Korean wood discount still ugly

The wood discount is pretty terrible on (non-siege) land units though - you’d hardly miss it if it was gone. It’s basically a naval bonus with a token effect on land.

What I dislike most about this is just the weird way they decided to break the wood bonus up such that it’s always going to be basically useless on land maps. Portos get a global gold discount, Incas get a global food and stone discount, but for some reason they drew the line at siege for the Korean wood discount. Cheaper siege wasn’t going to solve all their problems, but it would have made the land component of the bonus at least somewhat impactful, and would have given their mangonel-line some identity before late Imperial.

Anyway, they’ve gone another way with it, but I think the negligibility of the land aspect ought to be addressed. By scaling it like the Inca bonus - 20/25/30 (remove Shipwright), and/or combining it with another effect. E.G. Non-siege wood units -15/20/25% wood cost and training time (also remove Shipwright). Or just replace it with something else.

I do like this one a lot. Then again, I’m pretty biased, because I also suggested something similar here, although tied to the UT:

It could probably be +2 or 3, but that seems excessive as a free bonus (unless it scales with Age).
I have other ideas, but I’m leaning towards posting them in the other thread. I just wish there was an ongoing official thread for each civ (balance, strats, etc) instead of all these scattershot threads with their repeat discussions, yet that each only represent a piece or two of all the relevant conversation.

6 Likes