around feitorias would be very difficult.

A more consistent bonus for early stages would be to have a radius of x tiles explored (so just fog of war) around the starting TC. This would give them a very robust start.

FU hussars are good, knight line is decent, but far from being crazy or sometimes to rely on all games.

What? They lose versus every other archer, and just because they survive a manganel shot doesnā€™t mean that they are a siege counter, especially with 1 less range.

As for the anti cav bonus, yes they are good vs cavalry, but they take soo long to train from a castle (more than a cataphract) that they arenā€™t worth it.

It would be difficult to balance and to play, maybe though they could have a bonus in that direction, like free stone mining upgrades, to help them with castles and feritorias.

What about Farms and Fishing ships cost 15% Wood less instead of only Fishing ship is 15% cheaper? This gives Italians a bit of wood bonus without altering water balance.

1 Like

It can work imo, basically a weaker version of the teuton bonus extended to 2 thingsā€¦ It makes sense, like the discount on economic building for Japanese is much stronger than the one of malians, which is widerā€¦

As alternative, farmers carry +2 per age from feudal. Worse than Aztecs in the early stages, but similar to them in impā€¦

1 Like

I would like that they would bring back the old - 15 wood on FS (-15% feels weird). Though, it wouldnā€™t help at all for their main problems.

-15 wood on farm (or another farm bonus) doesnā€™t really make sense, in italy there is much space for crops (being mostly a mountain region) like for example in center europe (represented by the teutons, slavs and franks farm bonuses).

Is Italy similar to Spain, lacking fertile land for agriculture? I know those states depended on salt early on

I type it wrong. 15% discount is enough for civ bonus. i.e. Both Fishing ships and Farms are 15% cheaper. My intention is to give them wood bonus to sustain their archer-line production as an archer civ and give them more potential to age up earlier in land maps.

It can be even a larger carry capability. Even +6, considering that Aztecs have +5 on all resourcesā€¦ also it has a limited effect on water, especially in the early stages.

Even a faster moving villager when he/she is farming. This is another way to give a farm boostā€¦

But simplyā€¦ what about a bonus saying: all military non-gunpowder units cost -10%f?

Clearly negligible on water.

Slightly buffed maa/scout openings. Slightly better skyrms. Slightly better knights and hussars in the later stages.

This basically buffs also condos a bit.

This does not synergies very good with a full xbow game, but also civs like Magyars have a similar problemā€¦

Better to give it to Portuguese as team bonus.

It is too strong as a team bonus and also for a civ with already a gold discount imoā€¦ I think it can fit Italians properly! They may get a decent scout rushā€¦

In Italy there is a lot of fertile lands for orchards (vines, apples, lemonsā€¦) but very little space for crops and such.

It would be a buff, but not one that really makes sense.

Berbers already have that kind of bonus, and itā€™s not great, slavs faster farming is way better.

Italians are an archer civ, so in my opinion we should buff those instead of other generic units, and archers donā€™t cost food.

Free cart. is a good team bonus, very useful in team games, but useless in 1v1 (like spanish), so instead it would be better to simply buff something else.

Cartography has been removed in patch 5.7. Allies line of sight is immediately shared once market is built. Thatā€™s why @Szebo210 said Portuguese has no team bonus. Portuguese is just bad at team games and land maps but not even stand out much in water maps.

1 Like

Yeah I meant free cart from dark age, so sooner than the enemy.

Not that much bad, they simply are generic, like Italians, but their team bonus is actually useful, so I donā€™t think itā€™s that their problem.

Yes but they have condos and hussars. A food discount makes a lot of sense imo. In feudal it is very useful, in castle it is less powerful if you are going pure archers but you may want to have some pikes knights, light cav, skyrms. It is more useful in imp. I mean, this would bring Italians to a similar level of Magyars

they beat generic fully upgraded arbalest in large groups with a 1:1 ratio.

No because those are more of support units, not their main to go units.

Hera made a video of best arabia civs, while this is a bit off topic, substantially he said that the Italians problem is that they are generic, so a buff that would help a bit of everything wouldnā€™t help them, they could use instead a bonus that makes something a bit higher than average.

But when do you get to the point of using GC that cost more and require a castle (so a lot harder to mass) to counter generic arbs 1:1, arbs trained from ranges will always outnumber you, and also have +1 range and can out-micro you.
So yes, they lose vs generic xbows.

It is a generic bonus which helps a bit also in feudal. It seems to me very well balanced, not OP, at allā€¦

Italians are more a versatile civ than an archer civ in practice, since they archers are generic until pavise, which is a weak tech, and their UU is also badā€¦

It is balanced, but itā€™s generic, and the problem of italians and portos is that they are too generic (more Italians than portos), so instead they need a more focused bonus.

Chinese are an archer civ, and are a lot more flexible, etiopians too, to some extent.

That is the classification. But clearly Chinese are a very versatile civ, much more tham britons. Italians are more similar to Chinese (much weaker ofc). Open tech tree, a small archer focus, but nothing moreā€¦ I think this 10% food discount could work.

A generic civ has the advantage to have less bad matchups, which is very good for casual players (which are the one supposed to play Italians and Portuguese on Arabia)