[Merged] Overlay Freezes

then there must be almost several reasons for the same problem. Because since I switched overclocking off. The problem no longer arises with me.

Iā€™ve had your exact same issue. Maybe Iā€™ll try your fix

Playing in EU west. For 2 months or so this bug has been happening aaaaall the time, canā€™t believe they havenā€™t fixed it yet, yet they add events etc but the game still crashes A LOT. Games not starting, freezes, playing a teamgame where it shows 4v4 but you only see 3 people, so it doesnt start.

Today, waited 20 minutes for a teamgame, cause it wonā€™t start, just as I get a game, a teammate crashes after 2 min, THANKS DE. Itā€™s unbelievable how many bugs are in teamgames.
So disappointed with it.

1 Like

Here is some additional diagnostic information for the issue where the game continues playing but the overlay ā€˜freezesā€™. I was spectating an online match (not replaying) when it happened.

• The highlighted yellow areas do not change and donā€™t respond to clicks. For example, the resources (236 wood), timer (00:36:55), and player queue (Researching %79) do not change.
  • The screen scrolls and units can be clicked and the game itself continues playing and is drawn correctly.
  • Clicking the on-screen pause button (lower-left) does nothing. Pressing the F3 key still works, but the ā€˜Pauseā€™ message does not appear in the center of the screen.
  • The minimap is not clickable, BUT it still updates! For example, the little rectangle showing the current view is updated correctly. Spawned units and battles still light up. Pressing Alt-C and Alt-R properly toggle the contents of the minimap.
  • Windows-D properly hides the entire window and clicking on the app tab in the title bar properly brings it back up. The screen redraws (but stays with the same frozen information). Overlay still not clickable. In other words, there is no effect when showing/hiding the window.
  • Pressing F9 (I was just experimenting with keys) caused the main game area (everything but the overlay/minimap) to go black. I was unable to get out of this state to continue testing (escape/return key did nothing).

Plenty of CPU/GPU and memory. No overclock. Game usually runs fine.

Can Devā€™s confirm that this is being fixed on asap and will be in the next patch update? This is a problem for over a month and seems to be affected depending on the server (if you have around 200 or more ping). Making half the servers you play on a gamble.

This has been happening to me and some of my friends too. Not common during 1v1 games, but quite annoyingly frequent in team games.

The game doesnā€™t crash. It just gets stuck. I canā€™t chat/pause or make anything work within the game. I donā€™t drop until I quit. Itā€™s not completely frozen because I can still click units/buildings and other buttons within the game, but nothing happens. I do hear the sounds when I click on something.

When I quit the game, I get out of the game normally and thatā€™s when everyone else sees that I resigned.

I thought it was a rare issue but some of us have been noticing this quite regularly now.

This happened again. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Can some dev help with this? TG is almost unplayable for me at the moment. This doesnā€™t happen much in unranked games, I think.

1 Like

And it happened again just now (steam id: ingreenheaven, if that helps)

1 Like

Happened to me today while I was in a ranked 4vs4.
The game just freezed and stopped responding (but the music keep playing), eventually Windows closed it by itself. The logs and the dump file from the location of the game were not modified by this event (ie the dump file has the Modification Date showing yesterday and the logs do not appear from this day ) so Iā€™ll not including them because they are useless.
Here is the recording of the game and my dxdiag:
recording game: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avs6f7XsqeDUzQg_qQ0MO1mF2L1o?e=hvLdb2
dxdiag: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Avs6f7XsqeDUyAKCex5DfdESnFLO?e=oKJh69

The freeze occurred just when I clicked on the minimap to see my base being destroyed, if that helps.

Exact same problem, happens in multiplayer games.

So yeah, my games are freezing while i play. It happened in 2 offten times right now, iā€™m so tired of it. Just wanted to make ir know. I have a good pc and connection, so it canā€™t be the problem. Regards. Thx.

This issue?

1 Like

Yeah! Happened that in more than 2 times.

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: all for the past two months or so
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • **Gamertag: MellowSG

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

When playing online, and i have only i think encountered this with playing AI the game randomly freezesā€¦ At first i had some games it would when AI reaches castle age but now i also encoutered it randomly when typing placing buildings, shift keying etc.

The game freezes but i can do pretty much everything else, go to menu, go to market, send resources (still dont know if they are actually send but game says i do. although on top i still see all my resources) Sounds/hotkeys everything is intact its just that the game itself is frozen. like a massive lag spike or something but it never continous (iā€™ve waite like 5 min on games to test this)

I also have the feeling that this occurs when playing with Asian players somehowā€¦ so it might be a bug in the Chat not prosseing asian letters so wellā€¦ but not sureā€¦

Here is the problem Iā€™m experiencingā€¦

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Play the AI, TG black forest 3v3 4v4, sorry nothing more to it really, i could not find any other pattern.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

i rewatched some games, nothing intresting to see reallyā€¦

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

Not much to see game is frozen.

I had that problem in online multiplayer, in any map. I reinstalled the game and that worked out for me.

are you online via wifi or via a lan cable?

This bug needs to be resolved asap, TGā€™s are impossible to play because every single game someone drops out/freezes.

2 Likes

This needs to be FIXED! Nearly every game someone drops out. Around 50% of my games get frozen within the first 5 minutes (with units still able to be selected, but nothing moves and nothing changes until I quit the game). Whatā€™s worse is that this has been an issue for so many people for so long and yet it seems nothing is being done about it.

1 Like

Seems like this problem is still not fixed. Now it tells you the reason ā€œlost connection to serverā€ except this happens way too often and on servers with yellow to red ping. Heck even sometimes I lose connection on WestUS (living in South East Asia) and my ping is sometimes green. So devs whatā€™s going on with your servers? Why are people consistently getting disconnected from servers? Waited two months and this issue is still not resolved.

Hard wire, i dont game trough wifi