Let's talk about the upcoming Balance Changes

CIVILIZATION BALANCE

General

• Villagers now move 10% faster in the Tool Age. The Wheel technology now grants a +50% speed boost (was +60%) to maintain the same maximum speed.
  • Warships and Slingers no longer deal a minimum of 1 damage to buildings. This reduces the damage dealt by Slingers against normal buildings and by Scout Ships against walls and towers.
  • Decreased the maximum search radius of Priests to prevent them from fixating on and following distant injured units.
  • Predator animals will no longer break off their attack if you try to drop a building on them.
  • Cataphract: Now have +20 hp , +1 armor, and +2 attack vs. infantry (for a total of 7).
  • Cataphract: Reduced the gold cost of the upgrade from 750 to 600 gold . The food cost is unchanged.
  • Domestication: Reduced the food cost to research the technology from 200 to 150 food . The wood cost is unchanged.
  • Heavy Cavalry: Now have +1 attack vs. infantry (for a total of 6).
  • Helepolis: Increased the fire rate by 5% (still slower than that in the original game).
  • Scout: Increased cost from 80 to 90 food . This is still lower than the 100 food cost in the original game.
  • Scout: Reduced line of sight by 1 .
  • Scythe Chariot: Reduced armor from 2 to 1 .
  • Scythe Chariot: Increased the upgrade cost from 1200 wood, 800 gold to 1400 wood, 1000 gold .
  • Scythe Chariot: Increased the time to research the unit from 150 to 200 seconds .
  • Chariot units no longer deal bonus damage to Priests.
  • Reduced the conversion resistance of all Chariot units from 8x to 2x that of normal units.
  • Siegecraft: Reduced the attack bonus granted to Villagers vs. towers and walls by ~50%.
  • Slinger: Increased the training time from 28 to 35 seconds .
  • Slinger: Reduced damage dealt to walls and towers by ~50%.
  • Towers: Increased the hp of all towers: Watch Tower (+25 hp), Sentry Tower (+35 hp), Guard Tower (+40 hp), Ballista Tower (+40 hp).

Several units and technologies have had attributes adjusted to match their original game values:

• Bowman: Increased the training time from 26 to 30 seconds .
  • Coinage: Increased the amount of bonus gold yielded from nodes from +10% to +25% .
  • Camel Rider: Reduced training time from 32 to 30 seconds .
  • Elephant Archer: Reduced attack damage from 6 to 5 .

Babylonians

• New Civilization Bonus! Market technologies are 30% cheaper to research.
  • Decreased the bonus hp of walls and towers from +75% to +60% hp .

Carthaginians

• New Civilization Bonus! Carthaginians now start the game with +50 of each resource.

Choson

• New Civilization Bonus! Storage Pit technologies are 40% cheaper to research.

Egyptians

• New Civilization Bonus! Farms are 20% cheaper to build; they now cost 60 wood instead of 75 wood .

Greek

• New Civilization Bonus! Town Centers work 10% faster stating in the Tool Age. This affects both Villager creation and aging up.
  • Now have access to the Fire Galley naval unit.

Hittites

• Rather than having +3 range at all times, Hittite warships now have +2 range in the Tool Age and +3 range in the Bronze and Iron Age.

Macedonians

• Rather than having +2 pierce armor at all times, Macedonian Academy units now have +1 pierce armor in the Bronze Age and +2 pierce armor in the Iron Age.

Palmyrans

• Increased the civilization starting food bonus from +50 to +75 food .
  • Now have access to the Plow technology.

Persians

• Increased the movement speed of Persian Elephant units from +20% to + 25% that of other elephants.
  • Now have access to the Plow technology.

Romans

• Reduced the civilization discount to Tower costs from -50% to -40% .

Shang

• Reduced the civilization bonus to Wall hp from +75% to +60% hp .

Yamato

• Reduced the civilization discount to Cavalry unit costs from -20% to -15% .
  • Reduced the civilization bonus to Ship hp from +25% to +20% hp .
1 Like

Maybe unpopular but why the Cataphract is getting more and more buffs? yes they are too expensive to get (Reason why they get the upgrade reduced in gold cost), but with all upgrades they are comparable to the AOE2 Paladins with mobility, attack and Resistance, and also it would doom probably the civs that lack good cavarly counters.

