Keep Calm and Wololo—Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Hotfixes and Support Plan - Age of Empires


#21

@SvelterPenny568 said:
Fixing the game for (the few) people who can’t start it should obviously be a priority, but you guys seriously need to fix the AI. They’re doing this weird thing where they send their villagers to the other side of the map to hunt/gather, when there are perfectly good resources to hunt/gather right near their town centre. This is causing the AI to lose massive amounts of villagers very early in the game to lions/guard towers/enemy units, sometimes even to the point where they lose all their villagers and have no food left to create more so they have to quit.

In custom game (random map/skirmish mode) the AI sometimes just doesn’t work. I’ve learned not to play on water maps at all (because the AI can’t handle it) and to just stick to hill country or highland map with no water. I’ve learned not to begin in nomad mode because the AI can’t handle it, so I always start at least stone age. I’ve learned not to begin with low resources because the AI loses all its villagers and can’t create more, so I always play with at least medium resources. I’ve learned to put everybody on a team because if you leave the AI teamless they will only attack you.

I’ve do all of these things in all of my games now, but still the AI is sometimes completely dead. Sometimes they build up properly and begin to attack me in the tool age with slingers, then with cavalry and catapults in the bronze age, this is fine.

But sometimes, with the exact same settings as above, I get to the iron age and haven’t been attacked once, and I send out a couple of scouts to see what the AI is doing and half of them are still in the tool age with only 4 villagers and no military. Some of them have their villagers all over the map mining gold when there is gold right near their town center.

Basically the AI is screwed. I hope you’re working on this.

Maybe they should just Rollback to the Original AI. And the Campaign and Skimished would work better than this.


#22

@GluurakLP said:

@SvelterPenny568 said:
Fixing the game for (the few) people who can’t start it should obviously be a priority, but you guys seriously need to fix the AI. They’re doing this weird thing where they send their villagers to the other side of the map to hunt/gather, when there are perfectly good resources to hunt/gather right near their town centre. This is causing the AI to lose massive amounts of villagers very early in the game to lions/guard towers/enemy units, sometimes even to the point where they lose all their villagers and have no food left to create more so they have to quit.

In custom game (random map/skirmish mode) the AI sometimes just doesn’t work. I’ve learned not to play on water maps at all (because the AI can’t handle it) and to just stick to hill country or highland map with no water. I’ve learned not to begin in nomad mode because the AI can’t handle it, so I always start at least stone age. I’ve learned not to begin with low resources because the AI loses all its villagers and can’t create more, so I always play with at least medium resources. I’ve learned to put everybody on a team because if you leave the AI teamless they will only attack you.

I’ve do all of these things in all of my games now, but still the AI is sometimes completely dead. Sometimes they build up properly and begin to attack me in the tool age with slingers, then with cavalry and catapults in the bronze age, this is fine.

But sometimes, with the exact same settings as above, I get to the iron age and haven’t been attacked once, and I send out a couple of scouts to see what the AI is doing and half of them are still in the tool age with only 4 villagers and no military. Some of them have their villagers all over the map mining gold when there is gold right near their town center.

Basically the AI is screwed. I hope you’re working on this.

Maybe they should just Rollback to the Original AI. And the Campaign and Skimished would work better than this.

Lol no. While the ai is definitely buggy, it’s actually not as bad as the original game’s ai. The original game’s ai was actually kinda atrocious. Ensemble improved the ai significantly by the time they released Age 2 a few years later.


#23

@MjprogueP said:
Why the hell does this exist? More importantly who are the idiots purchasing it? After you totally ripped off all the purchasers of the last AOE…why would anyone trust you not to do the same…and why on earth would you even want to make a new version when you canned the best AOE yet? Makes me sick that people are falling for this con game.

How’d they rip off purchasers of the last game? Haven’t bought Age 2 hd because Steam is actually a very clunky, user unfriendly system, but from everything I’m seeing everyone likes it. I actually would get it in a second myself if it could be found somewhere besides steam lol. EA’s Origin counterpart is nowhere near as disorganized and so much easier to use. Steam is just horrendous. When they remaster Age 2, I would hope they include those new expansions. Been wanting to try them for a while but seems only way to do so is through Steam, and I refuse to go through Steam for anything.


