Konnik micro feature

Like a great many things, I think this is an interesting idea in limited contexts, but not as a base change to the units. It would be frustrating to run out of arrows at an inconvenient time. BTW this is possible in the Editor, and I’ve created a scenario before with a trigger that tracks the number of projectiles created, and prevents you from firing again after a certain point, unless you resupply. Definitely a fun idea in that context.

Oh no, I think is a terrible idea, I used it as a bad example. I wanted to ilustrate how looks the actual konnik mechanic: A half way between a flat stats’s tweaking to differenciate of generic roleplay (knights-line) and a usable mechanic that gives you the possibility of change the course of a battle (proposed toggle mechanic). A lost of potential.

By the way, interesting the resupply mechanic. Imo, that one would be a good new mechanic for a new archer UU, super strong but limited by the ammo.

Honestly i would not like the civ to have a mechanic like that and would not like the civ to lose the dismounted unit. I like to send tons of konnik into halbs and destroy them. literally the whole reason its my favorite civ

1 Like

Questions about your new Konnik with the dismount toggle mechanic

Will the mounted and dismounted share the same hp pool, or get each a separate one?
When they mounted or dismounted, are they targetable in his animation?
When will the states switch? After or before the animation?

2 Likes

Ok, tastes are tastes. I’m not speaking about tastes. Anyway, Did you try out Byzantines?

Good questions, thanks.

1. I think The HP is the big issue with this mechanic. I firstly proposed that both, mounted and dismounted units share the same HP pool and damage is converted proportionally. This mean, if mounted unit recieve 10 damage and have 110 HP, when you toggle to dismounted (which have 45 hp) its recive 4, and viseversa.

With current dismounted konnik’s HP it results in awkward situations, like vs Camels, because fighting with dismounted konnik ou negate the camel’s bonus vs cav, but still take damage*2.45 resulting in the same damage. But as the dismounted hp isn’t bounded to the “2nd life” mechanic can, and should be buffed.

2. I my opinion they should be targetable during the animation. I really don’t know if the engine can do it. If not, maybe a cooldown between toggles will be mandatory to avoid abuses.

3. After the animation.

1 Like

Well in AoE 3 you have that mechanics with some units of the last dlc…

Of course, as before… it would go from being a cavalry unit to only infantry and the horse would disappear and viceversa, when it went from infantry to cavalry, it would make the animation of riding a horse…

Of course that would be the idea…

What are the stats of that unit in AoE3?
Is it good?
I think it could be a good addition to AoE2 but not for the Konnik (don’t touch mai boi)

more questions

must they stand for the Switch or does it also go in movement?
how long does the Animation go ?

sorry for asking such detailed questions. i like the general idea and wonder if this would be an upgrade or downgrade for the konnik.
second life vs dismount and mount mechanics

I think they should stand while transitioning. Is the risk player have to take. Witjout that easly could become exploitable.
The time is the value to tweak. I think it should be enough to give the enemy the oportunity to react and not too much to make it annoying to own player or not have a really gap of time to make worth it.
Maybe between 3-6 secs…

It should work as a little nerf for those who ignore the mechanic and use it as a generic cavalry, in which case you should go for kts instead. And a nice buffing for those who learn how and when use the ability.

Here they are:

The Mounted Infantry is a ranged heavy cavalry unit available in the Commerce Age. Compared with other ranged cavalry units, the Mounted Infantry is cheaper, has less attack, movement speed, and hit points, but has a multiplier against infantry units, which makes it similar to the Spanish Lancer in terms of attack. As the Mounted Infantry does not have the light cavalry tag, it does not take additional damage from Skirmisher-type units, but is vulnerable to units with multipliers against cavalry, like the Pikeman or Dragoons.

A unique feature of the Mounted Infantry is the ability to dismount its horse to become a Skirmisher. In this mode, it moves slower, but has a larger range and Line of Sight, and the attack causes extra damage against Heavy infantry and Light cavalry units. In the Dismounted and Mounted mode, it is vulnerable against melee cavalry units due to the low hit points and lack of melee resistance.

The Mounted Infantry benefits from the Scout Promotion, which increases maximum range and movement speed for each defeated enemy military unit. Specifically, the Mounted Infantry gets +1 range and +5% speed for the first defeated unit; +2 range and +10% speed for the second defeated unit; +3 range and +15% speed for the third defeated unit. These stats can be higher with Home City Cards or upgrades that benefit cavalry and Skirmisher-type units, but these will not affect the unit in both modes. Therefore, researching Ranged Cavalry Caracole will benefit its range only in Mounted mode.

