Join the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Beta on the Microsoft Store!

On the heels of some recent announcements about Age of Empires: Definitive Edition , we’re opening up an AoE: DE Beta on the Microsoft Store via the Xbox Insider Hub app on PC! This beta is first-come-first-serve and will help us test cross-network play functionality ahead of the game’s release to Steam later this month. Access to this beta is now available via the Xbox Insider Hub!

To get started, check out this step-by-step guide below:

Step 1 – Download the Xbox Insider Hub

1. Launch the Microsoft Store from the Start Menu.
  2. In the top right of the Microsoft Store, search for Xbox Insider Hub or click here to open the product page.
  3. Click Get on the Xbox Insider Hub product page.
    If prompted when downloading, please login with the Microsoft Account (MSA) that you used to sign up as an Age Insider.
  4. Download and install the Xbox Insider Hub app.
  5. Login to the Xbox Insider Hub app using the Microsoft Account (MSA) that you used to sign up as an Age Insider.

Step 2 – Download and Install the Beta

1. With the Xbox Insider Hub app open and logged in, select Insider Content from the menu on the left of the app window.
  2. Select the AoE: DE Beta tile.
  3. On the screen that appears, select the Join button.
  4. Carefully review and accept the Terms and Conditions presented to you.
  5. The Xbox Insider Hub may take a few moments to process your join request. You will be redirected to the Microsoft Store page for Age: DE .
  6. Select Install to download and install the beta preview.
    Note: You must be running Windows 10 version 1903 or higher to initiate and complete the installation. Learn how to update here.

What next?

• Start playing the beta! Remember, it’s first-come-first-serve, so don’t delay on joining the beta preview via the Xbox Insider Hub!
  • Review our recently updated Age of Empires Insider FAQ.
  • Remember you’re testing a version of the game that is not considered final; any feature is subject to change or removal.

Questions? Post below or reach out to us at AoEInsiderSupport@microsoft.com.

See you in the beta!

14 Likes

Suggested Matchmaking Times

To help facilitate matchmaking, if you choose to participate in this beta, we suggest accessing or creating an Age: DE Beta lobby near the following windows of time so that there are more players online to play:

• 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. PDT / 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. EDT / 15:00 - 16:00 GMT
  • 12 p.m. - 1 p.m. PDT/ 3 p.m. - 4 p.m. EDT/ 18:00 - 19:00 GMT
  • 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. PDT / 5 p.m. - 6 p.m. EDT / 21:00 - 22:00 GMT
  • 6 p.m. - 7 p.m. PDT / 9 p.m. - 10 p.m. EDT / 1:00 - 2:00 GMT
  • 10 p.m. - 11 p.m. PDT / 1 a.m. - 2 a.m. EDT / 5:00 - 6:00 GMT

You are more than welcome to sign-in and play at other times as well!

7 Likes

I received the email to download the XBOX insider hub, but AOE DE does not appear to be in my insider content. Its the same account i signed up with.

10 Likes

Same thing happening here.

4 Likes

Same here :thinking:

3 Likes

I received the email, but Age does not appear on the xbox hub for me

6 Likes

Quick Question:

Is there a difference between this BETA and the “Age of Empires: Definite Edition” that came with my PC over a year ago?

1 Like

I got the email for the beta and IMMEDIATELY followed the steps. Within minutes. Nothing in the “Insiders Content” tab. Used the same account I signed up with for the beta. Even tried multiple accounts with no luck.

3 Likes

It’s the same problem with me as well. :joy:

3 Likes

Well, the purpose of this beta is to test the cross-network play functionality.

2 Likes

The email I received says"

Access to this beta will become available starting tomorrow, August 7 at 10 a.m. PT.

Perhaps it will show in the App after then?

5 Likes

Maybe it is only up there on the time that they said (10.AM PT)

5 Likes

Today I checked email and I got email from you guys for AoE DE Beta and in the above quote the mentioned tile is missing. I don’t have AoE tile. I already own the game.

1 Like

The same thing here - no BETA in the Insider-HUB.

Also offtopic: How can i change my name in this forum? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got email about 40 minutes ago and the beta tile is simply missing and the email already said that it is first come first serve basis.

Shows just how little we read of our emails. I skipped straight to the Insider Hub download link. Then I spent a whole hour troubleshooting Insider Content before I finally went back and read the bolded part:
Access to this beta will become available starting tomorrow, August 7 at 10 a.m. PT.

Not today guys! Tomorrow! I feel so silly -.- They sent the emails a day early so we could be ready and arrive on time.

Edit: Yes, there could have been a placeholder in the Xbox Insider Hub to avoid much of this. But it will all be over in 17 hours.

3 Likes

to be fair, it makes it sounded like you can get into it and pre-download it today. I think it was a bit unclear

2 Likes

lol, you got me. Silly, it is.

Sad thing is, I already own the game.

1 Like

I can’t get the app

4 Likes