From a design persepctive it totally destroys the whole concept of the Chariot units, reducing the conversion resistance is fine, but removing their bonus against Priests is not good, Both Chariots and Chariot Archers remained as the best and cost-effective units against the top Priest civs (Babylonians, Egyptians and Choson), now the civilizations that have chariots will struggle a bit to defend agaist those civs.

The reason why the Elephant Archer in AOE1 remains the opposite to the same unit of AOE2 is because of their stats, and nerfing their attack will totally weak a lot the civs that depends in this unit at late game (Especially in DM).

Franky a unit with pretty much weak attack and long training times is not a good idea.

This one should be reduced to 20%, the reason is because Choson have the second best Legions in the game, and Legions are a very cost-effective unit in the Iron Age (Reason why the whole cost of the swordsmen should be increased to 45F and 25G), and Choson have overall pretty good Late-Game units like Helepolis and Cataphracts,and add their discounted Fully upgraded Priests, and to ease the upgrades in that regard is literally crazy.

This should be carefully wached because Egyptians could be too good boomers, to the point that could be unstoppable in a Post-Iron age matches and when the food is running out, also they already have a good eco bonus with their gold miners, and the best chariots.

Is nice to see that Greeks finally get some love in termos of gameplay, but overall Greeks are pretty much limited in the Iron age in terms of military options and flexibility, and also lack a good early game and are completely prone to early agressions, I would suggest to make the new Town center bonus like the Persians of aoe2 (10%/15%/20% faster in Tool/Bronze/Iron Age and why not? extending it to docks), I don’t remember exaclty if they get Slingers or not but their Slingers could receive some bonus like increased HP, attack or something, this would make them better prepared to early agression and, particulary, archer rushes.
Be careful when you give to this civ the infamous fire galley, with their fast movement speed players could abuse of this unit too much, and the fire galley is supposed to be reserved to civilizations that lack the catapult trirreme, and the one of the reeks is among the best.

Nice way to adjust this bonus, but from a historical perspective, the Diadochi (Which is the supposed umbrella of the Macedonians) made extensive use of armored elephants, so giving the bonus to their Elephants could give to the Macedonians the theme of the Slow but armored and unstoppable Iron force (Like the Teutons of AOE2) (also would be on par with the HP bonus of the Cartaghinians), and to reincorce this, removing the Heavy Horse Archer and giving to them the Eelpahnt Archer with this bonus would be very appealing to this civ.

I think this will hurt a lot the Yamato in some cases, and taking the example of the Berbers of AOE2, the bonus could be 15%/20%/25% cheaper in the Tool/Bronze/Iron Age.

The main things to take away here:
-Tool aggression nerf
-Late game gold civ buff
-Collision change(Scythe , Catapult, and WE/AE nerf)
-Scythe nerf
-EA nerf
-More economically diverse civilisations
-Catapract buff
-Priest buff

Things that were not addressed:
-Weak towers
-Mace cents
Weaker tool aggression
Vils can run away from axe, bow and sling now. Sling and Bow train longer while scout is more expensive. Slings worse at breaking in.
-> More fast brz plays, more all in scout rushes, less defensive slingers and bows, maybe more 2 rax proxies

Gold civ buffs
More gold on map, more gold from coinage, weaker scythe, stronger iron cav, stronger priest, weaker EA
->Even games last longer, Lessens need for trade in team games, Gold civ timer extended a good 50-100%

**Collision change **
Unit stacking removed
-> Nerf scythe, catapult, melee eles, catapult triremes, ships in general, to smaller extent all ranged units
->buff cents, walls, to smaller extent all melee units
-> Centurions best melee units again, legions better than scythe, catapults vs archers more consistent, cant stack melee units to break walls

Scythe nerf
Longer research time, less armour, no more stacking
-> legions much better than scythe, iron cav better than scythe, generally a much worse unit now and with more gold on map, truly the last choice option for non egypt civs.

