Math about the mangonel nerf

• Mangonel projectile area of effect radius reduced from 1.25 to 0.75 tiles

Radius: 1.25, A = 4.91
Radius: 0.75, A = 1.77

1.77/4.91 = 0.36
The new damage area is just 36% of the original, 64% nerf.

It doesn’t sounds right for me, seems the nerf is way too much…
If devs want a area nerf of 40%, the radius should be around 0.967

3 Likes

I believe increasing the population of a mangonel is the better way if the goal is to prevent “massing magonels”, instead of “building magonel at all”.

2 Likes

I am all for trying to limit the Age of Siege, but I am not convinced that this makes sense. The mangonel’s narrow area-of-effect will make it feel more like a slingshot or catapult instead of a mangonel. Is it possible to give the mangonel two different attack modes? A high damage but narrow area attack (one or two big rock/projectile) or a low damage spread attack (small rocks)?

Increasing the pop cap would make more sense - in Feudal or Castle age, you are not at your pop limit, but pop space will be at a premium in the late game.

It’s arbitrary how small or big the aoe of the mag “should” be; IMO let the data drive the future tweaks. No change is set in stone (look at the khan and camel archers which both lost buff recently gained).

Let’s see what this new mag does; also NOB have been ■■■■ yet ppl still make them.

1 Like

they should have made them “glass cannons” nerf the heath and speed a bit more NOT the damage!! But o well no more mangonels I guess. lol

1 Like

finally I can stop doing springs all the time and enjoy healthy games with some nice clashes of infantry in first lane, archers in the back and cavalry charging from the flanks … and rams at the front!

I think the nerf is overdone, and we’ll see balls of archers and/or crossbows lack a reliable counter. If that’s true, I’m hoping the devs reassess the approach to mangos. I’m already liking suggestions I’ve seen here and on reddit to leave mango damage and aoe alone but reduce health and/or speed and/or increase min firing range.

Increased min firing range in particular would make it harder to easily screen mangos with trash units while getting mango support fire. Then you have a potentially interesting mechanic of “do I screen within min firing range?” or “do I screen further out but have to cover my flanks with other units or risk a cav attack?”.

2 Likes

I am so overwhelmingly glad that Relic have changed the attack strength of mangonels rather than continuing to play with the health and speed of the unit. Making the mangonel ever more of a glass cannon was not the right way to go. Whether this goes too far remains to be seen, but at least it indicates Relic are serious about getting on top of this issue.

I’m not really sure any patch note could have so quickly restored my faith that I’ll have a future with this game. Just thinking about the effect of the nerf I think I would have preferred to see the damage reduced than the area effect reducted. This reduces the area by ~66%. A damage reduction of ~50% might have had a similar effect without losing what makes the unit unique.

1 Like

Most people in the forum said that mangonel are too strong before. Now they reacted to our claims and adjusted it. Happy to see that they hear our claims. I suggest let’s see first how this plays out in golden league and other games before say it is too much. A nerf is needed. Maybe it is too much. We will see.

2 Likes

One thing needed in the game is friendly fire for siege. It must be done to ended Age of Siege. It is ridiculous howe mangonels can shoot on their own infantry killing only enemies…

3 Likes