[Just for fun] Unique bonuses for hypothetical new civs

Hello everyone. I’m making this thread to hear your ideas of civ bonuses or technologies that are unique in some way for hypothetical new civs or civs redesigns, that slightly changes the mechanics of the game giving a unique identity or playstyle to the civ.

The idea is to be realistic in what could be implemented like cuman feudal town centers or khmer farms, and to not go too far with the uniqueness. I say this because I’ve seen proposals for morale/healing auras and hybrid land-water units that not only is difficult to make it work with this engine, but are in my oppinion too much over the top and kind of bizarre for the mechanics of the game.

I’ll begin with some of my ideas and some that I’ve come across in this forum:

• Self trade: I originally came up with this one while thinking about a feitoria rework. I thought that feitorias, historically being trade posts in colonies to commerce with the metropoli, could be redesign as a building with the only purpose of trading with yourself, but at a much lower rate than normal trade. It would be just a place to send your trade carts and they would return with gold. No carts or technologies would be able to be created or researched there. Now I think that the concept of self trade could be applied also to turks as a solution to their late game gold issues.

• Gunpowder available from castle age. Gunpowder units would still be available only in imperial, but a +1 attack in castle age locked behind an slow to research technology could be an interesting power spike. You still would prefer thumb ring and ballistics first.

• Market exchange prices cannot fall below certain value: Another market bonus. I think that the prosperity and power that comes with trade is an aspect not enough covered when civilizations were designed. I was thinking a value of 21 or so. Price would not be able to fall below that numer. The difference of this bonus with saracens’ one is that instead of an early game buff that you can exploit for a strong power spike it’s more of a late game advantage over your opponent in trash wars, and a comeback opportunity when your enemy controls most of the gold mines.

• Archers can be created in barracks and stables: Originally proposed by @Sylux1000 in the “my balance suggestion for august patch” thread, as a possible italian buff. As was explained in that thread (iirc), in late medieval italy (and also portugal) citiziens were instructed in the use of crossbows in case of an attack to the city, thus it could be reflected by letting archers to be trained in barracks and stables in addition to the archery range. An useful bonus for faster rushes and save some wood early game. Shine for its uniqueness. I would limit the bonus to barracks only though, just because archers in stables seems weird.

• Herdables created in mills: I’ve seen this one long time ago in a tibetan civ proposal (with yaks), and recently come across with it again in this forum (dont remember which thread o by whom exactly), as a buff for tatars (with sheeps). An intresenting mechanic, maybe hard to balance. They would cost some food or wood to create just like farms. Could with some (a lot of) work be taken to an extent of replacing farms entirely, fitting for a nomadic civ like cumans, huns or tatars.

• Animals don’t rot: Another one about herdables that I’ve seen in this forum. Again I don’t remember where exactly. Maybe a weak bonus but not as weak as incas’ team bonus. At least it’s unique.

Ok, those are mine (with some borrowed ones). I’m eager to hear your unique ideas, be it a bonus, technology, building or unit.

13 Likes
  • Imp UT: “Long Pikes”: pikemen have +1 range
  • ships can go back into (garrison) docks

Perhaps slightly too unique:

• villagers can walk through trees

These 2 might be slightly frustrating, but could still be interesting, both on the theme of ‘sustainable hunting/gathering’:

• huntables respawn
  • berry bushes regenerate food

Not mine, but still interesting proposals:

• farms are 2x2
  • farmers regenerate hp (possible team bonus)
  • UTs can be researched in TC/University

Edit with inspiration from @RobotRoom:

• Fish last longer (like the Tatar bonus, could be up to +100%, would arguably be a strong water bonus)
5 Likes

Possible very strong bonus: A technology and a unit can be researched/trained at the same time:

• You can research Loom while creating villagers
  • You can make Villagers when aging up(or wheelbarrow, town watch, etc…)
  • Make Trebs and Consription at the same time

The second one is definitely game breaking

5 Likes

I agree, but we said the same about second TC in Feudal or Khmer farmers.

1 Like

Khmer farming doesn’t magically give you 20-25 vill lead 11

And fish. This would be interesting not as a civ bonus, but as a map bonus. For example, a herd of deer wanders in at the start of Castle Age. The opposite could also be fun, like sudden famine at a certain time or age. Forest fires?

Or more generally, villagers regenerate HP. It wouldn’t be enough to make them good infantry, but would allow a villager to recover from boar and wild animal wounds.

How about:

• You get a % of the gold traded with your market. This would benefit being flank.
  • Monasteries heal
  • Pikeman in Feudal Age (to make it a difficult civ to scout rush)
  • Villager bonus damage against towers (to make it a difficult civ to tower rush)
  • Villager extra line of sight or automatic town watch (to make it a good civ for nomad / finding resources faster)

Basically, a small variation that would make an existing civ or new civ situationally interesting.

This would be perfect for a (forgive me for what i’m going to say) celts rework into a more similar to medieval scotland civ.
Or maybe a swiss civ.

I’ve seen this a lot too. Forgot to add it to the list. It would be a good farm bonus different than what we already have.

A minor bonus if the regeneration is like berserker or berber camels, but unique enough. I like it.

3 Likes

Eco boni from various mods which I really like:

• Economic techs available one age earlier
  • Towncenters spawn 1 Villager in Feudal/Castle Age; Towncenter build in Castle/Imperial Age spawn 2 Villagers
  • Farms are 2x2 instead of 3x3
  • Mills, Lumber Camps, Mining Camps are mobile but have slightly less HP
  • Blacksmith upgrades are automatically researched for free an age after they become available
  • Upon Age, receive 1/2/2 free villagers.TC built in Castle Age spawn 2 free villagers
  • Villager work 6% faster
  • Drop-off buildings merged
  • Eagle Warrior upgrades free
  • Castle Age upgrade 25% cheaper
  • Economic units return 50% of their cost when killed
  • Start with +2 villagers but -150 food
  • All units cost 5% less
  • Receive 50 stone and 100 wood per age
  • 5/60 wood 4/50 food and 0/15 stone per minute generate in Dark/Imperial Age
  • +5 Villager HP for each Towncenter technology
  • Can create Cows from Town center which cost gold. Cost gold
  • Blacksmith techs cost -50% food
  • Dropsites research at twice the speed.
  • Castles get +2000 HP (probably too strong)
  • Towncenters (TC bonus starts in Castle Age), Houses, Docks and Markets build 40% faster

The next ones are bundled:

Bundle 1:

• Start with -150f but +200g, +50 wood
  • Villager cost 55 gold, return 40 gold on death
  • Gold mines last 30% longer (=240 gold more each tile)

Bundle 2:

• Villager +1 range per Age, benefit from Fledging, Bodkin Arrow, Bracer and Chemistry, do pierce damage.
  • Villager do +1 damage vs villager (to compensate that they do pierce damage)

Military boni:

• Siege technologies 40% cheaper
  • Infantry armour technologies affect cavalry and archers, whose armour technologies are no longer available
  • Pikeman +1 range from Castle Age on
  • Barrack upgrades cost no gold
  • Stable upgrades 50% cheaper
  • Chevalier available in Castle Age (Probably without Blood Lines)
  • Fletching, Bodkin arrow and Bracer are free, but require a blacksmith
  • Projectiles are faster
  • Stables and scouts can be made in the dark age
  • Spearmen available in Dark Age
  • Archer-line upgrades free (too strong probably)
  • Archer line benefit twice from Bodking Arrow, Bracer and Chemistry (no Crossbow upgrade)

Sources:

https://sites.google.com/view/aoe2-civ-concepts-llc/home

8 Likes

some nice ideas that other people recommended, i like how you point out when you think its too strong, but miss obviously too strong ones like this… :rofl:

like how good do you think 25 “weak” archers are vs a feudal rush? 130 free “weak” archers are in the imperial age? how effective is raiding when villagers suddenly become 60 archers… theres a HUGE difference between melee and ranged and you want to give them extra damage on top of that? even if they are very short range… (lel 6 range is more than quite a few units…)

They’d only have 1 range in Feudal and 0 in Dark. You also want to avoid villager idle time.

It could be OP for Tower rushes but even there I’m not convinced.

Don’t forget that your “archer” have ranged attack maybe but no formations , no stances and they do not autoattack.