#24

@XIVdarkdays said:
Let them work on the issues without stressing them, please. Of course the game has some technical issues and has some things that need an improvement, but an avalanche of criticism and hurrying comments will not help. We already know that they are working on it, so calm down and please use the Support Forums. And please STOP with the gates/farm queue bucle, those are AoE II features, and this is a remaster, not a remake.

 @DamiiK92 said:

realice la compra del juego, ayer lo inicie sin problemas y hoy lo quise abrir y se cierra automaticamente. Espero pronta respuesta

Si se cierra antes de iniciar las intros, prueba esto: entra en la Windows Store, inicia la descarga de cualquier app gratuita (Age of Empires: Castle Siege, por ejemplo), y cuando empiece a descargar la paras (si no te interesa tenerla, puedes cancelarla). Ahora prueba de nuevo a iniciar Age of Empires Definitive Edition.

The gates are in fact a MAJOR issue - removing them has made a nonsense of the whole thing - I am going back to AOEII HD - a far better and much more enjoyable experience - DE is frankly eye candy at best - and most damning of all - it’s boring after a short while … A very poor “re-mastering” or whatever you choose to call it …


#25

Please fix path-finding, ugly fonts, micro stutters (on an 8 core CPU!) and graphics scaling without the need to change settings each time I want to zoom in. You are asking a lot of money for the game so please stop acting like everyone’s happy because the ratings clearly show that it’s exactly the opposite.


#26

AI really needs rework. It completely ruined one of my missions in Campaign. What happened is that AI lost all villagers and when I attacked their town it was a ghost town. I simply walzed in without any struggle. So boring :frowning:

In my skirmish game today AI did not even managed to move out of Tool Age.
When I compare AI from original AoE with UPatch to Definite Edition, the original is much, much better.

Although once I saw an AI that was capable of sending waves after waves of their units and actually beat me, but the point is that it should be able to do it consistently to keep the game fun and interesting. But maybe it was because there were no rivers, because AI loves to send villagers across the river to their death.

AI is definitely unpredictable, please make it more fun.


#27

I’ve been checking all the “solutions” they suggest and playing with other extras I realized that the game starts and soon after it falls down when I have my AMD graphic card activated and if I disable it the game runs, but with problems that prevent the gameplay, my question really is if all the work they have done to give life back to such an iconic game in the RTS genre has really been completed seeing all the problems and complaints that exist, I only say that if the original game it ran well from the beginning because a simple improvement of graphics and the pathfinder doesn´t


#28

@richwillis99 said:

@XIVdarkdays said:

Let them work on the issues without stressing them, please. Of course the game has some technical issues and has some things that need an improvement, but an avalanche of criticism and hurrying comments will not help. We already know that they are working on it, so calm down and please use the Support Forums. And please STOP with the gates/farm queue bucle, those are AoE II features, and this is a remaster, not a remake.



@DamiiK92 said:

realice la compra del juego, ayer lo inicie sin problemas y hoy lo quise abrir y se cierra automaticamente. Espero pronta respuesta











Si se cierra antes de iniciar las intros, prueba esto: entra en la Windows Store, inicia la descarga de cualquier app gratuita (Age of Empires: Castle Siege, por ejemplo), y cuando empiece a descargar la paras (si no te interesa tenerla, puedes cancelarla). Ahora prueba de nuevo a iniciar Age of Empires Definitive Edition.





The gates are in fact a MAJOR issue - removing them has made a nonsense of the whole thing - I am going back to AOEII HD - a far better and much more enjoyable experience - DE is frankly eye candy at best - and most damning of all - it’s boring after a short while … A very poor “re-mastering” or whatever you choose to call it …

My man, I think you didn’t understood a thing… they have not removed any gates, because the original Age of Empires never had gates. Gates are an Age of Empires II (and III) feature, but AoE never had it. And Age of Empires Definitive Edition is a remaster of the original AoE, so it simply doesn’t make any sense adding gates here.

AoE II and III Definitive Editions are expected to be released on the next few years, and there you will have your beloved gates. Jesus Christ…


#29

make the players a better lobby the lobby is ok but be nice if we can see everyone theres a better format for a lobby than what you all have gave us something like zone.com would be nice but nice update to the game


#30

@ExportedClown72 said:
@MjprogueP said:
Why the hell does this exist? More importantly who are the idiots purchasing it? After you totally ripped off all the purchasers of the last AOE…why would anyone trust you not to do the same…and why on earth would you even want to make a new version when you canned the best AOE yet? Makes me sick that people are falling for this con game.

