Mamelukes

How can you manage to micro against Halbs with 3 range, 12 frame delay, meh accuracy against moving targets?

Also it costs 85gold, as a glasscannon

2 Likes

You don’t. You mix your army.

1 Like

It’s hard to mix the army with them being so expensive. I think they need to be good Vs inf and maybe no frame delay for them to be a good unit as well as gold cost reduction. I would have thought hussar and maybe camel should be ideal with them but it’s just countered too easily by halb. I think we could all hop on a low rating game and make them work but they are nowhere near useable right now in any decently ranked games.

If you cant micro with them, what’s the point of the range? they basically are just a camel rider that stacks better. If melee pathing wasn’t that awful their only advantage would be the higher base damage, while having much less HP and less anti cav damage.
Like seriously, they even train a second slower than camel riders and are produced from castles!
And the 12 frame delay is only for elite, the non elite has 24! In comparison, Cav archers which are already awkward to micro, and cant effectively micro against pikes without husbandry have a frame delay of 10. If they had the same frame delay as Mangudai and Camel Archers they would be useful, but like this? Meh, no fun to use.
I mean, sure if you compare them to the Mangudai they are much better vs skirms (deal melee damage and lack cav archer armor so take 2 damage less), and much better vs Cavalry (+12 damage), while also having 20 more base HP (50 more with zealotry, almost double of a mangudai). They have comparable damage (higher, but lower attack speed), but they have less than half the range, are not affected by ballistics . So on paper they don’t seem that weak, but their frame delay really kills them. It really brings the point forth of why even have range? It just makes them a pain to use and not fun to play.

1 Like

Who says you can’t? I say you don’t. You can micro them, but it’s easier to send some meatshield in front. But you can definitely micro Mamelukes

1 Like

I just tried it out once again in the scneario editor, and actually I think the stats for frame delay on the wiki are wrong. Non Elite Mamelukes feel like they have less frame delay than cav archers. More than Mangudai, but less than cav archers, although they are supposed to have 250% of their frame delay.

1 Like

Also a good pairing is mamelukes + siege onagers If you have the gold. The mamelukes kill everything that makes it through the so Bombardement, while still being far enough away to Not Catch friendly fire
But i agree that they could Use a slight Cost reduction and less frame delay.

1 Like