EA nerf
Less damage, No stacking
-Lose to Iron cav now, lose even worse vs cents, lose to heavy horse archer, still win vs ballista and helepolis, lose bad against legion, maybe win vs scythe?
-> make horse archer or compies

Cataphract buff
Hp, armour, dam vs inf, cheaper upg
->win vs legs now?, Solid choice against heavy horse on closed maps, really good against scythe now, good vs war elephants too, maybe even armoured eles?

Priest buff
Meh whatever, mace still has immunity

Weak towers still
Towers got HP when they needed damage
-> Even more annoying tower pushes, still can’t defend your eco with towers

Mace cents still a problem
No more stacking for AE and now even more gold on map, still resistant to conversion
-> Even harder domination over land lategame

All in all
Seems to favour mostly defensive, greedy play into brz followed by mass eco and units
-> more all ins early, less middle game orientation, more late game focus

Seems like a lot of good ideas and hunting for their right execution. Meta will tell if all games become proxy or brz.

2 Likes

lol greek no good at iron???

Theyare making the chariots useless and the cavalry line just op. I dont know why they are doing it but I dont think it is going to work.

Also the towers need more attack because they dont work as defensive buildings to stop the raiding enemy units.

guys cavarly line is not going op at all. At the moment cataphracts die vs almost all iron age units. They should not die if evenly matched vs Sythe Chariots, Legions & Heavy Horse Archers which is not the case. Keep in mind they are super expensive unit and requires lot of upgrades.

I am ok with most changes.

However, I’m not so excited about the tool war impacts.

The villagers walking faster at tool age could make rushing even less effective. (But again, I did not test, but that’s my biggest worry at the moment)

Also, the slingers being nerfed, I wonder how weak that would make them. Right now, they were the best way to destroy a wall during tool age. Will that become too hard to walk through a double wall now? Are people just going to play boom games?

The game was fun because of its progressive wars through the ages. I don’t like AOE2 because games take forever, and every player end up going to Imperial Age, attacked or not… so it kinda becomes a race to the imperial age, while AOE 1 can just be a straight-forward war, and it can end on tool age if you’re not good enough to handle the battle.

1 Like

I don’t get why this nerf, they already nerfed their discount on buildings (15% → 10%), why on towers too?

Nice changes overall; the Greeks in particular needed additional bonuses. I guess 10% is a modest improvement that makes nice balance sense, and ties quite a bit to Greek civic emphasis generally, so it’s a nice historical touch too. I would have expected the Babylonian market technology bonus to go to the Sumerians on historical grounds, but I guess gameplay wise it makes them nicely rounded, though still a turtle civ. 30% is quite strong though, and might need nerfing to 20% later perhaps.

Not sure how I feel about the slinger changes though; it makes slinger rushes nigh unviable now.

Let’s talk about it, i will use the order posted in news post.

===================================================
small note:

I have played over 10.000+ age of empires 1 games over the years.
Original AoE 1 back in 1997 had a pop 50 limit (higher pop only came later), so many of original game balance was done to work with pop 50.
Patch 1.0a, 1.0b and 1.0c as well as Rise of Rome made the game a lot more balanced back in time.

In AoE DE game is even more civ balanced. Now after 2 years+ of it release and a few patches here and there, expert players had time to test what units-civs are op or not. The balance changes will try to make the game even more balanced. Of course its always hard to make perfect balance any Age of Empires games with so many races, even AoM with just a few is very hard. Hopefully devs will still listen to the players in future and adjust any op-weak civ-unit.

Also we need get in mind that some civs are played very diferent from one to other, some civs are nice to rush ( like persian ), some other civs are stronger in iron ( like Macedonian ), some civs are good to defend ( like Babylonian ) etc. That’s one of the best part of Age of games. Its not only about fast clicking and building order, strategy matters a lot.

===================================================

1) * New unit stances are available—similar to those in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition .

*** Aggressive (Default)**
*** Defensive**
*** Stand Ground**
*** No Attack**

I think its a nice addition without change the core game, players will have better control of military units. Curious how top players will use it.

2) A new Mirror Civilization option is available in multiplayer lobbies

Great addition, specially for 1x1 games, at moment some times civs are very uneven, like if you play random map and random civ and civ match is minoan vs palmy. Its optional as well.