How’d they rip off purchasers of the last game? Haven’t bought Age 2 hd because Steam is actually a very clunky, user unfriendly system, but from everything I’m seeing everyone likes it. I actually would get it in a second myself if it could be found somewhere besides steam lol. EA’s Origin counterpart is nowhere near as disorganized and so much easier to use. Steam is just horrendous. When they remaster Age 2, I would hope they include those new expansions. Been wanting to try them for a while but seems only way to do so is through Steam, and I refuse to go through Steam for anything.

They charged us a fortune for content on AOE online then pulled the entire game out fom under us…no refunds, no offline option to download and play…no permissions to keep the game going on independant servers (despite enormous interest in doing so). It wasn’t making the money they wanted and they wanted to keep us on the hook for the next edition. Jokes on them…EA will never get a dime from me for any product again.


#31

that path finding, u get more than 10 Soldiers, GODDAMN , they cant move and fight , just standing around eachother, while only 1 or 2 r attacking ! Meele fight r impossible ! PLEASE FIX this


#32

@burrowssj said:
Mod support

Gates

Unit grouping

Production Queuing (e.g more than 1 upgrade at a time)

Better farm refresh system, aoe2 had a decent one?

AI needs improvement (try island map and see what happens)



Not sure how you miss some of these issues and ok it for release in that state. Embarrassing tbh.

I agree there should be actual mod support and that the AI could use some improvements. But the rest of your issues is just what AoE 1 is like.


#33

A ton of the changes that have been made are amazing and make the game so much better. Probably all of them actually. I would say the only issues that remain are with the AI which still does stupid things like sending vils across the map for gazelles and double tasking farms so one derps out in the middle. DE might have become my favorite AOE once again


#34

awesome remake enjoying the hell out of the game hate that people are having trouble with the download or launching but I’m sure Microsoft will fix it the units get stuck running in place sometimes the vills scatter to far sometimes lol but easy fixes I believe what do u expect in a hurry up release new aoe version but all of us aoe ror fans should be thankful for this we need a better LOBBY Microsoft hook us up so we can see whos all online


#35

7 days and still the game cant start wtf microsoft


#36

I was tired of being a cheap beta tester…I have given it back to the store.
I`m sorry but…


#37

AOE1 with gates? Do not overhelm the AI.^^’

content update

  • teach the AI how to use water maps
  • AI allys should be more usfull in more difficult stages
  • Queues for technological progress
  • fix some translated mistakes.
  • -example for german version: in the egypt campaign “tool age” is translated with ‘Werkzeugzeitalter’, this is a directly translation but wrong because in German the second age is named “Jungsteinzeit”. Please, let native speaker translate and write the german textes. Of course, this also applies to other languages.

technic updates

  • allow offline log ins to windows store to play the game offline. like in Origin and Steam
  • solve the issue you cannot start the game, nevertheless you are online in Xbox Live.

#38

hi, somebody has fix the game, it´s close when start a game in skirimish o mode history or multiplayer, open windows store and close the game, there is some help for this. i reinstall the game 4 times and the same result. restore the game and nothing, and install other gratuite game but always the same result the game it’s close when start a match


#39

Oh jesus, we’re now thursday (past the point of “early next week” in my book atleast) and here’s still not any update. What do I see instead? Some fucking local lan crap? Well, to no surprice judging from how these civilized primates prioritize.

This whole thing is becoming a comedy. Release game, unplayable for thousands of people, and instead of focusing on actually fixing shit that makes the game unplayable, they try to go the PR way and do some commercial events for something that’s not even working properly. Ha-ha-ha… You got me guys, you got me good.

I really hope theres some patch in the coming days so that I have to bite my tounge regarding this post… Really. I really, really, really, want to be upstaged on this post with some kind of update from dev side. But I’m pretty sure I’m not getting it.


#40

I think units getting stuck and laggggg are the most annoying troubles with this game.
Hope they fix it soon, or just fix it whenever -.-