I’m not sure there.

2 Likes

This one could work for Turks

what is peoples problem with turks?

i think something like university tech can be researched three times, may be OP though

my only problem with adding things like trainable sheep or vills use their bows is “why cant other civs do it”?

8 Likes

The same question could be made about every bonus in the game. The point of civ bonuses is to give civs something the rest don’t have, isn’t it?

3 Likes

my point true for ones like khmer houses (why cant other people hide in their house?), but what i meant was making a civ more logical is not a good move,
in reality a slavic farmer probably did farm faster than a British one, but when you give a civ vills that are smart enough to use their hunting bows for combat?
can’t a shepard breed sheep using food they bought with gold?
i hope you understand

3 new ideas:

• All eco bonuses are available 1 age earlier (probably wouldn’t be as strong as you might think, similarly to Cumans)
  • All blacksmith upgrades are available 1 age earlier (though this could make crossbows, Knights and eagles particularly OP)
  • TCs +10 LOS
1 Like

Here are some from me:

• Herdables have +2 LOS

• Every kill your units get(excluding GAIA), you earn 5 gold

• 2x HP on Houses and Drop Sites

• Rams get +1 Range and attack 10% faster

• Skirmishers attack 33% faster

• Trade carts 2x or 3x HP (potentially op as a team bonus)

• Every technology is researched 50% faster (except Age up)

• Some civ should have a 3rd feudal unique tech at the Town Center

• Trash units regenerate hp slowly (can be an imperial unique tech or a bonus)

• Garrison sheep in mills to generate food slowly (will generate food at the speed of half of a dark age farmer)

• Market techs cost no gold

• Rax or Archery Range or Stable costs 50 less wood (starting in feudal)

• Military buildings 2x HP

• Military buildings have 2x space (0/20 instead of 0/10)

• rax/range/stable/workshop techs research 60% faster

• All buildings except towers/outposts/castles/TCs +2 LOS

• University Techs 50% cheaper

• Fortified Walls free

• Siege Engineers free

• UT - Cavalry have +8 anti cavalry armor

• UT - skirms get +3 dmg vs infantry, archers +2

9 Likes

Farms are 2x2
Food gatherers pull 2 wood for every 10 food
Villagers +5 hitpoints each Town Center technology
Can build Storehouse (merged drop-off, TC techs can be researched too)
Trees last 35% longer
Mills, Lumber Camps and Mining Camps support 5 population
Miners don’t need to drop off
Recieve 1/2/3/4 free Fishing Ships in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial age
Lumberjack carry +10
Can train Water Buffalo from Mill (maximum 20)
Villagers regenerate 1 hitpoint per minute
Mines last 30% longer
Villagers work 5% faster (expect Farmers)
Farm upgrades give extant Farms additional food
Economic technologies are researched 150% faster
Lumberjacks don’t need to drop off food, but start with -100W (having no lumberjack upgrades)
Recieve 1/2/3 free Villagers whenever a new age is reached and new TCs spawn a villager
Fish last 50% longer
Gillnets is free
Foragers carry +15 and berries last 50% longer
Economic upgrades are available an age earlier
Meat don’t decay
Advancing to the Castle Age is 33% cheaper
Fishermen don’t need to drop off
Farms contain +125 food per age, starting in the Dark Age
Repairers work 100% faster and repairing costs 25% less
Military units (expect Scouts) cost 20% less food
Start with +150 wood
Technologies are researched 25% faster
Start with +2 villagers but -150F
Markets are independent but trading is 15% more expensive in the Imperial Age
Start with +150 stone
Fishing Ships carry +15
Farms give 10 food when built
Wheelbarrow and Hand Cart have double effect on Villagers
Can build Gardens in the Feudal Age (max. 5) [improved Farms]
Hunters don’t need to drop off food
Huntables last 35% longer
Economic upgrades cost 60/80/100% less food in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial age
Start with a Horse and 2 Houses
Own Herdables and Wolves are revealed
Recieve 100W and 100S whenever a new age is reached
Stone Mining and Stone Shaft Mining are free
Start with 3 Farms and a Lumbercamp

1 Like

Special ability from civ is to make invisible traps like burning oil that damage enemy who walk through the hole.