Max amount of players - stick to 8 or increase?

If 12 players can be supported on a map without significant performance impacts then thats what they should implement.

1 Like

I think 8 player maximum is the sensible option. Like others have said, it will be messy.

But… It really is not that hard to implement, is it? And if people want to play with 12 players in a game, then why deny them that right? Even though it will affect performance, a lot of people have decent PC’s. I know it will be a huge burden on smaller laptops/pcs, but there still are people who want to play. I vote 12 players for the reason: “Why not”.

This vision is prehistorical …

Please move to the NEXT GENERATION type of Multiplayer via enhanced Synchronization technology I called : " SWITCHABLE AVATAR technology". (a multiplayer new vision).

Allowing people to improve their level by playing side by side and switching control of civ during the game.
Allowing people to enter the game \ dyinamic joining, allowing NEVER ENDING GAMES (mode or just the game itself) in multiplayer.
Allowing super interesting join of the AI trend that is globally important so that Multiple humans can challenge AI or one Human can play against multiple AI or a Human can play against multipleplayers at one time.
Increasing the levels of interaction and communication between players and the chances of RTS,.
Influencing the whole rest of gaming industry and players that today (for a good reason: 1% is RTS gamers of the whole people playing games) toward a new type of interaction\multiplayer and fun sharing\ edutainment experience.

We need and can move to a whole new level thanks to cloud computing and also Ultra broad band (which I undertand is one of the Threats to this idea I propsed on Steam in AOE discussion forums).

Switchable Avatar Technology \enhanced synch is the future.

Age of Empires 3 had an option for 12 player limit, but for some reason it was never integrated into the game.

12 players would be a lag fest, but I would like to see it be an option for single player. You would need bigger map sizes for this to happen. I am all for an epic battle though.

You also got to take into consideration that not all people have good internet speeds. The people in Canada for instance have poor internet standards.

1 Like

It would make my day if they added an option for 16 players! I mainly play this game at network parties anyway (and have been since I was 7!), but half the people present always get left out due to only having 8 players max. Other strategy games like Warcraft and Battle for Middle Earth allow more players, so it only makes sense to at least match the competition on this drawback. It would also be cool if they added a disability % function like BFME to even games out.

8 is the right spot. AOE games run longer anyways.

@TheBritish said:
Age of Empires 3 had an option for 12 player limit, but for some reason it was never integrated into the game.

Leftover AoM code.

I like 8, but I think that teams should change to be more like the newer C&C games. (Except 4) I liked how in C&C you could have whatever teams/positions/difficulties in whatever order you wanted. This meant that you could play the game however you wanted. I think that AOE should have matches more like that.

5V5 sounds like a happy middle.

1 Like

I personally think the limit should be increased to 32 and the maximum number of teams should be increased to four or eight

1 Like

Gimme that 16 player Free for all MADNESS!!! or more but servers might cause problems with even more xD

2 Likes

It should increase, and to a MINIMUM of 9 people, this is to allow 3v3v3 games. And possibly add the possibility of a ninth slot being a computer for custom scenarios in multiplayer games. I just think a minimum of 9 would give a lot of flexibility to the game.

2 Likes

I have found 2v2 to be my limit before the game falls into insanity. But if we are playing with numbers, I think 12 is a nice round number. 12 is nicely divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.

Maybe they could set the game in antiquity and give us 12 civs and 12 players at once. The Babylonians used a 12-based mathematical system. They had 12 months and 12 signs of the zodiac. Circles could be divided equally into 12ths. And they could count to 12 on one hand. 12 is beautiful.

I’d never actually play with 12 players at once, but it’s still beautiful.

2 Likes

I thought the meaning of life was 42 not 12. :thinking:

2 Likes

Have a no player number limit. :smiley: Most games I can’t think of technical reasons why other than performance and maybe running out of colours I guess.

Stick with standard. If ain’t broke, don’t fix. Only innovate, make it stable.

Even 9 opens up 3v3v3 which would be really nice. Especially in diplomacy groups, games with friends and varying skill level of players etc…

For singleplayer, more than 8 players would be amazing. An epic sized AOE2 map with 16 players would be really fun to play.

The hardcore player base would probably stick to less , but I don’t see a reason to not allow for more players for the casual player base.

1 Like

Lets go 5v5. I want that madness.

2 Likes