Make AoE4 a competitive game!

NOOOOOO PLEASE!!! I want my AOE game. I don’t want any thing but that. If you want a competitive game then have you remember AOE online?

@PunjabiSpartans said:
I find that if you make the game super competitive , you will lose a lot of the “casual” gamers.

look at league of legends, over 5 million active players and it’s probably the most competitive game with dota2 and cs:go

@PunjabiSpartans said:
I find that if you make the game super competitive , you will lose a lot of the “casual” gamers. “Overbalancing” this game would make it very generic and i’ve seen this through experience. I’ve played both competitively and casually - you lose all the fun when you’re competitively playing trying too out APM your opponent. It’s like with starcraft 2 - they tried to release a million balance patches for the competitive scene that it lost its “casual” gamer base which is greater than competitive player base and now the game is pretty much dead. I miss the generation where games were “Fun to play again” instead of trying to make it a E-sport thing. Don’t get me wrong, competitive play should be included, but not to the extent of what SC2 is.

AOE2 HD’s competitive play seems to be pretty good, and I think they should stick with that formula of game-play.

I don’t think AoE2’s slow early game and heavy macromanagement is that good for a modern casual market. Sc2 is actually a more casual friendly game, whilst it is still not particularly casual friendly compared to most other modern games… Both games have enough depth for a competetive scene.

AOE2 is both casual and competitive. It’s the “easy to learn, hard to master type”, so you can actually have both, but it’s very difficult to create it that way, I don’t think even the guys at Ensemble wanted to create it like that specifically, they just got really lucky, they hit just the right spot in balancing and gameplay.

@Mehkind said:
NOOOOOO PLEASE!!! I want my AOE game. I don’t want any thing but that. If you want a competitive game then have you remember AOE online?

Hello! we hope that aoe 4 is not exactly like AoE online!
AoE online has been a spin off that with the AoE series does not really center anything. The majority of the community did not really love it!

@CagierNebula24 said:
AOE4 needs to be a single player game. With a great campaign. And THEN multi-player added on.

AoE 4 must be a game especially from multiplayer! not single player game! Without multi, the game would lose longevity. And then, it’s not exactly the same thing to play against the AI ​​and against a real player. In AoE 2/3 at least for me, but I also think for many other experienced players, it was too easy to defeat more teams from the AI ​​even at difficult levels.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@CagierNebula24 said:
AOE4 needs to be a single player game. With a great campaign. And THEN multi-player added on.

AoE 4 must be a game especially from multiplayer! not single player game! Without multi, the game would lose longevity. And then, it’s not exactly the same thing to play against the AI ​​and against a real player. In AoE 2/3 at least for me, but I also think for many other experienced players, it was too easy to defeat more teams from the AI ​​even at difficult levels.

If you haven’t seen, people still play AOE 2. It stood its test of time not because it had multiplayer, but because a strong skirmish and a strong single player game. Just because you see a multiplayer matches in YouTube doesn’t mean AOE 2 lasted because of only the multiplayer. I have played skirmish all this time and never got bored. Even if they have not announced a new AOE, I would still be playing AOE 2 and 3 for however many years I have left to live.

Furthermore, AOE online wasn’t spinoff, it was exactly that, an AOE online for the people who wanted a multiplayer only game. And you saw the business model and the catastrophe it followed.

@IamDalv said:
AOE2 is both casual and competitive. It’s the “easy to learn, hard to master type”, so you can actually have both, but it’s very difficult to create it that way, I don’t think even the guys at Ensemble wanted to create it like that specifically, they just got really lucky, they hit just the right spot in balancing and gameplay.

Yep, the game’s designer in 2013 (forgot the year) GDC said multiplayer was an after thought. They did same thing in AOE wheras in AOE 2 more features being added and refined. They wanted a stronger campaign and skirmish mode then a multiplayer portion so friends can play each other. He explained that game felt balanced in a multiplayer mode because they took a reverse approach. That is not to balance the units from a multiplayer point of view but a extremely harder AI vs a human player view i.e. skirmish.

@Chusik said:

@PunjabiSpartans said:
I find that if you make the game super competitive , you will lose a lot of the “casual” gamers.

look at league of legends, over 5 million active players and it’s probably the most competitive game with dota2 and cs:go

First, League of legends is F2P then pay if you want game. Second, they had advantage of time, meaning they launched a game when other mobas of that time were pay first then pay as you go. Third, if a company makes billions of dollars, they gonna market and clear off the competition, they did that. So no, if you want to change the formula for AOE, you are in a poor luck because AOE community has many older players who will boycott a online multiplayer centric game.

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@CagierNebula24 said:

If you haven’t seen, people still play AOE 2. It stood its test of time not because it had multiplayer, but because a strong skirmish and a strong single player game. Just because you see a multiplayer matches in YouTube doesn’t mean AOE 2 lasted because of only the multiplayer. I have played skirmish all this time and never got bored. Even if they have not announced a new AOE, I would still be playing AOE 2 and 3 for however many years I have left to live.

Furthermore, AOE online wasn’t spinoff, it was exactly that, an AOE online for the people who wanted a multiplayer only game. And you saw the business model and the catastrophe it followed.

yes, people still play a lot on age of empire 2, but they are not the games on you tube to let you know how many players are playing in multyplayer.
I talk about not many years ago, there were a lot of multyplayer games! you just need to get into the game and see the rooms full of players looking for muliplayer games.
If you have never played in multyplayer, you’ve lost a completely different way of playing.
With all due respect for age of empires 3, today’s multyplayer was not played out when twc and tad expansions came out. At that time the game was played very much multyplayer!

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

Yep, the game’s designer in 2013 (forgot the year) GDC said multiplayer was an after thought. They did same thing in AOE wheras in AOE 2 more features being added and refined. They wanted a stronger campaign and skirmish mode then a multiplayer portion so friends can play each other. He explained that game felt balanced in a multiplayer mode because they took a reverse approach. That is not to balance the units from a multiplayer point of view but a extremely harder AI vs a human player view i.e. skirmish.

it has been good to have introduced the multyplayer in age of empires 2. Remember that playing games at a time was not as easy as today! or rather, not all people were even able to do so (people in the world).
The multyplayer is a major breakthrough in any game! Measuring with real players is always different to measure with the IA. The multypalyer from longevity to the game, and it definitely makes you stronger.

@Chusik said:

@PunjabiSpartans said:

Free to play games with microtransactions and bunch of endless market items. Without mention the toxic community that F2P games carries.

In my opinión, I don’t like those games at all. But games are business too.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

it has been good to have introduced the multyplayer in age of empires 2. Remember that playing games at a time was not as easy as today! or rather, not all people were even able to do so (people in the world).
The multyplayer is a major breakthrough in any game! Measuring with real players is always different to measure with the IA. The multypalyer from longevity to the game, and it definitely makes you stronger.

I see some of your points. However a bad single player game which has a tied multiplayer won’t sell in the first place. For example, in just alone in RTS genre, many later titles in c&c, COH 2, DOW 3, later Supreme Commanders, to name a few. Whereas, even if a game doesn’t have a campaign, let alone has a good single player mode: skirmish mode, like in Ashes of Singularity, game sells. So, it is Single player > Multiplayer.

Let’s argue the longevity, there are single player only games which are still being played with an active modding community. These are old games. Icewindale, Baulders gate, Fall out new vegas, Fall out 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and Witcher 3(will be played), Half life 1, Half life 2, KOTR, bioshock, Deus Ex, Dishonered, Planscape torment. I hope you don’t want the whole list.

Lastly AOE 2 survived because of mods which community still shares. Major mods where some of the best ones were created by die hard fans which now called the Forgotten Empires…they saved the game after the Closure of Ensemble Studios. Age of Empires has a lot of older players and trust me, many of us never have touched the multiplayer because the scenario editor is so damn rich you can create any thing. Multiplayer was created for friends to play. Those who play in multiplayer in a competitive setting tweak a lot of setting before jumping into a match.

