Mega Random change/ too random/moderate the start to be more normal

MegaRandom was a lot more random in the past. If you played it many times, then you start to see the patterns. It isnt even that random. There are much more random maps, like hyper random. I wish they would include such map in the map pool. That sound really fun.

So instead of reducing the randomness in megarandom i suggest the increase the randomness on this map. It is called MegaRandom, but it doesnt really feel mega random to me.

Based on your suggestions on Nomad, you dont like these kind of maps. Not liking these maps it fine. For that reason they invented bans. So i will suggest to just use your bans for these maps if you dont like them.

You can have a budapest start. That map is an official map which has a 2 TC start. It can happen in MegaRandom as well.

2 Likes

no. Megarandom should be even more random, not less.

4 Likes

And change the name to ā€œMega, but not so Randomā€ā€¦
Seriusly, no, embrace anything out of the build orders, or simply ban the map. Part of improving in game is understand why BO are the way they are, no just following them like a recipeā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t follow build orders / I make my own/change as needed per map/enemy decisions, etc - I just do what I feel does well for me at any particular time while aiming for consistency with practice.

Change it to ā€œsomewhat randomā€

if you want to fix ranked to make it only legitimate maps, then delete all the maps without water

fish is a standard resource
some civs have bonuses for water and itā€™s part of their balance

until you can accept actual truths like that, stop trying to delete everything from ranked except the same unbalanced arena/arabia nonsense

1 Like

So, is not the best for your objective have an option of randomess that MegaRandom can provide?

Water maps with a regular start? Yeah, thatā€™s also a normal start and belongs in the regular starts queue. The thing is adaptability - how adaptable can you be with the same start yet different maps/settings

Land maps are also a regular starts type as long as the start is consistent.

I like megarandom, the different random terrian and generated resources is fun - I just donā€™t like the units and buildings suddenly increasing/decreasing/changing randomly while still being in the ranked queue for normal starts

Removing the randomness out of Megarandom is like adding oceans to Arabia. It makes honestly no sense.

2 Likes

Ranked is not just for ā€œnormal startsā€, ranked is for prove yourself and improving, and ā€œgainā€ points that reflects that improveā€¦ I think all maps should be in the map pool anyway, this way you can filter just land maps, or no nomad maps, just like normal lobbies. This way you could have the terrain randomess you want and keep MegaRandom with its core characteristic.
My conclusion: In your place, I would ask for more versatile map pool instead of cut off MegaRandom charm

itā€™s literally in the map name.

ā€œmega randomā€

not to me it isnā€™t. itā€™s in the fact that literally anything can happen.

which is part of the mapā€¦
it would be like wanting budapest to be a single tc start.

With the risk of going off-topic, to be honest, I think they kinda massacred Nomad as a map. Pre-DE Nomad was better.

3 Likes

What should happen in Mega Random is a reduction to civ wins. Maps with 12 deer and 3 boars, 12 sheep, or maps with 30 relics. Players always end up hoping for an easy civ win and for somethign thats supposed to be random there are some clear player-favorite civs.

There arent that many statistics on MegaRandom as its not played that much (900 games logged on aoestats this rotation)ā€¦ But Mongols got picked 12% of the time (40% win rate). I guess everyone hope its one of the high hunt maps, as they are common enough but not the majority.

1 Like

Are you claiming civ wins based on a win rate of 40% to show that a civ is OP on that map?!

I am claiming that as you dont have info on which sort of map you will play, the players gamble on getting the maps with high hunt and pick mongols far too often (12%!), because its a civ win if you end up on that map.
I would rather reduce variation on aspects that promote strong early bonus to be even stronger (high hunt, high herdables) so we can have more variation on the civilizations.

Another option would be to remove civ picking from Mega Random, as well as position picking, adding another layer of randomness to the experience.

PS: This isnt at all relevant in general terms and there are several other things I would like to see improved. Just a comment in regards to Mongols always being played at this map.

I feel like people pick Mongols because they have a bonus that helps scouting, so unless you make it so that mega random also makes civs random (makes sense given the theme of the map) people would pick them for this reason even with less hunts.

Itā€™s also quite a risk. Yesterday I had quite some mr games and like half of them had a nomad start. So the scouting bonus doesnā€™t give you a lot here and while the hunt bonus helps here itā€™s not op (usually youā€™d prefer more hunt to faster hunt on these maps in most situations). Then there was a map without hunt at all. So while Mongols can be insanenely strong on some mr geneations it can also be totally generic on others. I mean random civ would be cool but I donā€™t see the devs forcing random civs for certain maps in the pool while not for others.

The whole point of megarandom is that it is something different and you have to be prepared for an unusual dark age sometimes. Itā€™s part of the appeal.

There used to be a mod called ā€˜Mad Randomā€™ which was an even more crazy version of Megarandom. You could start with a siege onager or a hero (Ghengis Khan for example). It was a lot of fun!

By that very definition it is a different mode than a normal start queue