Mods fail to install on UTF-8 User name folders

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: v 100.12.56860.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
    (by the way, I know this is low priority and I am copying the files in the right folder to see if it works. Just a heads up for the devs, maybe a lot of non-US/UK/Canada players have this and report mods “not working”)

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down:Mod installing system fails on non-ASCII character
The games installs at the ASCII-encoded place in the system.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Have a non-ascii character in your name expl: François
  2. Install a mod
  3. Mod gets installed at C:/Users/François/games/ageof3DE/numbers/mods/

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
Mod gets installed in C:/Users/François/games/ageof3DE/numbers/mods/

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe3Ysav) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe3Yrec) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.
N/A

1 Like

I confirm that moving the misplaced files back at their original locations makes the mods functional.

To add even more details : I got said folder because my first instinct was that non-admin executions of AoE3 did not have the right privileges. After executing AoE3 as an admin, the folder was created. Subsequent (non-admin) executions can write into the wongly-named folder.

This is knows since the release of the game.
^^

2 Likes

Woops. Searched in the forums, couldn’t see it. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

After discussion with DrMaxy to see if this was spam or not (Thanks again) I post here a potential permanent workaround for the issue.

1 - Go into the wrongly named folder with the numbers, and copy the whole path. In my example : C:\Users\François\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\76561198075336164
2 - type “terminal” in your windows searchbar. A “command prompt” result should appear. Right click on it and select “launch as administrator”
3 - enter “cd”, a space, and then paste the whole path , it should look like this :
cd C:\Users\François\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\76561198075336164
4 - Hit enter
5 - Note the whole path of the Right folder. In my example : C:\Users\François\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\76561198075336164\mods
6 - Apply the following command :
mklink /J mods <paste the right you noted in step 5 here>

it should look like this :

mklink /J mods “C:\Users\François\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\76561198075336164\mods”

This should fix the problem as long as you don’t delete any of the folders.

Hello everyone, thanks for your reports. We’re tracking this issue internally!

Thanks !
If it’s of any use @gmenyhart , I confirm that my workaround has been working for the last 2 patches (for me at least) : I can freely DL and use all the mods.

I like your workaround! It’s unfortunate that you and other players have to use this workaround in the first place, so we will look into making a solution for this issue. Thanks :+1:

1 Like