Microsoft Rewards encouraging bad behaviour, not working as intended

There are easier methods to keep track of them.

Using API + a bot or
https://aoe2lobby.com/
https://www.aoe2insights.com/

The reasons why I don’t want to automate this using third-party sites or APIs:

1. I want to keep this to the game experience of the actual game client.

2. The third party sites don’t show consistent lobby counts, not with the in-game lobby browser, and not even with each other.

3. The average user is not going to double-click “Load more results” at the bottom of the lobby list. I am only taking data from all the lobbies the game displays for us without us clicking “Load more results” at the end.

4. Why give room to doubt the data by questioning third party sites? For one, lobbies (both spam and non-spam) could be hidden from the average user in the in-game lobby browser; I am talking about the considerable delta between the amount of lobbies the game shows us (typically 47-49) and the third party sites (over 100).

5. The fundamental problem of the spam lobbies is they make it hard to overview all the lobbies. If they are hidden and don’t show until you click “Load more results”, they wouldn’t be nearly as big of a problem. Every single data point I take, all the instances are lobbies which the game feeds us without us having to click “Load more results”.

6. I don’t believe in any benefits in taking into account more data than what the game feeds us without having to click “Load more results”. Sure, I could make it easier for myself by using automating it using API and third party sites, that would be one benefit for me. But this would disconnect the data from the average user experience (the in-game lobby browser) and make the data more questionable. If I present spam lobby data I’ve only fetched using some API and third-party-site, are those spam lobbies actually visible to the average user in the in-game lobby browser? For me that question of doubt is not worth having to insert into the equation in exchange for the comfort for me to automate this process. The accuracy and unquestionability of the data is of superior importance to me.

7. It’s trivially easy to filter away spam lobbies using a third-party lobby browser. This issue is in essence an in-game lobby browser issue for in-game lobby browser users. And keeping the data to the in-game lobby browser keeps the data most relevant for in-game lobby browser users.

2 Likes

You’re collecting data manually. I could argue that this data isn’t consistent or valid either. If you want to do this correctly, you need to automate the process.

I am collecting it manually. I have explained to you my reasons for doing so.

You are welcome to start your own thread where you collect data using your own methodology. This would benefit the endeavour further by having multiple data sources.

I’m trying to help .if you want to keep banging your head against the wall. Do as you wish.

If you’re trying to help, you could help by starting your own thread where you collect data using your preferred methodology. Several data points with different methodologies would be beneficial.

If you’re serious about convincing me to change my methodology, you could address my reasons for sticking with my current methodology when I’ve taken time to explain them to you instead of ignoring them.

I am unsure why I “need” to do it. Do I need to do any of what I am doing at all? This is news to me. I thought I was doing this because I want to.

Why don’t you “need” to do it? Are we not entitled to your effort in this as we apparently are to mine?

2 Likes

You’re wasting your time collecting data manually when the issue is already known. They’ve even not responded to your post. I simply suggested automating the process to improve efficiency. However, whether you choose to keep track of this data is your decision, not mine. For some inexplicable reason known only to you, it’s your interest.

I have given you my reasons for my methodology. The issue is already known, but the extent of it is not yet documented well. I am enjoying this little hobby, so I don’t consider it a waste of time.

Thank you for your replies. Your objection to manual data collection has been noted. Hopefully it is worth more than no data at all (unless we are blessed with an automated methodology by you or someone else, or maybe also me if I decide to also collect it automatically in the future).

2 Likes

Addendum March 17th 14:20 (UTC+2)

15 out of 48 lobbies (31%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit U is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (27 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit C is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (27 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit OOO is still there it has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 UTC+2 (48 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit I has returned.

Lobby from exhibit O has returned.

Lobby from exhibit RRR is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (27 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit B is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (27 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit I has managed the feat to occupy two lobby slots simultaneously. Whether it’s actually one lobby or two, it is still cluttering the lobby browser with two slots on the list, deteriorating its accessibility twice as much as normally.

Lobby from exhibit N is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (27 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit M has returned.

Lobby from exhibit K is still there it has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 UTC+2 (48 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit S is still there it has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 UTC+2 (48 hours and counting).

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit UUU: “MS Points No Play”

Lobby from exhibit TT has returned.

Lobby from exhibit L has returned.

Sorry, but what is this rewards points thing with age of empires lobbies?