3) Added a new Solid Farms (Legacy) setting. When enabled, farms act as solid buildings (like the original game) that block movement until the farm is destroyed.

Its optional as well.
DE players and players from Age 2 are used to walkable farms so i dont think they will make any use of it.
But i know why devs added this option. Currently there are more than 100.000 active AoE 1 players in Vietnam and China. They still play the classic version with 1 specific setting. So it makes sense to attract those players to DE.

4) * New hotkeys have been added to support the following actions:

*** Select all buildings of the same type (Ctrl + Shift + key)**
*** Select all idle villagers [Ctrl + Shift + .]**
*** Select all military units [Ctrl + Shift + ,]**
*** Delete all selected units [Shift + Delete]**
*** Reset zoom to default level (100%) [Ctrl + Alt + 0]**

The more the hotkeys the better. Personally i think it will affect more the DM players, good for them.

5) Multiplayer changes

All changes were nice. Only 2 ladders now ( 1x1 and Team Game). Hopefully the changes and bug fixes will correct the rating system and rated games. It will make teams more fair and help players from noobs to experts to find other players from same level. Loved the new chat shortcuts.

Spectators can now see player resources and the global queue for each player by using the number keys (1-8). - nice improvement from current version. Still hope some day in future it will be possibile to spectate 4x4 games. Im not sure if it will be possible to spectate rated games, hopefully it will.

6) Units will no longer be created from blocked buildings that have no valid space for the unit to spawn.

Now its possible to wall up enemy buildings safely.

7) Military units will no longer lose their collision boxes or stack/merge together when grouped closely or forced into a tight space.

it will be a nerf for ranged units against melee units but i think it will help archers against catapults. I think DM players will like it.

8) Increased the maximum zoom threshold in multiplayer to match that of single player.

As zoom is optional, i think its nice. Players will adjust the zoom the way they want to. I hope devs can add an option to pick zoom % level in game setting, so players dont need to adjust it every game.

9) Villagers now move 10% faster in the Tool Age. The Wheel technology now grants a +50% speed boost (was +60%) to maintain the same maximum speed.

Personally i like it, as we cant garrison units in aoe 1, its very hard to run from tool units, i think it will make players play more strategicly.

10) Warships and Slingers no longer deal a minimum of 1 damage to buildings. This reduces the damage dealt by Slingers against normal buildings and by Scout Ships against walls and towers.

i will just copy aoe_scout (game dev) from discord, it explains perfectly.

“This change doesn’t affect any bonuses and there were no actual hidden bonuses, it’s all about minimum damage. All buildings (including walls and towers) reduce all attacks against them 5 times (they have something like special building armor, attack/5). But in the game, melee units are set to always have at least 1 damage against buildings. That’s why even the Clubman (with 3 attack) deals exactly 1 damage (instead of 0,6 damage). Ranged units are the exception, they can deal less than one damage per hit, like what Bowmen do. Slingers and warships were not added to these exceptions for ranged units, so they still dealt 1 damage like melee units, which is more than the intended. Scout Ship has 5 attack, so exactly 1 damage against normal buildings - this is fine (unaffected/unchanged). But towers and walls have additional pierce armor (unlike other buildings), this means Scout Ship should deal less than 1 damage against them because of the pierce armor. That was not the case - Scout Ships still dealt 1 damage and this is fixed in the patch. The Slinger bonus damage vs walls and towers is something separate, that was also changed in the patch, but that’s a different matter (see the list of changes). This change is about Slinger damage vs normal buildings, which is now 0.4 (2/5) or 0.6 with Stone Mining (3/5), which should have been the case from the beginning. So Slingers vs normal buildings and Scout Ships vs walls/towers are affected by this change.”

11) Cataphract: Now have +20 hp , +1 armor, and +2 attack vs. infantry (for a total of 7).

Cataphract is one of the less used units in iron age, so of course it needed a buff. I just hope it will not be too op now, lol .

12) Helepolis: Increased the fire rate by 5% (still slower than that in the original game).

Yes, i think Helepolis needed a small buff, for some civs its the only counter for macedonian centurions. DM games will be more affected.

