Microsoft, DLC for AoE1 please!

Ok can this not turn into an argument about what civs belong in the game? I’ve seen enough of that back and forth in the Age2 threads. Why can’t we all just agree that the game deserves more content and leave it at that, instead of trying to convince other people that they are wrong and you are right

10 Likes

We need:
Moche-Olmecs-Mayans-Zapotecs
Ghanaians-Numidians-Nubians-Lybians-Axumites
Scythians-Xionghu
Funan-Cholas-Mauryans
Israelites-Armenians
Celts-Germans-Iberians-Vandals

Moche: One of the first South American civilization alongside with Chavin.
Zapotecs: Big empire that controlled Oaxaca
Olmecs: The first known major civilization in Mesoamerica
Mayans: Big city states, big power

New architecture sets: Nomadic, Barbarian, American

6 Likes

I don’ care which civs, I just want new content. What this game needs the most is new units/techs/upgrades, more than civs anyway.

14 Likes

I think civilizations from the new world would be an exaggeration. Adding pre-Columbian civilizations to AoE1 would be an exaggeration - I do not say that because I do not want them, but I think that their medieval history is hard to describe, let alone ancient.

The pre-Columbian civs in AoE 1 would be fantasy.
We have problems defining the peoples of Europe, so it would be an exaggeration to represent lands unknown to the Romans or the Greeks.

Instead, it should reflect the best-known civilizations as possible.

Speaking about the known lands (ie the “old world”) I meant, for example, the game map - Imperator: Rome.

6 Likes

As I said, which civs is secondary, but personally I would find the most logical follow up to rise of rome to be an “enemies of rome” expansion, adding gauls, germans, thracians and iberians (just as an example). Give to all of them the same architecture set (most likely historically innacurate but budget friendly to the dev).

Most importantly, add new units/upgrades. Here a few examples:

• Light cavalry (bronze age upgrade of scout cavalry)
  • Heavy slinger (bronze age upgrade to slinger)
  • Heavy axemen (bronze age upgrade to axemen)
  • Elite axemen: could be a cool idea for a regional unit unique to barbarian civs (iron age upgrade of heavy axemen)
  • Armored camel (iron age upgrade of camel rider)
  • Elite chariot archer (iron age upgrade to chariot archer): could be another regional unit for middle-eastern civs
  • A spearman (anti-cavalry) unit available from tool age + at least an upgrade in bronze age
  • A javelin thrower. Trash unit to deal with axemen and spearman.
  • Mounted javenlin thrower, maybe from iron age. Like a slinger with extra mobility, good against cavalry archers
  • Rams
  • Siege towers
  • Ramming ships
  • Land trade
  • Gates

These are just a few examples of stuff which could be relatively easily added to the game, treat it more like some sort of brainstorming than an actual proposal for an expansion. It does however show how easily one can come up with new ideas for an expansion for AoE DE.

14 Likes

I do not understand your arguments in this case.
Those civilizations were far closer to AoE1 levels of development (and all he requested existed in the Western Classical Era the game is based on), than any othe AoE game.

3 Likes

I think he meant to say that since neither Romans nor Greeks knew them well, they shouldn’t be included in the game. Makes sense to certain extent, but for the campaigns part only.

For custom matches, though, there’s no reason NOT to add them as new civilizations.

They also did not know the Yamato or the Choson, and those made it into the game, the Yamato even have a campaign.

4 Likes

And the Britons knew the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas? Did they know the Mongols?

1 Like

Britons did knew about teh Mongols. It was impossible not to, specially when the Mongols showed up in the Crusades.

1 Like

Yes, I know they KNEW about them, but they never met them.

I guess a better civ would be Khmer, or some African civ

1 Like

They did meet them, in the Crusades.
The Mongols also invaded the Holy Land.

5 Likes

No American civs!
It does not matter how relevant or the level of development they have had. They did not interbreed with the rest of the world at this time.
Also, the aoe1 has a technology tree that has nothing to do with it. Most units, the stable, and 3 from the archery should be discarded. Even the infantry does not fit well with America of this time.

4 Likes

Tbh I am okay with any new civilization at this point, I do have preferences such as Gauls, something from India etc but I am okay with American civs too if they can find good sources for a good campaign for them. Maybe a prelude to the events that happened in the Dos Pilas campaign in AoE2 would be interesting. But as I said I would prefer some more content from the old world :wink:

4 Likes

And the units in Aoe2 fit with American civs? Didn’t know the Aztecs ran around with very advanced crossbows, good to know though

2 Likes

I said that? Do not.
Of course, units in 2 dislodges, but at least they have unique units, eagles, monks with skin, also the technological tree of 2 is broader, it can be allowed that they do not have a stable or horse archers.
In 1 you would have Americans with hoplites and swordsmen.
Do you want that?

I never liked the inclusion of American civs in 2, but it is a 2000 game. To do so now in a new game would be stupid.

2 Likes

How would it be stupid?(I don’t think they should be added either)

1 Like

It’s good to see people that actually like aoe 1 de i mean im an aoe 2 since the begining and i now i have the de and i love it but i decided to buy the aoe 1 de because i was kinda bored of the second one and also i love the idea of playing as an ancient civilization from the iron age it’s a perfect game but sadly it has the lack of new content and few fixes that barely did a fixes the pathfinder and units get stuck with each other but still it’s a fun game but please microsoft notice the poll and do it for us but i don’t know if they will notice it since they forget the game existant but i hope they will and also this game needs new civilizations architecture designs because most of them are wrong :pensive: :blush:

2 Likes

Why not? They gave them to the Yamato, and they never had Hoplite (literally “Shield Bearer”, as the name comes from their shield, the Hoplon) Infantry.

It is not like the Olmecs did not have Clubsword or Spear Infantry.

1 Like

You say the Austrian Empire does not deserve to be represented in AoE 3.

So I’m saying America doesn’t fit in with AoE 1.

It’s easy to guess that American Civs in AoE 1 would be copy paste from AoE 2. The history of early medieval Europe is hard to study, and you want to add American Civs to an antiquity game - ufo and anime could as well be added to this game.

Better to add civ from “Old World”.

In Emperor: Rome, do you have a map of the whole world or just the Old World?

2 Likes