Logistica Cataphract Looks Useless Now

For example, flank 1 goes tower rush, poicket byz, flank 2 drops a tc on enemy flank and then pocket. If you can get your byz pocket to have a more or less clean boom, the cheap imp should mean your pocket reaches imp way, way before the other side pocket can. Use the power spike for killing blow. E.g. Arbs

Sorry but byz boom into fimp is slower than eg franks, mayans, chinese vikings, malay, teutons

And they have bad eco so the spam of whatever you make (most likely arbs, but pot also HCA) is underwhealming in comparison.
And who makes arbs from pocket?

If you manage to make the game sufficiently messy, Arbs are enough to close out the game :slight_smile:

Sorry but I don’t see that with byz, byz isn’t a TG powerhouse. If anything you could try to play flank with it. But maybe still the worst of all “reasonable” flank civs.

It isn’t about having a roster of amazing post-imp stuff. It’s just about exploiting the power-spike you get from cheap imp. But I agree, it’s possible to fit other civs into this role.

It’s a weird role tbh. Because it is a gameplan which can be destroyed easily by eg koreans pocket with war wagons. You don’t even get a chance to reach imp if this happens.
And it demands from the other teammemebers to sacrifice their potential, they need to weather the enemy storm without help from the byz player
 I don’t see it working, actually. It’s just not possible in a TG to have like a “lategame carry” civ which doesn’t helps the teammembers out until that powerspike. It’s a theoretical concept that just wouldn’t stand any chance in any competitive setting.

Indeed :slight_smile: Plan isn’t without its own risks and disadvantages. As it should be in an RTS game. The less “make one unit to kill all” there is, the better/more fun (in my opinion).

I am pretty sure others have done similar things at high level, but probably with other civ compositions.

Yes, that’s right, maybe my wording with more-or-less wasn’t clear. Adjust the strategy as needed, call in on pocket help earlier when needed. But generally, the pocket should still get to imp faster.

1 Like

Maybe it worked out as this in the actual game, but planning a team game like this as the only winning scenario is
 Just a terrible idea.

Edit: BTW i looked into the stats and it looks indeed like byz are the worst TG civ currently. I think this would justify rethinking if we could do something to improve their TG potential. And Monks healing faster isn’t a good TG bonus TBH.

Sure. I usually have to have weird ideas, because some of my team members aren’t so good with micro or other skills. So I try to create plans that adjusts for skill level differences as much as possible :slight_smile:

I have a TB idea. But it might be OP and better used as a normal civ bonus instead
 but faster repairing defenses could be a nice one (faster repair only on walls, towers, gates, and castles)

I like the bonus Idea, but I think it wouldn’t fit byz.
It could also turn out to be OP in competitive but kinda trash for everything below, as repairing under pressure is one of the hardest skils to execute, especially in teamgames with always archer + knights pressuring at once.

MAybe the building bonus could work instead. I also don’t think it would be OP, just compensating for the byz player lacking an eco behind his archers.

Thematically, a defensive civ being able to repair defensive structures faster
 It should fit thematically. The Byzantines did actually have to do a lot of repairing historically, e.g. when the walls around Constantinople suffered from earthquakes.

Faster built defenses would definitely be OP as a TB, without a doubt.

I meant the extra HP on buildings. Maybe just the first 10 % for all team members or the 20 % from feudal.

This would absolutely be OP, especially with Byzantines.

it does fit thematically, but Byzantine buildings are already a nightmare to take down, even with siege, imagine if they were repaired faster on top of it.

Just to remind you how terrible byz are in TG:

look at their arabia stat
 holy ■■■■
 43 % in TEAM GAMES!

oh i agree thy need help but their buildings are already a nightmare to fight.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. The idea was thankfully just a brainstorm :slight_smile: I think Byz are more or less okay, but just very hard to play because you need to abandon the meta if you want to make use of this civ’s utility. (because in a straight meta matchup, everything they do is generic or worse)

But which bonus to chose? I don’t want to rebrand byz just because they suck in TG, cause in 1v1 they are actually a very unique civ, which is also somewhat fairly well balanced.

So my approach would be to use one of the civ bonusses as team bonus instead to just close that gap.

I guess cheaper camels would be the only semi-useful TG bonus, but then, it’s rare that you need more than 1 civ with camels, and cheaper imp would probably not be something that anyone wants as TG bonus

Yeah unlikely to have more than 1 camel civ. And potentially could be exploited with indians as pocket and byz as flank

The cheaper trash could be an option, this would potentially challenge the current knight/archer meta in teamgames. But potentially also only in certain situations whith certain team members - potentially also situationally OP with some various bonusses some other civs get to their trash. I think it’s very high risk to make this a team bonus.
But it could be interesting to play with it, finally breaking the TG meta
 could be fun.