13) * Scout: Increased cost from 80 to 90 food . This is still lower than the 100 food cost in the original game.
*** Scout: Reduced line of sight by 1 .**

I think it will be scout more balanced, specially now that slinger was nerfed.

14) * Scythe Chariot: Reduced armor from 2 to 1 .
*** Scythe Chariot: Increased the upgrade cost from 1200 wood, 800 gold to 1400 wood, 1000 gold .**
*** Scythe Chariot: Increased the time to research the unit from 150 to 200 seconds .**

In fact, scythe was too strong for a non gold unit. Still not sure if the nerf was too much. I think it will be still very strong, maybe not in very early iron like now, but in mid iron games.]

15) * Chariot units no longer deal bonus damage to Priests.
*** Reduced the conversion resistance of all Chariot units from 8x to 2x that of normal units.**

Priests are expensive, slow and have weak HP. So i think the chariot attack bonus was unfair. I think the x2 resistence and no gold cost will still make them a natural counter to priests.

16) Siegecraft: Reduced the attack bonus granted to Villagers vs. towers and walls by ~50%.

A direct buff to towers, specially with the increased tower hp, ive not seen many players using villagers to kill towers and walls in DE anyways. Overall we will see more towers in games.

17) * Slinger: Increased the training time from 28 to 35 seconds .
*** Slinger: Reduced damage dealt to walls and towers by ~50%.**

I loved it. Currently slinger is too good and limit the number of strategies, specially in 1x1 games. I hope we will see more tool units variations, axe, bowman, scouts, slinger, towers.

18) Bowman: Increased the training time from 26 to 30 seconds .

As all tool units but axes were nerfed, axes had an indirect buff. I think axe rush will become more popular, followed by bm defense and then mixed with slinger.

19) Coinage: Increased the amount of bonus gold yielded from nodes from +10% to +25% .

As some civs are almost useles without gold, it will buff those civs. Map control will be even more important. It will help defensive players in early game but will favor agressive players in mid-late game.

20) Camel Rider: Reduced training time from 32 to 30 seconds .

A small buff to camel riders, maybe we will see more camels in early bronze, unlike chariot units, they dont need wheel to be produced.

21) Elephant Archer: Reduced attack damage from 6 to 5 .

I think its the most controversial balance change of this patch. Before AoE DE, it was rare to produce ele archers, unless you were phoenician or persian. Im not sure if it will nerf ele archer too much. Maybe a HP nerf would work better ?

22) Babylonians

*** New Civilization Bonus! Market technologies are 30% cheaper to research.**
*** Decreased the bonus hp of walls and towers from +75% to +60% hp .**

Cheaper farm upgrades, wheel, woodcut etc will fit well baby defensive-slow boom style.

23) Carthaginians

*** New Civilization Bonus! Carthaginians now start the game with +50 of each resource.**

Currently carth is one of the weakest civs in early game. Its a BIG buff to carth! It will make them an unique civ in early game, a new building order.

24) Choson

*** New Civilization Bonus! Storage Pit technologies are 40% cheaper to research.**

Choson is an ultra strong iron age civ. It will make a direct buff to sword man and make cho stronger in earlier ages.

25) Egyptians

*** New Civilization Bonus! Farms are 20% cheaper to build; they now cost 60 wood instead of 75 wood .**

Scythe nerf and Ele archer nerf were big nerfs to Egyptian. Farm bonus will make egy one of the strongest bronze age civs.

26) Greek

*** New Civilization Bonus! Town Centers work 10% faster stating in the Tool Age. This affects both Villager creation and aging up.**
*** Now have access to the Fire Galley naval unit.**

Just like choson, greek is an iron age civ. Very strong in iron but not so strong in tool and bronze. The 10% TC bonus will help a lot.

About Fire galley, i think if they are added to greek, they shouldnt get the faster ships bonus, it will be impossible to outmicro.

27) Hittites

*** Rather than having +3 range at all times, Hittite warships now have +2 range in the Tool Age and +3 range in the Bronze and Iron Age.**

Fair fix. +3 range is too much for tool age.

28) Macedonians

*** Rather than having +2 pierce armor at all times, Macedonian Academy units now have +1 pierce armor in the Bronze Age and +2 pierce armor in the Iron Age.**

Macedonians are ok in tool age because of extra LOS to vills and infantary. They also very strong in iron. I liked this change, hoplites were too strong.

