Map Making Contest For May 2022

This is the best place I know to ask this question, but how do I extend generated tree groups? I want to make a group of trees bigger but can’t find any way to do it.

My entry is Swimming Lanes - Mods - Age of Empires

Parallel sections of map divided by large, straight rivers including one section of rapids. Players start on one side of the map and most resources are far from the town center.

Known issues: If your friends start building crazy trade routes with a million boats that go backwards up the waterfalls, it starts using a lot of CPU and the audio stutters until the players with the weakest CPUs drop out of the game one by one until the person with the best rig is left (I swear this is what happened - it matched our load times perfectly.) Perhaps that’s a different kind of win condition?

2 Likes

The youtube video Adne posted helped me a lot because it boils it down to the simplest working use-case. You can use the advanced template to build out from there.

Hey there I have three maps that I want to submit by this post:

Guelders Mods Single - Age of Empires
Frisia Mods Single - Age of Empires
Holy Island Mods Single - Age of Empires

My maps also use the new yet bugged tt_relic_spawner, so there could be relic issues though I have only encountered it in Frisia so far.

Love to see this many entries, indicates that the modding community is growing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Adne8145 Your video definitely helps a lot and leads newbie like me to try modding! Thank you so much and hopefully more people could join modding

1 Like

@VertigoTwo and @Althanatoi94

Glad I could help and welcome to the mapping community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mea culpa: I hadn’t read all the fine print on the contest details and now I see that this is rated based on the 1v1 tiny map. My map technically works for that but it’s really best for 3v3 or 4v4 games. @AussieDrongoBBQ Could you have a follow up contest where you do team maps? Thank you for running this btw. Lots of fun and frustration (funstration?) but I was happy to at least get something working.

1 Like

My Entry: Twin Peaks

Just FYI, the above link has a different username because my forum name doesn’t match my AoE4 username.

2 Likes

My entry: Caldron

Map works on all sizes (kinda), holy sites and trade posts could spawn in some interesting positions so maybe it’s not perfectly balanced. But for my first mod i am quite proud :smiley:

2 Likes

My entry: Valley of the Gods

Map built specifically for micro size, mod has a different username because my forum name doesn’t match my AoE4 username but I can confirm with my account in game if I win anything.

2 Likes

My entry: King of the Lake

2 Likes

My 2 maps:
Scandinavia
Golden Swamp

3 Likes

My entries:
Sacred Forest
The Hill Between Us

2 Likes

My Entries:

Lake Side
Downstream
Connection
Iron Isles

Only sharing the links as it seems like the format everyone uses, but if possible I would love to share some thoughts about some interesting functionalities / intentions about the maps that are not always caught on first sight (Most noteworthy: Passable rivers in both Connection and Downstream).

GLHF everyone! Super excited for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

My last min entry:

Spotted Forest

2 Likes

Not long to go! An hour left!

2 Likes

2nd map, slightly unfinished

River Valley

1 Like

btw wasn’t 00:00GMT may 17th 24 hours ago? not that I don’t want my second submission to count lol.

00:00 is complicated as we are using 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 for time only. Technically there is 24:00:00 but its ignored as its equal to 00:00.
So the submissions ended few minutes ago… as the ending time was 17.5.2022 at 23:59:59

ah, yeah, I thought it was like 1 min before 00:01 GMT instead of 24:59 GMT. But I saw people submitting more maps so I decided to make a second one today lol. Your logic tracks I was just confused, I don’t use GMT all that often.

btw @AussieDrongoBBQ are you going to be livestreaming the judging process? Id love to see all the submitted maps in one video/livestream.