More Transparency for Prerequisites

I wish there was more transparency when it comes to the building requirements for certain buildings. For instance, I haven’t played AoE in years so I didn’t know I had to build a market first in order to build a farm. Then this last game I was wondering how to build another TC, turns out I needed a government center first. Both these requirements are very unintuitive for a new player.

I think instead of the Farm and Town Center icons being absent until their prerequistes are built, they should show up when you reach the appropriate age, but be greyed out, and upon rollover they should simply say “you must build X to build Y”. I think that system would be much better than how it is now. When you want a farm you’re looking for a farm button.

Obviously this same philosophy should extend to units as well, for instance chariots need wheel to be built, but you wouldn’t even know you could build chariots until you look at the wheel technology.

That kills the surprise of the discovery that was in the original.
And for the one who already played a game, he already knows it.

@korowizard said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s as much a fun surprise as it is an annoyance…spending 5 minutes trying to figure out how to build a farm isn’t fun.

@Lemons224 said:

@korowizard said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s as much a fun surprise as it is an annoyance…spending 5 minutes trying to figure out how to build a farm isn’t fun.

guy in my times we have a tech tree to memorize this little things.

For you it is a nuisance, because you played the original and you already know about the existence of the farms. You just do not remember how to do them.
For a new player it maybe a great surprise to unlock builds by building others.

Andy’s What we know thread listed “Completely revamped UI” as a feature. I was really hoping this would include an in game tech tree for each civilization. That would honestly be really helpful for this situation, but also at any point where you’re trying to figure out what units to make or what units the other person might field. (e.g. they’re making short swordsmen? But they can’t upgrade those right? Oh crap they can, so what can I do about that?)

It makes the game much more accessible, and that’s a good thing. I don’t want to feel the miracle of discovery every time I try to transition into (late) iron age aggression and find out after buying all the situationally useless infantry shield upgrades that this civ doesn’t get armored elephants, and I have to start building a brand new siege unit production line instead for the job I wanted them to do. That’s just losing a game by means of it not containing enough information about itself. And it’s pretty much the same thing if I think I can’t make armored elephants because I forgot I needed those shield upgrades and end up trying to switch into a unit I actually can’t make.

So I agree with the OP: this information should be somewhere in the game. It makes it a lot more fun for everyone at a player level between “completely new to the game and only wants to experience the wonder or discovery” and “knows everything”, which is a significant part of the potential player base. The only reason it wasn’t in the game originally was limited storage capacity on computers at the time, so all of that stuff was moved to the booklet. But the DE is not going to have one of those, and the storage capacity was judged to be large enough by the time aoe2 rolled around two years later. This would be on my wishlist waaaaaay above any update in graphics or sound, around the same level as a raised pop limit and better pathfinding.

(Note that I’m not in the beta, I wouldn’t know if this is actually already in there or not, I’m just agreeing it should be.)