29) Palmyrans

*** Increased the civilization starting food bonus from +50 to +75 food .**
*** Now have access to the Plow technology.**

a small buff, but will help a lot Palmy early game.

30) Persians

*** Increased the movement speed of Persian Elephant units from +20% to + 25% that of other elephants.**
*** Now have access to the Plow technology.**

The -1 ele archer attack was an indirect nerf to Persian. I hope this buff will mitigate the nerf for persian. Cataphract will also be a viable choice for Persian.

31) Romans

*** Reduced the civilization discount to Tower costs from -50% to -40% .**

I think its ok because towers had a decent HP buff.

32) Shang

*** Reduced the civilization bonus to Wall hp from +75% to +60% hp .**

meh !!

33) Yamato

*** Reduced the civilization discount to Cavalry unit costs from -20% to -15% .**
*** Reduced the civilization bonus to Ship hp from +25% to +20% hp .**

Still a very strong civ in all ages. I think they reduced cavalary cost bonus because of Cataphract buff ( an indirect buff to yamato).

34) Maps now guarantee that one straggler tree spawns near the Town Center of each player on all maps. Additional straggler trees are random, as before.

I love how random aoe maps are, but some times it can be very unfair. Some times you have a map with no TC tree and it makes some maps very unfair. I like the guaranteed 1 tree, i still think 2 trees would be better :slight_smile:

35) Maps changes:

I agree with all changes made in Conti, Island and Oasis. I wish we had team island in DE. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You’re right about a lot of things. Nevertheless, I think that elephant units in AoE:DE are overpowered. It’s just a matter of going as fast as possible into the last time and spamming elephants. This is actually quite lame. The game actually offers enough alternatives for that.

That’s why I’m in favour of doubling the price, while reducing the HP.

1 Like

So taking a look at the interciv balance it will shift around quite a bit.

Assyrian
Tool: Their villagers can outrun enemy military, this is a huge buff. Along with slinger nerf they are now a top tier tool civ. Axe/Scout rush with them will be so, so good.
Bronze: Their CA now solidly beats Mace hops. Otherwise, not a big change for them.
Iron: Better iron cav, better helepolis, scythe nerf all together makes them a bit stronger. They’re still not great, no alchemy, no nobility, no heavy horse, no shield upgrades. Probably more legion siege games incoming.

Babylonian
Tool: Slinger change makes their walls oh so good. Cheaper market upgrades combined with stone bonus means they are a top tier slinger civ, but no wood bonus means they lag behind Roman and Phoenician
Bronze: The cheaper market upgrades are so, so good for brz plays. Now with stronger walls. Oh yes. Epic. A bronze powerhouse.
Iron: They were never good. They are even worse now with scythe nerfed. Towers + siege/priest. But now instead of good eco you have great eco. Gonna be boring as â– â– â– â–  and for sure hated to play against.

Carthaginian
Tool: Best early game bonus in the game. No matter what you do, it just works. A dock start is actually viable now. Amazing. Absolutely brilliant.
Bronze: It’s still great. Now with more gold and stone. Can’t go wrong with this. Slight help for camels too.
Iron: Cents just got better and carth has great ones. But the ele archers got a big, big nerf. Also stacking hurts melee eles. It’s a mixed feeling.

Choson
Tool: This is really strong. Axers got a massive indirect buff against all tool army and there’s cheaper pit upgrades? It’s an all you can eat buffet.
Bronze: Towers are slightly better and pit still matters. Easier cav to sword transition.
Iron: Better iron cav, better towers, a bit better helepolis, a decent uplift in performance. A bit faster leg timing due to cheaper metallurgy.

Egyptian
Tool: Farms, Farms, Farms. Walls and farms. Too bad patch is more geared towards run and hide play. Still bad.
Bronze: Yes. Yes. Yes. Cheaper farms are massive. Cheaper domestication. Just Chariots and farms. Simply great.
Iron: Well, this sucks. Your army mainstay all got nerfed. Scythe and Elephant Archer. I guess it’s time to add priest to the mix and lament when someone makes towers or walls that everyone hates you. Just make more scythe and EA now.