Beginning/top of thread explains thoroughly:

1 Like

I’ve been using Microsoft Rewards for years but I didn’t know that you could also get points by playing age of empires, maybe it’s not possible in my region?

I play AoE almost every day (I don’t need the “fake” lobbies) but I don’t think I’ve ever earned rewards from it
 :smiley:

1 Like

Addendum March 18th 11:11 UTC+2

16 out of 50 lobbies (32%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit C is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC+2 (47 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit O is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (20 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit RRR is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC+2 (47 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit S is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:20 UTC+2 (68 hours and counting).

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit VVV: “rewards only points”

Lobby from exhibit U is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC+2 (47 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit OOO is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 UTC+2 (68 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit OO has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit WWW: “MS Rewards”

Lobby from exhibit N is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC+2 (47 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit L is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (20 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit I is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (20 hours and counting). It has not managed to keep its two lobby slots up, reducing its occurrence contribution from 2 back down to 1.

Lobby frome exhibit UUU is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (20 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit GGG has returned.

Lobby from exhibit ZZ has returned.

Lobby from exhibit FF has returned.

1 Like

Addendum March 19th 12:59 UTC+2

14 out of 50 lobbies (28%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit C is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC +2 (72 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit OOO is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 (93 hours).

Lobby from exhibit EEE has returned.

Lobby from exhibit E has returned.

Lobby from exhibit UUU is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 17th 14:20 UTC +2 (45 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit I is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 17th 14:20 UTC +2 (45 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit L is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 17th 14:20 UTC +2 (45 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit FF is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least the previous addendum (25 hours and counting).

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit XXX: “MS Points no play”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit YYY: “MS reward points, not playing”

Lobby from exhibit JJJ has returned.

Lobby from exhibit K has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit ZZZ: “MS Reward Points - not playing”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit AAAA: “MS Reward Points NO PLAY AFK”

1 Like

Addendum March 20th 12:24 UTC +2

13 out of 49 lobbies (27%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit C is still there. it has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC +2 (95 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit OOO is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 UTC +2 (116 hours and counting).

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit BBBB: “MS rewards NO PLAY Game Will Never Start”

Lobby from exhibit III has returned.

Lobby from exhibit E is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (23 hours and counting).

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit CCCC: “Reward Off AFK”

Lobby from exhibit BB has returned.

Lobby from exhibit T has returned.

Lobby from exhibit TT has returned.

Lobby from exhibit SSS has returned.

Lobby from exhibit N has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit DDDD: “MS Reward Points NO PLAY AFK”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit EEEE: “MS Rewards NO PLAY”

1 Like

Addendum March 21st, 08:47 UTC +2

10 out of 48 lobbies (21%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit OOO is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 15th 14:12 UTC +2 (136 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit BBBB is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (20 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit C is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC +2 (115 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit A has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit FFFF: “rewards”

Lobby from exhibit LLL has returned.

Lobby from exhibit HHH has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit GGGG: “Microsoft Rewards NO-PLAY”

Lobby from exhibit O has returned.

Lobby from exhibit J has returned.

I think that lobby will cross 200 hours!

1 Like

Addendum March 22nd 19:47 UTC +2

9 out of 50 lobbies (18%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit BBBB is still there. it has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 20th 12:24 UTC +2 (55 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit HH has returned.

Lobby from exhibit C is still there. it has been occupying its lobby slot since at least March 16th 10:47 UTC +2 (150 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit III has returned.

Lobby from exhibit N has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit HHHH: “Microsoft Rewards Points NO PLAY AFK”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit IIII: “ms rewards no play”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit JJJJ: “Ms Rewards Points”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit KKKK: “Ms Rewards Points”

1 Like

Addendum March 23rd, 12:24 UTC +2

4 out of 47 lobbies (9%) are spam lobbies.

Lobby from exhibit FFFF has returned.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit LLLL: “MS REWARDS NO PLAY”

Lobby from exhibit N is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (16 hours and counting).

Lobby from exhibit M has returned.

1 Like

Addendum March 24th, 11:40 UTC +2

3 out of 49 lobbies (6%) are spam lobbies.

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit MMMM: “ms rewards 250 no Play”

A new instance has appeared. Exhibit NNNN: “no plaaye”

Lobby from exhibit FFFF is still there. It has been occupying its lobby slot since the previous addendum (23 hours and counting).

1 Like