Make the matchmaking requirement Higher

Not to mention … those of us who you want to boot out who you consider to be “frustrating” are just trying to play the game too.

1 Like

If you knew how it worked you wouldn’t think it was workable to boot a significant portion of the community out of matchmaking.

And, seriously? I’m “playing the victim” after you painted a target on me by insulting people who can’t hold down a job? It makes no sense to insult somebody and then act like it’s their problem.

This is kind of getting out of hand. And I have to say @NiceNDry it getting out of hand is due to your toxic attitude. And that is a shame. It’s not like you don’t have a point.

I personally cannot judge how online play is getting influenced by one player have low FPS. I guess that it will (and emphasis on I guess). And for pure competitive gameplay that is no fun.

That being said, the game is still being optimized and @SciA hit it spot on: let’s wait a couple of patches down the road. For that matter, you are complaining @ReTuRnOfpRaCtIs does not know how it actually works and being rude about having a decent PC. There are 3000 euro builds out there who have worse performance than 500 euro ones. The game is not optimized yet. I’d say optimize the game first, and then think about matchmaking possibly based on the benchmark (which should get fixed as well; it is very inconsistent and at times outright broken).

Again, there’s certainly nothing wrong with demanding high standards for a butter smooth online experience. I feel ultimately players should be given a choice if they want to accept matches where the other player has low performance (not automatic exclusion, mind you!). But only if the game gets fully optimized, and if the criteria are fair, accurate and representative. Sounds reasonable, don’t you agree?

4 Likes

The AoE2 community is full of people with low end rigs … so if you want to play compettiive but you want to exclude a lot of the old time players who are on a lower income … then that doesn’t make much sense to say the least.

I agree with truefeel that at least giving people the option would make the most sense. At least let the people with lower end rigs play together.

It doesn’t make sense to make the standards so exclusive that we lose a big proportion of the community. I live in the UK … I’m poor by UK standards but there are plenty of people in other countries a lot poorer than myself who love aoe2! If I meet the minimum requirements and ALMOST meet the recommended ones … it makes no sense to boot me out of ranked play altogether just because I don’t get a constant 60 fps. What about all the players who run the game on an FPS lower than that?

Server-based is already harsher on people with low-end rigs than peer to peer is … there’s no need to take things even further. I think it’s already at a good compromise.

Competitive RTS isn’t just full of people with high-end rigs. The genre isn’t as graphically demanding as a lot of other game genres and for that reason it does attract a lot of people without the most amazing computer, too. This game is very nostalgic and full of people with computers much worse than my own. My computer isn’t even low-end per se! It’s faster than 60%of computers according to benchmark websites so it’s above average. It doesn’t need to get even harsher than it already is.

The devs do care about the performance for those with lower-end rigs and I’m glad of that.

3 Likes

And I know it’s a remaster but it’s still a remaster of a 20 year old game … so to make the requirements too high for ranked is really to just shoo away a big bunch of the playerbase.

If this was true, there would be no reason for the devs to implement any benchmark in the first place. Unfortunately, it isn’t true, which is why they did implement a benchmark.

Well, we were told that with peer to peer the faster machines all get slowed down to the lowest machine’s speed but with server-based only the slower machines get punished and they don’t slow down the faster machines. That’s what we were told. And when I look up the difference between server-based and peer to peer it says the same thing.

But one thing is clear … it’s one thing to implement a benchmark for ranked … it’s quite another thing to increase it after the fact. If you’ve already let a bunch of people in … it’s wrong to boot them out afterwards when they’re happy that they can play. Like I said … a lot of the AoE2 community has lower ends rigs … and the devs do care about those people being able to play.

It’s one thing to have a benchmark to prevent people who can’t run the game properly from being able to play. It’s quite another thing to let the people with lower end rigs in … because they can run the game but then booting them out by setting the standards higher so only people with faster computers can play.

You say that there wouldn’t be a benchmark test in the first place if it didn’t matter for some reason. That is true … but it’s also the case that they would have already set the benchmark standard a lot higher in the first place if they didn’t care about the people with lower-end pcs being able to play as well.

The benchmark does not only test FPS, it’s a performance test in general. That’s why they changed it to a score.

Furthermore it’s ridiculous to state that someone else’s FPS messes up his FPS. That statement is pure wrong and also the way he tries to make his point is wrong.

1 Like

Yes, the benchmark test is to make sure that you have a decent peformance if you’re going to play ranked … to prevent your PC crashing and stuff so it doesn’t mess up the ranked scores.

It’s completely incorrect by him to say that the higher end computer gets slowed down to the speed of the lower-end. Like I said, that isn’t the case anymore because DE isn’t peer to peer like the old game is.

He says I don’t know how it works and that I “look silly” … but it’s actually him that doesn’t know how it works. The benchmark is to prevent crashes and stuff to make sure that you can actually play it and if he is getting low FPS then it is his machine and not theirs. And, like I said, it means he’s ironically one of the people he has a problem with!

@ReTuRnOfpRaCtIs Ummm no i agree with every statement on affording pcs but you are wrong on low pcs not affecting performance, the game is affected when slow pcs cant run the game smoothly, the only front in which server based model changed is internet connection speed not affecting gameplaywhich is the massive problem of making a game were 50% of the current player base doesnt have that ability. At the moment if there are players who get pc lag it does affect all the players, which is what the clocks by the user names signal if it is not blue their pcs are affecting gameplay performance because if it didnt there would be even more desyncs then there are currently. It probably doesnt affect the fps directly but it does affect other noticeable things in game that look like fps like unit movement.

3 Likes

If you get too many PC issues it can lead to desyncs or crashes which I’ve acknowledged which is why there is a ranked benchmark test. And yes, indeed, it won’t actually make your FPS as low as theirs just because their PC is bad (we seem to agree on this as well).

It makes sense to set the standard to a level to avoid desyncs or crashes … but when you get high FPS and their low-end rig won’t affect that … it makes no sense to boot a bunch of people out of ranked who are already able to play and who aren’t slowing you down or desyncing.

1 Like

I was more just responding to this part as it is the part he can argue against
“It’s completely incorrect by him to say that the higher end computer gets slowed down to the speed of the lower-end. Like I said, that isn’t the case anymore because DE isn’t peer to peer like the old game is.”
Because at the moment that can and does happen for wierd reasons

1 Like

You think that higher FPS machines are slowed down by lower FPS machines?

I’ve made the point several times that even if that were the case it doesn’t change the fact that raising the requirements for ranked is a very bad idea.

Agreed i dont think the benchmark requirements should raise i was actually a proponent of lowering benchmarks requirements or at least stratifying the benchmark scores into 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4. Like i have said i agreed with you on every front except the pc not affecting it

I don’t see how others preformance effects you, never heard of that in any game.

Also now that game is no longer P2P, lag shouldn’t be issue.
So it’s either issue on your system/connection or the server side.

This has always been the case in all Age games released to date, as well as most other RTS games I know of.

1 Like

Oh that’s why, AOE is only RTS game I play.

@Legitti you were in the beta there were threads talking about pc performance affecting server game speed

1 Like

Again bad PC performance is not only due to low FPS. Reminds me of this taunt. :grinning: