Let's talk about Italy

Germans don’t need a total overhaul, they just need to be rebranded as Austria. A wholly new Prussia civ with state age ups could function how you describe without the baggage of a rework.

1 Like

But this will make many aoe3 pros uncomfortable I guess. A large part of them play Germany as their main civ. It would be very challenging if the developers decided to introduce a new system while still retaining all the classic German play style.

i agree, no matter how fan service it is, I don’t understand why have artist units

1 Like

If they are true pro they will adapt and not complain because the game is getting better, wanting to keep the status quo, becuase they don’t want to lose their primacy over everyone else isn’t much of a pro imho…
Otherwise M00Z1LLA idea could also be a solution

2 Likes

I’m afraid drastic overhauls like that are way too much to ask when factoring in there’s no financial incentive to do so. The fact we’re getting tweaks to the Euro civs is a miracle. I wish the age ups were more rewarding too.

Three studios have all had their hand in this game has been a detriment, FE can only do so much after 17 years.

AoEIII pro players are a prickly bunch, aren’t they? especially compared to the AoEII ones.

1 Like

as the leader, they could put someone unexpected as in the case of Mexico. There are many characters that could fit, from pontiffs, kings, generals (like Garibaldi), etc…

i agree, germans r the worst-designed civ.

1 Like

I think we need to ignore the top players. Who cares about what they think? If it were up to them they would keep the Germans bland and unchanged forever lest it affect their win percentage. They can adapt to any changes made. I’ve seen how whiny some of them get when they lose to newer civs.

4 Likes

Se son unos lloricas, la idea es que se experimenten cosas nuevas, no quedarse estancado en un mismo punto, es por eso que el age of empires IV se quedo demasiado conservador y muy centrado en el competitivo que en el jugador solitario.

2 Likes

When I said modern age, I was talking about the historiographical term that refers from the fall of Constantinople/Columbus voyages to the French Revolution. (Edit: to be fair XIX century falls after the modern age, but is also under the game timeline)

So yeah, a lot of them fall under that early time, but still inside.

And when I spoke about artist, I was thinking about techs and cards, not a unit :upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I see, that was a language thing by me, i apologize

The game roughly start around 1500, so it makes sense to include them. Both because the pavise shield was still largely used in European warfare, and because a ton of other civs have crossbowmen.

Papal guards are basically swiss pikes, so it’s quite easy to just give them a buffed and renamed version of them.

Why? They could be the them of a series of HC shipments, or some techs.

Italians city states stayed important even after the discovery of America, even if they weren’t powerful as the late imperial Britain.

I mean, at Lepanto Venice was able to gather an army comparable to the kingdom of Spain, and was able to go toe to toe with the ottomans until napoleon.

The renaissance shouldn’t be just ignored, a lot of civs like Spain, Portugal, the ottomans focus a l’on on their early days in their colonial empire.

The renaissance could be a way to give them a strong age 2, then a below average age 3, and a strong age 4 with the kingdom of Italy.

I know that italian city states remained important, but they weren’t the same as during the ranaissance either, i might have worded it in a bad way, i still think that they would be extremely important and a nice addition, just not too much focused on the renaissance only or mostly…

No of course, only the age 1 and 2 should be setted during the renaissance.

Then the age 3 should be focused around 1600/1700, since there would have still be important conflicts. The wars between Venice and the ottomans are an example. But to reflect the fact that they weren’t as important, they should be a bit below average.

Then the age 4 should focused on and unified Italy