Low life cheaters ruined FFA for me

You’d think that for an old game there would be more mature behavior here but I guess not.

If you want to team up with a friend, that’s fine with me. You can do 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 2v2v2(v2). But apparently there are many weak players who think they’re very smart by creating a FFA game and then once the game starts they team up with a friend, while everyone else struggles solo fighting all the neighbours. This is the same group of people who think they’re very smart if IRL they engage in bribe or other criminal activities because according to them only stupid people live their life in a fair manner. In other words, they’re low life scum. In games, this is called cheating. In real life, it’s called crime. That’s how it is. You lie that you’re going to fight solo vs all others, you deceive others who all agree to certain rules of play, and then you break it all just so you can win in a computer game. A computer game. With no ranking system. No loot chests. Really? Seems like morality is cheap.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, then these same players start bragging about “crushing” you alone (even though they were ganging up on you), and throwing various insults like 12yr old kids. Obviously, cheating comes with a certain pervasive mentality.

So now I’m unfortunately forced to give up on FFA, which is kinda sad because it’s an otherwise enjoyable game mode especially in a game without rankings.

names pls

@“teutonic tanks” said:
names pls

I don’t know if it’s allowed by forum rules but whatever…

Referendum1987 (host)
Mrrrrr13 (who also spent half of the game typing insults and boasting how he crushed me, even though most of my losses were actually to Referendum)

Seems like you’ll have to up your diplomacy game. Free for all does allow not attacking everybody at the same time after all.

Sore winners (people who feel the need to complain about how everyone is against them and you’re a lamer for attacking his gold miners or call people names etc while they’re winning) are never fun to play against. But are these two people being allies in a free for all game really enough to ruin the entire game mode for you? If so I’m afraid it’s probably not something about which a lot can be done, it is the lawless waste of free for all after all.

@“Pan Calvus” said:
But are these two people being allies in a free for all game really enough to ruin the entire game mode for you?

Of course. I avoid places where scum goes to, or where they can do whatever they want. I am not playing a diplomacy game, I’m playing free-for-all war game. You make it sound like once the game starts everyone starts negotiating for treaties and if I don’t do that it’s my fault. There are indeed games like that, but this isn’t one of them.

It’s interesting how always blue and red are allied, or how if I check their xbox friends list oh look at that, they know each other.

it is the lawless waste of free for all after all.

Nothing to do with that. In normal mode, say 2v2, I can also just go to my ally and wall up his town center, or wall up his lumberjacks. But that’s lame. I can also join “noob/beginner” game and attack poor newbies with 15 slingers before they click Tool Age button. And people do that. I’ve seen it. Not only that, I’ve seen non-newbies (not good, but not noob either) joining “noob” game, doing Bronze Age rush and then insulting poor newbies because of their bad gameplay. I mean, really? It says “noob” game - you know they will spend at least 30min playing SimCity. You don’t need to type insults in the chat. And it wasn’t even an insult towards a team member who made you lose, but insult towards enemy you just overran. It’s ridiculous.

Now, of course I don’t expect everyone to act perfectly, but come on, your solution is to “up my diplomacy”? Really? Yea, I can do that. I can team up with someone on my friends list. But come on, how fair is that to other people who will be solo? What chance do they have? Or should they also up their diplomacy? And what if they don’t speak English? I’m not here to play Facebook, aka Who Has Bigger Contact List Wins.

@JosephC64 said:

@“Pan Calvus” said:
But are these two people being allies in a free for all game really enough to ruin the entire game mode for you?

Of course. I avoid places where scum goes to, or where they can do whatever they want. I am not playing a diplomacy game, I’m playing free-for-all war game. You make it sound like once the game starts everyone starts negotiating for treaties and if I don’t do that it’s my fault. There are indeed games like that, but this isn’t one of them.

It’s interesting how always blue and red are allied, or how if I check their xbox friends list oh look at that, they know each other.

it is the lawless waste of free for all after all.

Nothing to do with that. In normal mode, say 2v2, I can also just go to my ally and wall up his town center, or wall up his lumberjacks. But that’s lame. I can also join “noob/beginner” game and attack poor newbies with 15 slingers before they click Tool Age button. And people do that. I’ve seen it. Not only that, I’ve seen non-newbies (not good, but not noob either) joining “noob” game, doing Bronze Age rush and then insulting poor newbies because of their bad gameplay. I mean, really? It says “noob” game - you know they will spend at least 30min playing SimCity. You don’t need to type insults in the chat. And it wasn’t even an insult towards a team member who made you lose, but insult towards enemy you just overran. It’s ridiculous.

Now, of course I don’t expect everyone to act perfectly, but come on, your solution is to “up my diplomacy”? Really? Yea, I can do that. I can team up with someone on my friends list. But come on, how fair is that to other people who will be solo? What chance do they have? Or should they also up their diplomacy? And what if they don’t speak English? I’m not here to play Facebook, aka Who Has Bigger Contact List Wins.

It sounds like you don’t quite understand how FFAs work. Diplomacy is a key part of any FFA game and if you ignore it, you will probably lose unless you are good enough to fight several people at the same time. People deciding alliances before the game is a bit unfair though. Ideally all of the diplomacy should be done during the game, but things like this are impossible to moderate.

People insulting other players is another matter entirely and something I very much dislike, but banning everyone who says bad things about others would not be good. Again, I don’t think there’s much that can be done in most cases. The internet is full of immature jerks and that’s something all of us will just have to learn to deal with it. Particularly bad cases of insulting or bullying should be kept in check, though, and if you see such cases, you should report it and the people doing that privately to the moderators. It is generally not good to post their usernames on the public forums.

The best solution to both these problems would be to find players who you know play fairly and only play with them.

Deciding on an alliance before a FFA game isn’t “a bit unfair”, it genuinely is cheating. If two people have decided they’re going to be allies then they play a 2v2, not a FFA.

If two people decide on an alliance before a game and then play a FFA game they’re not only cheating, they’re deceiving people.

But yeah, welcome to the world of online gaming. It’s full of cheaters, kids and general scumbags.

I don’t play FFA, but it sounds like you could just host the games yourself and keep a list of people that need kicking. If there are any serious shenanigans, call them on it politely, quit and re-host without them.