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

I see some of your points. However a bad single player game which has a tied multiplayer won’t sell in the first place. For example, in just alone in RTS genre, many later titles in c&c, COH 2, DOW 3, later Supreme Commanders, to name a few. Whereas, even if a game doesn’t have a campaign, let alone has a good single player mode: skirmish mode, like in Ashes of Singularity, game sells. So, it is Single player > Multiplayer.

Let’s argue the longevity, there are single player only games which are still being played with an active modding community. These are old games. Icewindale, Baulders gate, Fall out new vegas, Fall out 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and Witcher 3(will be played), Half life 1, Half life 2, KOTR, bioshock, Deus Ex, Dishonered, Planscape torment. I hope you don’t want the whole list.

Lastly AOE 2 survived because of mods which community still shares. Major mods where some of the best ones were created by die hard fans which now called the Forgotten Empires…they saved the game after the Closure of Ensemble Studios. Age of Empires has a lot of older players and trust me, many of us never have touched the multiplayer because the scenario editor is so **** rich you can create any thing. Multiplayer was created for friends to play. Those who play in multiplayer in a competitive setting tweak a lot of setting before jumping into a match.

talking about a good single palyer mode (skirmish etc) and not having the multyplayer, there are 2 different things.
A game can have the best single palyer mode, but if it misses multylayer mode it’s like a man without a leg!
The multyplayer will surely cooperate with many friends, but many play it to be competitive and not to speak of the power of E-sport.
Have you ever tried playing multyplayers?
in AoE franchises, playing multyplayers does not mean playing with only friends you know, but above all, and even playing against you do not know! Rooms hosted by players are not all private, most of them are open to everyone, and people wants to win against those who do not know!
Watch the total war series: I can assure you that in multyplayer rooms, most games are open and not private!
The same thing I played years ago in the AoE2 and AoE3 multyplayers.
The single player is very nice, but the multyplayer is something else … you should try.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

Lastly AOE 2 survived because of mods which community still shares. Major mods where some of the best ones were created by die hard fans which now called the Forgotten Empires…they saved the game after the Closure of Ensemble Studios. Age of Empires has a lot of older players and trust me, many of us never have touched the multiplayer because the scenario editor is so **** rich you can create any thing. Multiplayer was created for friends to play. Those who play in multiplayer in a competitive setting tweak a lot of setting before jumping into a match.

talking about a good single palyer mode (skirmish etc) and not having the multyplayer, there are 2 different things.
A game can have the best single palyer mode, but if it misses multylayer mode it’s like a man without a leg!
The multyplayer will surely cooperate with many friends, but many play it to be competitive and not to speak of the power of E-sport.
in AoE franchises, playing multyplayers does not mean playing with only friends you know, but above all, and even playing against you do not know! Rooms hosted by players are not all private, most of them are open to everyone, and people wants to win against those who do not know!
Watch the total war series: I can assure you that in multyplayer rooms, most games are open and not private!
The single player is very nice, but the multyplayer is something else … you should try.

Correction: I have played multiplayer many times but I hardly ever enjoy that mode. And I respect those who play it and enjoy it.

So I am arguing for AOE being strictly a multiplayer or a title with esport features. AOE is not a competitive/esport title. It is a classic RTS and its need to remain this way. As I have said earlier, long time players won’t play a messed up game. AOE formula is unique and Relic needs to preserve that. And I frankly don’t give F about esports. And my friends who have played AOE for all this time don’t give F about esports either. You’ve got this commentators with hairstyles who don’t know a thing about gaming, sit there totally exaggerating stuff and taking over the par and trying to make as if this is the most exciting thing in this world. And what’s up with those hair styles? I don’t think any game should be made for an esport. Games should be made for people who enjoys the game and it is fun to play. Developers needs to listen long time fans of the game. Sorry if I have offended you. I don’t believe Relic can deliver can deliver both a single player and a multiplayer title today. They used to make good RTSs but they weren’t no where near AOE type. You guys want to change the formula, I am confident next AOE will be ruined.

