Let's talk about music

One of the most important but overlooked aspects of game aesthetics is music. Especially for historic games, music can make or break the game immersion. We have not heard any of the in game music samples, but here are some thoughts:

1. Each culture has its own unique musical history. For example, music in England in 1066 is different than music in the Abbasid caliphate in 800 and Ming dynasty etc.

• We have different units/buildings and costumes for each culture. Their in game music should reflect this cultural difference.

2. We have some information about musical instruments and performance practices of these different cultures. Especially Western early music

• No, we don’t exactly know what music sounded like in 800 CE wherever, but we have some idea. The music doesn’t have to - and shoudn’t - be an exact museum reproduction. However, it should be inspired by the instruments and aesthetics of the period. One example of this working really well in another game series is Total War: Attila. We don’t know what music of the East Roman or Sassanid Empire sounded like, but as you move from West to East there is a clear distinction between the aesthetics of each region and culture, and some attempt was made to understand and reflect these differences. In contrast, Empire Total War was neither inspired by the period nor had much cultural distinction. Everything felt the same and broke immersion.

• This concept is also just an extension of the starting music in Aoe2. Each civ has a different little tune at the beginning that is faction specific that fades out. Would be nice to build on that concept

3. This is probably too late to change at this point but, at least some info on music design would be nice in a fan preview.

5 Likes

Yes! Absolutely. I would love to hear unique musical themes for each civ derived from their respective cultures. How was that not suggested earlier?

I guess we assumed it’s going to be like that.

2 Likes

The music should just be great not historically accurate, stop trying to make everything historically accurate.

3 Likes

Unless it’s a treaty game or a diplomacy game, no one is going to notice there is music at all but yes, music is important, I spend a big part of my day just listening to music so I do care about the music.

1 Like

Nowadays, one important point is often neglected by devs about music :

[…]

We have to expect in the near future even more platforms flagging content for audio copyrights. I really hope that they would make AoE IV streaming,online video sharing and social media platform more “friendly” this time.

Faction-specific music would be nice, in fact, it’s kind of common in many RTS games.

4 Likes

Soundtrack is a very important element, and adds so much to the experience when well done. The same way, if it’s extremely simplistic or average, or doesn’t fit at all, it can even sabotage the experience.

That said, some funky reinterpretation or remake from a couple iconic AoE II tracks would be an awesome easter egg.

2 Likes

I really hope they made great music for the game. I really liked for example Heroes of Might and Magic 4 music. I listened to it a couple months ago and man the nostalgy wow. It basically makes you feel the game and the atmosphere.

1 Like

we need this guys for mongols

3 Likes

Yeah the hu is so funny for me. Would be good in the game.

Fallen Order is a great game - The Hu appearing just made it even greater.

But…! Nothing can beat OOOOHHHHMAAAAYEEEEEMAAAA.

Would be nice if the music would be appropriate to the culture and that it would progress and get more complex the further you are in the Ages, similar to how Civilization VI does it.

3 Likes

We know (it’s a really old “leak” from one of the member’s interview in Chinese) they used Tengger Cavalry for AoE4. The band that also did the Mongolian themes for Civ 6.

@Szaladon
That is already confirmed to be the case:

“Similarly, the music starts as a stripped-down score with only a few instruments, evolving throughout the game to be a full orchestra as your civilization advances.”

5 Likes

I forgot, thanks for reminding me. I’m excited to try out AOE4 to see how it compares to AOE2. The only downside I see so far is the lack of American and African options in regards to civs.

3 Likes

I’d imagine this comes out similarly to how Civ6 does its music, which tbh I quite appreciate. If you havent already, find some examples of how civ6 starts with a simple melodic harmony and slowly builds it throughout your session so that it reflects your technological advancement, much like how it was described re finishing with a full orchestra etc.

1 Like

They are conquering with music. I would like to show you Italian gesture for your music taste

1 Like

From an old article:

2 Likes

I’m confused. You made a thread about byzantines having walls that can only destroyed by cannons for historical accuracy but you have an issue with musical themes specific for each civ? :smiley:
I find it a great idea. We see it very often actually in historical games.

1 Like

Music should just be great, that’s all it should be, nothing else matters.

1 Like