Training

Trained at

Trading post aoe3de.png Trading Post or Inca tambo.png Tambo on a House of Habsburg palace
Native embassy DE icon.png Native Embassy

Food

Coin

Training time

30 seconds

Training limit

11 per House of Habsburg palace

Statistics

Hit points

Resists

15% vs. Ranged

Speed

6.25 (Mounted)
4.25 (Dismounted)

Line of Sight

18 (Mounted)
22 (Dismounted)

XP train bounty

XP bounty

Melee attack

Damage

4.6 (Trample mode)

Multipliers

×3.0 vs Infantry (Mounted)
×2.75 vs. Heavy infantry (Dismounted)
×2.0 vs Light cavalry and Ranged Shock Infantry (Dismounted)
×0.75 vs Cavalry and Coyote Runner (Dismounted)

Area of Effect

3 (Trample mode)

Rate of Fire

2.0 (Trample mode)

Ranged attack

Damage

Multipliers

×2.0 vs Infantry (Mounted)
Same as melee (Dismounted)

Range

12 (Mounted)
19 (Dismounted)

Rate of Fire

Siege attack

Damage

Range

Rate of Fire

The Cossack Daredevil is an outlaw with fast speed but low attack, which is compensated with its faster Rate of Fire. Unlike other melee cavalry units, it has multipliers against heavy cavalry and Shock infantry. The Cossack Daredevil has the ability to dismount its horse to become an infantry unit similar to the Musketeer, reducing its speed and ranged resistance for a ranged attack, melee resistance, and additional attack against heavy cavalry and Shock Infantry.

Like other Outlaws, Cossack Daredevils are more useful in the Commerce Age and become weaker as the game progresses, due to being outclassed by upgraded standard cavalry, heavy ranged infantry, and mercenaries.

Training

Trained at

Tavern icon de.png Tavern (Europeans)
Monastery aoe3de.png Monastery (Asians)

Coin

Training time

35 seconds(Mounted)
33 seconds (Dismounted)

Statistics

Hit points

Resists

20% vs. Ranged (Mounted)
20% vs. Melee (Dismounted)

Speed

7 (Mounted)
4.5 (Dismounted)

Line of Sight

16 (Mounted)
12 (Dismounted)

Population

XP train bounty

XP bounty

Melee attack

Damage

17 (Mounted)
14 (Dismounted)

Multipliers

×1.25 vs. Heavy cavalry (Mounted)
×1.15 vs. Coyote Runner (Mounted)
×2.0 vs. Cavalry (Dismounted)
×1.6 vs. Shock Infantry (Dismounted)

Area of Effect

3 (Trample mode)

Rate of Fire

2.0 (Trample mode)

Ranged attack

Damage

22 (Dismounted)

Range

12 (Dismounted)

Rate of Fire

2.0 (Dismounted)

Siege attack

Damage

Range

Rate of Fire

The Highwayman is an outlaw effective against cavalry. It is similar to the Ruyter, having a reduced attack but slightly more hit points and speed. Like other outlaws, it costs only coin and takes more population spaces. It has the ability to dismount its horse to become an infantry unit similar to the Musketeer, reducing its speed for ranged resistance and a higher melee attack against cavalry.

As an outlaw, it is more useful in the Commerce Age and becomes weaker as the game progresses, due to being outclassed by upgraded standard light cavalry, heavy ranged infantry, and mercenaries.

Training

Trained at

Tavern icon de.png Tavern (Europeans)
Monastery aoe3de.png Monastery (Asians)

Coin

110 (Dismounted)

Training time

40 seconds

Statistics

Hit points

Resists

20% vs. Melee (Mounted)
20% vs. Ranged (Dismounted)

Speed

7.5 (Mounted)
4.25 (Dismounted)

Line of Sight

Population

XP train bounty

XP bounty

Melee attack

Damage

6 (Mounted)
12 (Dismounted)

Multipliers

×3.0 vs Hand cavalry (Mounted)
×2.2 vs. Hand shock infantry (Mounted)
×2.0 vs. Artillery (Mounted)
×2.0 vs. Cavalry (Dismounted)
×1.6 vs. Shock Infantry (Dismounted)

Rate of Fire

Ranged attack

Damage

Multipliers

×3.0 vs Hand cavalry (Mounted)
×2.2 vs. Hand shock infantry (Mounted)
×2.0 vs. Artillery (Mounted)
×0.5 vs. Villager (Mounted)

Range

Rate of Fire

3.0 (Mounted)
1.3 (Dismounted)

Siege attack

Damage

10 (Mounted)
20 (Dismounted)

Range

Rate of Fire

I like the idea - the alternative is for the dismounted version to start with 90% hp and when healed remounts.
But I certainly like your idea better.

1 Like

biz cool but they are expensive