Greek
Tool: meh. still a bad civ. the bonus only helps in prolonged tool wars with safe town and food.
Bronze: This is good. 16 seconds faster bronze time and a better vil pump while going double stable. 20 minutes. 4 villager lead by 20 minutes with just building units. It’s not big but it’s there.
Iron: Fast fire ships are here. Roasted sailors for everybody! Greek fire for the greeks, finally. Hittites beware. Oh yeah, they’re even better on land due to better boom. And cents got better. Really good times ahead.

Hittite
Tool: Slingers got nerfed, thus Hittite is much better. Not great but better. Navy not as end all be all as before.
Bronze: Okay. Still best CA. Still best navy.
Iron: EA nerf just means you go HA instead. Still best iron in the game.

Macedonian
Tool: Best proxy civ by far now since you can consistently avoid lions. You’re either lucky or Macedonian if you pull it off.
Brz: Hops lose to CA now. Who cares. Just make compies or cav.
Iron: Cents just got better oooh yeah. More gold too. It’s good to be Macedonian these days.

Palmyran
Tool: 4 vils at the start now. If it weren’t for that sick Carth bonus I’d favour Palmy over all on Food rich maps.
Brz: Better start-> faster brz. Already the fastest Brz in the game, with a bit better camel production. Solid stuff. Love them.
Iron: Plow baby! Nerf to AE and scythe though. I guess we’ll see more and more Heavy horse games. Sigh

Persian
Tool: All-in scout rushes just got indirectly nerfed and Persia does them fast. Just saying.
Brz: Second fastest Brz civ. Now with easier brz. Also more gold. Not bad.
Iron: Plow! Also faster eles. But worse EA and nerfed stacking. Cataphracts baby. Someone prove me wrong and spam AE, not HHA and cats.

Roman
Tool: No double tower anymore. Also others got buffed and proxies harder. But a better straggler means pits on 2 strags every game.
Bronze: Still strong eco but I would pick other civs now.
Iron: Roman legs every game. Every. Game. Greek does everything else better except super late game scythe. Not a thing I expected to say in Age one!

Shang
Tool: It’s shang. With better walls now. And more impactful scout rushes.
Bronze: It’s shang with better walls.
Iron: Better cataphracts, mmmmm, juicy.

Yamato
Tool: Best tool civ. Vils outrun axers and you have best scout rush. Amazing. Best boats still.
Bronze: Still a great bronze civ. One of the best. More gold is great.
Iron: Better cataphracts for the best cav civ. Less 50 pop Horse archer plays but cataphracts buff outweighs this.

EA nerf is questionable. So is Choson pit but whatever. Assy needs something for iron. Towers need +1 damage.

Otherwise? Good job.

4 Likes

I agree with most changes made. EA nerf is questionable tho.

I’m personally fine with the changes. I’ll have to test the game when they apply, but from the outside, they look fine.

I definitely hated how strong were Chariots against Conversion. Now that shouldn’t be an issue. Trust me when I tell you that they were extremely overpowered in that matter. I literraly surrounded Priests with walls, and it took forever to convert them. Like… One minute or so, which is too much waiting time. In reality, cavalry units don’t need ONE BLOODY MINUTE to reach old guys that can barely move.

I think Assyria could use some kind of buff. Since in history they were quite skilled in siege, I think they could have a civ bonus like 10-20% faster siege movement speed.

3 Likes

Nice! It would be cool to have this or something similar implemented for historical accuracy :slight_smile:

Don’t you also think that Shang should have another bonus?
Shang has only 2 bonuses, and one of them is the same one that Babylonians have but not applied to towers.

I thought of something simple, like a better line of sight for buildings, since they are a defensive civ.

1 Like

Since Shang gets only wall bonus I would still keep it as +75% HP. I think every civ should get at least 3 bonus since there is no unique unit they should have more bonuses which make each civilization unique.

1 Like

I think the reduction in the Roman towers is an unneeded change. The Romans only get Sentry towers anyway, so this change is poor.

1 Like

But Romans are not the only ones with only Sentry Towers. In this respect the change is fair.