Militia changes are awesome

UNITS

Long Swordsman: Melee armor increased from 0 :arrow_forward: 1.

Two-Handed Swordsman: Melee armor increased from 0 :arrow_forward: 1.

TECHNOLOGIES

Long Swordman: Cost decreased from 200 food :arrow_forward: 150 food

Supplies: Cost decreased from 150 food & 100 gold :arrow_forward: 75 food & 75 gold

All the deniers out there that thought longswords don’t need buffs “because eagle counter”, got proven wrong.

Time to spam infantry civs for free elo! Who do you think is gonna be the top dog of castle age? Japanese? Burmese BIG HITS? Malians no counter? vikings eco spam? Goths baiting enemy into archers then swapping to huskarls? And will bulgarians dominate early imperial with their 2-handed going from 8 melee armor to 9 after bagains? We are looking for ultimate cheese strat!

7 Likes

Probably none of those options, now LS are most likely a more accessible counter to eagles

1 Like

No dude, after patch it is time to overreact! MALIANS ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD. CHAMPION UPGRADE IS NOT WORTH IT NOW, GOTHS PERMABAN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

8 Likes

I am glad they made that change. That said, the Goths are still going to have trouble with Archer civilizations bullying them in Feudal.

I’m more interested in how Spanish will now deal with infantry pushes given they don’t get Xbow.

Since 99% of people who play Spanish will either go for knights or conquistadors I wouldn’t worry about that

1 Like

Yeah conqs shred infantry…

I guess I was thinking about the feudal-castle transition as a large group of maa forces them to go archers which they can’t upgrade and then they are against a mass of LS in early CA before they can get a castle down or a mass of knights out (as LS now trade evenly cost wise against knights). Maybe I’m reading into it too much but my gut is saying that they will struggle in 1v1s vs big feudal pushes.

1 Like

Just by adding siege

Makes sense 11

20 characters

This won’t change much for LS as they are still food-hefty unit for its raw power. I think spamming swordsman in Castle age is still challenging. But LS become more handy to counter eagles and goths rush.

1 Like

its great, certainly took them long enough to buff the militia line

its yet one more thing we can say “i told you so”

I dont think most people thought militia were fine.

From what I saw most people thought

1. minor buffs wouldn’t help much
  2. bigger buffs would require multiple changes.
  3. buffs to make them compete would require a rework of the militia line.

I believe that these changes won’t see much of an increase (at the competitive level, ie tournaments) in the use of the militia line.

which is fine, but at 1400 elo im already seeing a spike in their usage, it might not be the meta, but its sure a lot more fun than it used to be. and im mainly talking about the civs that get infantry bonuses (vikings, burmese, malians etc)

2 Likes

Pretty sure even flaming camels got a spike in usage after being buffed

Everything sees a spike in usage. It’s called trying it out.

I dont think we’re going to see long term spike though. And sorry to say this but at lower skill levels literally anything can work

1 Like

Nailed it.

You see people using them because it’s new, not because they now think it’s good. Further, if it catches on in some limited sense, it’ll be because people are experimenting with it now, not because one extra melee armor has unlocked some absurd potential.

2 Likes

Just finished watching a game of Daut (Malians) vs. Hearttt (Slavs), where Daut won with the Militia line. Though Hearttt had an archer opening for some reason against Malians as Slavs :man_shrugging:, putting Daut far ahead in the early game. Nevertheless Daut basically says, so far, that the changes make getting to Long Swordsman a lot smoother. A lot more testing on these changes will have to happen over the weeks, and maybe months. But if there’s one pro player to watch when it comes to huge Militia line buffs, then it’s Daut, because I know one of Daut’s biggest wishes for the game is the Militia line to be viable as a standard army composition.

5 Likes

If anything has a profound impact on the militia line by these changes, it’ll definitely be Supplies. Suddenly costing half as much food makes it extremely affordable.

6 Likes

With Kts ? Or with their own İnfantry ? Perfect Gunpowder units ? what else u need ? omg!!!

1 Like