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

Correction: I have played multiplayer many times. I am arguing for AOE being strictly a multiplayer or a title with esport features. I frankly don’t give F about esports. I don’t believe Relic can deliver can deliver a single player and a multiplayer title. You guys want to change the formula, I am confident next AOE will be ruined.

They need to nail both multiplayer and singleplayer aspects. Although, I am on the fence on whether Relic can deliver a great product. Their track record does not inspire confidence.

Microsoft should allow Relic to take their time in developing a polished product. I don’t care if I need to wait a couple of years. Make it good on both fronts please!

Also LAN should be an option too. Screw the Millennial online only bullcrap. We need couch LAN back again.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

Edit:
I have played multiplayer many times, its not for me and I respect those who play multiplayer mode only.

So I am arguing for AOE being strictly a multiplayer focused or a title with esport features. AOE is not an esport tilte, its a classical RTS and it must remain this way. If you want to have tournaments with what you have got, I am okay. But don’t change the core gameplay in order to favor multiplayer/esport crowd. I frankly don’t give F about esports. And people I know in AOE community and friends who played for all their lives don’t give a F about esports either. What you have is these commentators in hairstyles who don’t know a thing about gaming, sit there commentating as if they have saw the best moves, and totally exaggerating everything just over the top and makes it sound everything as if it is so exciting thing in the world for however many hours they getting paid for. What’s a power of esport, nothing. They have messed up other genre of games like FPS and mainly RTSs they all play like MOBS now. What’s up with those hairstyles anyways? I am sorry if I have offended you in any ways. I don’t want any game to be an esport title I want a game to be fun to play, and developers needs to listen more to fans of game . Also I don’t believe Relic can deliver can deliver a both single player and a multiplayer title. They used to be good with their older titles but now they are not good, and they have not created a classical RTS. You guys want to change the formula, I am confident next AOE will be ruined.

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

Edit:
I have played multiplayer many times, its not for me and I respect those who play multiplayer mode only.

So I am arguing for AOE being strictly a multiplayer focused or a title with esport features. AOE is not an esport tilte, its a classical RTS and it must remain this way. If you want to have tournaments with what you have got, I am okay. But don’t change the core gameplay in order to favor multiplayer/esport crowd. I frankly don’t give F about esports. And people I know in AOE community and friends who played for all their lives don’t give a F about esports either. What you have is these commentators in hairstyles who don’t know a thing about gaming, sit there commentating as if they have saw the best moves, and totally exaggerating everything just over the top and makes it sound everything as if it is so exciting thing in the world for however many hours they getting paid for. What’s a power of esport, nothing. They have messed up other genre of games like FPS and mainly RTSs they all play like MOBS now. What’s up with those hairstyles anyways? I am sorry if I have offended you in any ways. I don’t want any game to be an esport title I want a game to be fun to play, and developers needs to listen more to fans of game . Also I don’t believe Relic can deliver can deliver a both single player and a multiplayer title. They used to be good with their older titles but now they are not good, and they have not created a classical RTS. You guys want to change the formula, I am confident next AOE will be ruined.

maybe I was wrong: the next AoE should not aim at being an E-sport. This is what I think: the next AoE (as well as AoE 1-2-3) must have a robust single player player mode, but no less multyplayer, especially multyplayer!
And I’m sure that Relic will both do. You have not offended, we are just discussing.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Mehkind said:

@IamDalv said:

Edit:

maybe I was wrong: the next AoE should not aim at being an E-sport. This is what I think: the next AoE (as well as AoE 1-2-3) must have a robust single player player mode, but no less multyplayer, especially multyplayer!
And I’m sure that Relic will both do. You have not offended, we are just discussing.

Thank you for understanding. I am not against a proposal of single player and multiplayer. What I am against is a game with favoring one type of gamer. This is not an Ensemble philosophy. They were the passionate guys, who knew what gamers wanted from them. Relic have failed many times recently, even after what Relic fans want from Relic games. Nonetheless, I have my fingers crossed on AOE 4.

We must be confident about the relic boys. For too long we expect a 4th chapter of the AoE series … we hope for the best !!