Militia line units are underrepresented wouldn't you say?

In the AOE2:DE demo the food cost for the militia line appeared to be reduced to 45 food. That would help with making the barracks units more useful.

1 Like

Food cost doesn’t really matter if they just get slaughtered. if your’e spamming champions and they have any gold unit against you, you’ll run out of gold and you’ll get pushed back because your champs will melt so you’ll perpetually be outnumbered because your opponent never lets you get back to max pop by pressuring you, your new champs arrive to the battle too slowly, so it snowballs into being outnumbered even if you are spamming as fast as you can.

Maybe Champions are good at killing buildings, but they’re still never seen in pro games outside of Goths or Slavs, and they’re never used in Team games because Long swords are worthless in the decisive castle age battles.

1 Like

Food cost absolutely matters, in fact it’s the main limiting factor in why they are NOT commonly seen in competitive play mid game.

In castle age your natural gold resources are essentially unlimited. You have as much gold as you can collect without worrying about it running out. Food you can only gather from farms at this point which you have to invest into which makes it harder to boom and make food heavy military.

If you have to make a food costing unit, you can either have a knight which costs 60 food, or a long sword, which also costs 60 food. It’s not really much of a choice at the moment, knights are simply better for the same food investment. The only exception is vs meso civs going full eagles, in which case you do see longswords used as an answer to this infrequent strategy - especially seen with civs with weak/no knights.

A great example of a recent game (played last week) involving heavy standard infantry usage was the Yo vs Liereyy game on the map Seize the Hump in the tournament Mangrove Shallows Cup.

Now i wanna see that game cause i looked it up on YT but I couldn’t find it. xD

Even if Long Swords do counter eagles, but eagles are still faster and better at raiding, and the counter is not the same especially in castle age. Long Swords melt to mass knights or xbows, but just get better trades on the eagles. LS do have an advantage vs eagles, but its not the same as getting absolutely murdered.

Longswords absolutely murder eagles if you can force the fight. You always full wall vs eagles to prevent the raiding while you go forward and make them react to you.

As for the game I mentioned you can find it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afW65Zb0rkY Go to 1:42:00. Don’t really want to spoiler the series more than that as it was a great set.

K fair enough i see that they do, but Id still prefer eagles. and full walling is easier said than done sometimes.

Use cavalry to kill archers, not champions…

2 Likes

The improvement of supplies in Feudal for the militia (in showmatch AoE2DE) could have not only -15F but also +1 Pierce Armor and +10 hp. Or also change from 0.9 to 1.0 speed, because the archers go to 0.96 (more disadvantage). The Spearman have 1.0.

I say keep M@A the way it is now. Just give 1/2 armor from Castle and rest of the unit lines(kinda ok not having this buff) and a slight speed buff(it’s a must. seems like never can’t run away from bad fight) and introduce shield wall feature for this unit(concept idea is here: [Suggestion] Shield Wall feature for Infantry)

1 Like

no HP buff but can get Pierce Armor for Long Sword instead. Speed buff is a must. Toooo slow to run for bad engagement.

I’m fine Cavs being counter to Swordsman line(not spear).

I mean use cavalry to kill archers. Don’t use champions to kill archers.

1 Like

mm I think it’s the right thing. If we put more hp or more armor or more speed to the infantry they would become cavalry. The idea is not to lose the essence of each unit. Maybe being cheaper and improving your Pathfinding would be the best.

You know, the one upgrade I rly like for infantry in AoE1 is the one that makes infantry only take half the pop space, so 10 infantry would only take 5 pop space.
Maybe the swordman line could get a tuned down version of it, so 3 units occupy 2 spaces (aka each swordman would take 2/3 of a pop space)

1 Like

Not a bad idea actually. As long as you are not asking it for War Elephants.

Here’s a web video about under-used counter units that names (spoiler) champions as the number 1. Personally I use militia line every chance I get. They constantly get underestimated, are cheap, and can sack and imperial base in the 28-35 minute range fairly easily before your enemy has a chance to realize how it happened.

3 Likes

Now with the new supplies technology they will be even cheaper.

Man… supplies sounds awesome. I really like the Malay for cheap two handed swordsmen used as trash units in the late game. But with militia costing less gold in late game you will really have more range of options

1 Like

Yes more options would be available for Malay.

Yeah they murder buildings easily, but they’re still not that strong by themselves for their current cost (supplies might change that), archers and knights can easily kill them without much effort.
This is y I like to play Goths tho, Huskarls are like militia line done right in a way.

• Created quickly
  • Almost immune to arrows
  • Also have great building damage bonus
  • Stats almost as good as the ones from the militia line
  • Civ bonus makes them rly cheap

There’s like nothing better than swarm the enemy base with 80+ huskarls and watch them murder everything on their path (the only things that can actually pack a punch against them are some siege units and hand cannoneer variants, knights are still individually stronger but they’ll be in much smaller numbers, tho steppe lancers could potentially change things)